“Steep Decline in overall Service”
Review of Thorn Tree Cafe

Thorn Tree Cafe
Ranked #57 of 593 Restaurants in Nairobi
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 13 March 2014

As a regular at the Thorn tree, I am disappointed by the turn of events. Your toilets were smelly last evening, the service from staff poor and complaints to your customer service was met with rudeness. Whenever I post a negative tweet, all i get is assurances that there will be improvement. Shame that months later, it is actually much worse!

Ben K, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued support and for taking time out to give us your valuable feedback.

We value constructive feedback as it enables us to continuously monitor and improve our services, and thus exceed our guests’ expectations always.

We have noted with a lot of concern your comments on the aspects of lapse in customer service. We assure you that the issues raised will be duly addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Thorn Tree Cafe.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Imagine craving a Salade Nicoise and cafe au lait on a Sunday afternoon in Nairobi. Walk in to the Thorn Tree Cafe and be greeted by a pleasant hostess who has no problem with you refusing her seating offer and choosing your own seat in the middle of the breezy sunlit patio. Note the background jazz unobtrusively mask the street traffic, and order your meal from an attentive but unobtrusive waiter.

While you sip your drink, note that the message board from 1902 still remains in the center of the patio (now closed off from the street), as a polite nod to tradition. (Make a mental note to contribute to the variety of whimsical writings posted by customers.)

Meet Gerard the Giraffe (my name for him - we later agreed that I could call him Gerry next time we meet) whose quizzical countenance will capture your attention after awhile...he is a life-sized steel plate welded sculpture who appears complacently comfortable in the surroundings. (And not too judgemental of your grossly overwritten review as he looks over your shoulder.)

Your generous salad will arrive presently with fresh butter lettuce, multicoloured sweet peppers, crisp haricots, artichoke hearts, and tuna (alas not fresh, but still perfectly acceptable). Ruminate with Gerard and enjoy the breeze, feeling relaxed and refreshed. Remember to try some of the fresh rolls that come with the salad - the sesame seeds are fresh!

Thank you, Anthony (waiter) for not inquiring about my home country, my business or requesting my business card, but concentrating on how to make my dining experience pleasant and professional.

Great start to a week-long business trip at the Stanley.

Now, if only I can get my room changed to a higher floor with a view, I'll be in Stanley Sartori.

1  Thank winxalot
David G, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Mr. Winxalot,

Greetings from the Sarova Stanley and the Thorn Tree Café.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your very insightful and enjoyable review –
Your review captures the imagination and sets the scene for what we aim to offer all our guests – astute service, backed by quality meals all served in a renowned ambiance.

We thank you for your comments regarding your Meal and you server – Anthony – indeed he has been acknowledged for the his efforts in excelling at his duties.

We are extremely glad that you enjoyed your meal experience – and with the change in room, hope you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was indeed a pleasure to host your and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Spacious, courteous staff, good menu. I am not much of a food person but even then I always find the variety of meals helpful. Good for some quiet meetings too.

David G, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Digital Doctor,

I would like to thank you for choosing to dine at Thorn Tree during your stays and reviewing its services.

We believe not only in serving quality meals to our guests but also offering them variety; thank you for highlighting the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon,

Reviewed 10 February 2014

The atmosphere and menu selection. there isa new giraffe part of the thorn tree. this makes it even more exciting.

David G, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Letters from Diani,

I would like to thank you for choosing to dine with us at Thorn Tree and share your feedback.
The giraffe is a new addition, and it provides an excellent companion to our famous Thorn Tree – hence, we are so happy to note your appreciation of the same.

Please do visit us again soon, we look very much forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

On the spur of the moment we decided to have lunch at the New Stanley on Christmas Eve 2013 - my husband having visited the Old Stanley a few times. Unfortunately we were too late to have lunch in the Thai restaurant - it closes at 2pm - which is what we originally planned. However, we stayed and had lunch in the Thorn Tree Cafe. The atmosphere was good and the tables were not too close to one another. It took a while for our drinks to come up after ordering and so did the food, But we were not in a hurry and thought it a good sign. The food was excellent although I asked for some vinegar and did not get it until I was half way through my lunch. Given the fact that the surroundings were comfortable and the food excellent, the service was very poor and totally unexpected. We had to wait for our second drink and when we asked for the bill - twice - it was only when we got up and went to the pay station, that a waiter asked us what we wanted. He managed to produce our bill. This was 25 minutes after asking for it the first time. All in all the poor service let them down.

David G, General Manager at Thorn Tree Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Gina F,

Thank you for taking the time to visit us and share your experience with us on Trip Advisor.
Firstly apologies that you were not able to make it into the Thai Chi; however, we are glad that you got to experience lunch in our legendary Thorn Tree restaurant.

It is extremely gratifying to note you truly enjoyed the ambiance and food itself; The executive chef and his team will take great pride in noting this.

Regarding the service, let me assure you that this is not what we expect from our service staff and we set their standards much higher, we shall take these comments into account and action on them.

We hope to welcome you back soon again to the Thorn Tree Café;