“Karen Tamarind”

Price range: US$50 - US$100
Cuisines: African, Asian, French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Nairobi's iconic seafood restaurant which originally opened in August 1977, has recently moved from the Central Business District to the leafy suburbs of Karen at the Karen Blixen coffee Garden. The menu is a blend of the best of French, Asian and African cuisines with specialties such as the famous Prawns Piri Piri, and Chilli Crab which have earned the Tamarind worldwide fame.
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The Tamarind in Nairobi has been one of our favourite restaurants for 30 years! Unfortunately in recent years the hassles of going into the city centre meant that we almost stopped going completely. Now that the restaurant has moved to Karen we have had the opportunity to take visitors twice since it opened. We are delighted to find that only the venue has changed. The food is as good as ever and the service exceptional. If you like variety we recommend the seafood platter. Not only did our visitors take photographs but guests from other tables even asked to take pictures! If you enjoy seafood this restaurant is a must.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Tamarind has been a staple Nairobi restaurant for many years, but has recently moved from the centre of town to Karen, taking over a premises previously used by another restaurant. It doesn't seem to have done the quality of the food any harm. A group of us tried it out last week, and of course how could you possibly imagine that you would start with anything other than breaded crab claws!! They are to die for. I have never been to the Tamarind (over 20 times in my life) without trying them usually as a starter but sometimes doubled up as a main. Prawns peri peri as a main, and others had the crab in ginger and reef fish. The ice cream to finish comes as always with your name inscribed on the plate in chocolate sauce along with a witty inscription. The waiting staff were delightful, very happy to help and suggest alternatives. One of the worlds great restaurants, sea food biased to be sure. Give it a try.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was one of the best meals I've had in recent times, everything was absolutely superb from the service provided by the waiters to the quality of the food. I had the Hibiscus flamed seafood as a starter, a very well served, fresh seafood dish. As the main I had a superb chilli crab, which proved to be the best crab I ever had. The meat was very tender and it was clear that the crab was as fresh as you can get. The chilli sauce was absolutely amazing and complemented superbly the freshness of the crab. To finish off I had the trio of chocolate, a pure indulgence. Definitely a place to visit everytime I come to Nairobi.

1  Thank GoncaloFaria
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had dinner here last night, and really like the new look - it is superb! The lights have an Arabic feel, the mirrors are placed just right. The subtle color, the dominant painting, and soft non-intrusive background music create the ideal atmosphere. I also liked the "Kindly switch off your mobile phone" notice on each table. It was intimate - felt like we were the onlynones in the restaurant. Alex and David were great, and Fred attended to everyone, making sure guests were happy - he's like an old friend to many. Did I mention that the seafood was fantastic?
I like it - it's the place to go for an intimate dinner!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Once you start eating their food, there's no going back and they have wounderfull packaging for take away