New Hillcrest Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Palacina Residence & Suites(Nairobi)
US$218
Agoda.com
  • Pool
US$123
US$105
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2011

I personally prefer to stay in downtown Nairobi rather than in Westlands, but downtown is very noisy at night. If you prefer quiet in the evenings, I think New Hillcrest Hotel is a decent option. I had a single room for KES 3000 per night. It was comfortable, clean, and quiet. I had no problems at all with the room. It is nice to be able to walk to Sarit Centre, but do be aware that if you have business downtown in the morning, it might be difficult to find a taxi, and there will be lots of traffic; plan accordingly and leave early if you can.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank dumpendebat
Reviewed 24 October 2009

I highly recommend the Hillcrest to family and friends. But it all depends on what sort of experience you are looking for.

Hillcrest hotel is excellently situated if you want to be in Westlands. You can easily walk to Sarit centre in just five minutes. You can easily access the clubs and restaurants and your business contacts or friends. The hotel is right on a very major road but in the rooms the roadway sounds are distant and faint.

Hillcrest hotel is not the right choice if your idea of a good hotel is to sit by the pool and be served margaritas and french fries. Hillcrest has no french fries and no pool - but that's just not the specialty.

The specialty of Hillcrest hotel is affordable accommodation of an African-style for people who want to see the city and consider their hotel to be the place they sleep and read and shower.

By "African-style" I mean a big parking lot and a secure front gate. A courtyard style arrangement which is cool, serene, and safe feeling. Rooms which are painted concrete and bathrooms where the shower faucet is not confined to a stall.

Hot water is available for 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. The beds are comfortable and clean with a nice thick wool blanket and another cotton blanket to protect against chilly Nairobi nights.

There are small tv's with local channels in the room. Soap is provided. The rooms are large with a desk and a reading lamp and a large closet.

The Hillcrest is SECURE as far as me and all my friends can tell from personal experience. I feel very safe there.

Breakfast is included and is hearty with eggs, sausage, toast, corn flakes, fresh fruit, juice, tea/coffee. Lunch and dinner are available but you have to pre-order (not uncommon in Africa). These are again, hearty and huge and well priced at about 400ksh for the meal.

My double room cost 4000 ksh. There are also singles, Twins, and Tripples available at different prices.

People who have travelled local-style african hotels before will find this very comfortable. But it's nothing like the Holiday Inn so don't be surprised.

I will stay there again every time I'm in Nairobi or at least until I can afford the Fairmont or the Serena.

As for location, for those of you not aware Westlands is just a bit northwest of city centre/downtown. So if you are in Nairobi on downtown business this is not the best location. But if you are in Nairobi to see the baby elephants, visit the museum, eat great food, and tour a few masai markets, then this is as good a location as any and even better than most. Just don't try to take a taxi between 6 and 9am because of rush hour.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank itzakadoozie
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I arrived at the New Hillcrest Hotel directly from Nairobi's airport (having flown in from Amsterdam) and was rather certain that I'd arrived at the wrong hotel....the place seemed deserted and rundown, with a forlorn, rusty sign outside the iron gate marking the entrance. Entering the hotel confirmed my suspicions...this hotel was not the pleasant and reasonable place I'd expected for the US$50/night price. Mind you, the staff was kind, but the conditions of the facilities were very poor and should have been priced at something more like $US15. Hot water was available only in the early mornings and evenings - not in the afternoons or late night. The mattress was in poor condition, as were the sheets. There were no screens on the windows. I'm a frequent traveler to Africa and other developing parts of the world, and if I were paying $15, I would consider this reasonable and could tolerate the bad conditions. I mentioned to management the disconnect between the price and the facilities, and the response was "we are in Westlands, it's very expensive here." High costs are no excuse for letting a property become totally rundown (including a broken toilet seat in my room's bathroom). As soon as I got my bearings in Nairobi I switched hotels and found a hotel of similar price offering apartments with a kitchen (in good condition) - a phenomenal improvement. The Hillcrest does offer easy walking access to some things in Westlands, but it's a very poor value. I would recommend the Kenya Comfort Suites Hotel on Milimani Rd. (not the Kenya Comfort downtown).

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo