“Good clean budget option for Nairobi”
Review of The Ndemi Place

and 1 more site!
The Ndemi Place
Ranked #55 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Our first choice of hotel was full so decided to stay here based on the positive reviews. In general we were pleased with our choice, the personal touch was nice and Monica and Thomas were very helpful with directions, advice & arranging excursions. Monica could only recommend one restaurant which was within walking distance, DiVino, which was very nice but according to the guidebook there were others close by too. But she was very kind to arrange a taxi to pick us up after the meals at the restaurant.

Downside was that it was difficult to sleep, the first evening which was a Saturday, other guests came back very late and were really noisy so got woken up. When breakfast is being prepared, which is about 6am, you can hear the footsteps on the wooden floors of someone going in and out of the kitchen. Since our room was next to reception, you could hear all the conversations through the wall. If we had a different room, perhaps it would have been quieter.

The second night was even noiser, with some American guests who arrived in the middle of the night, shouting something about hot water. Another guest left at around 4.30am presumably for an early flight so was woken with all the noise of the discussion with the taxi driver, the car and the suitcase being rolled through the guest lounge. With the thought of being woken again when it was time for breakfast to be prepared we got up and left early for the airport and missed breakfast.

The breakfast was disappointing, the fruit was very nice but had some mud on the skin of the watermelon so did not want to eat it, then we were asked if we would like bacon or sausage, to which we replied bacon, but then got sausage plus 2 pieces of cold toast. It just was not a nice breakfast - based on this we decided not to have an evening meal prepared but to go out both evenings to a restaurant.

The bathroom also was a problem, since there was no power in the shower at all, it was just a trickle of water.

The gardens were lovely though and the building really nice too, Steve one of the drivers was particularly helpful and took us on all the excursions within Nairobi which was great plus to and from the airport (our arrival flight was delayed by about 2 hours but he waited there for us all that time). It was nice to come back to the guesthouse after the excursions but missed the facilities of a hotel, where you could take a drink at the bar or simply have a cup of tea in the lovely gardens, so it was boring, but then again, it is only a guesthouse.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fru_sorteravn
There are newer reviews for The Ndemi Place

Reviewed 18 November 2010

My first time in Kenya. Spent a few days in Nairobi before traveling to Kisumu. Then back again to Nairobi before flying back home. Stayed at Ndemi place both times I was in Nairobi.
- Monica: Reservations handled very well by Monica. I called once, then exchanged a few emails with her to get payment and airport transfer arrangements. She was very clear and prompt with her responses, and very kind and cheerful too.
- Thomas: Took care of my every need in the evening and early morning. Thomas gave me his mobile number, helped me buy a local sim card from Safaricom, and anticipated my every need. He was always there even before I needed him.
- Cosmos: He would wait on me each morning, to prepare breakfast for me and the other guests. He had a ready smile and a genuine desire to please. He also prepared dinner for me one evening. It was an excellent meal of asparagus soup and chicken curry, with fruit salad for desert. Set up by candle light. I totally enjoyed that.
- Evans - Was the taxi driver that Thomas assigned to me. His car was a 90s era Toyota. A bit old but comfortable enough and still reliable. Since this was a business trip, I had to make frequent trips into town. Evans was always available to me wherever I needed to go. With my Safaricom number, I could call him on my mobile phone each time I needed him. He knows the streets of Nairobi very well and brought me to the exact places I wanted to go. Never got lost. The fare was also very reasonable.
- My room was simple, but very comfortable. Hot shower. Comfortable bed. No TV in the room, though. Had WiFi access from my room and decent connection speed.
- The place was very quiet and felt very safe. The living room has a TV and a PC with internet connection for free use of the guests. When the place is full, the living room is a good place in the early evenings to meet the other guests and swap travel stories.
- Location: is very convenient. Very close to Adam's Arcade and Junction Mall, both of which have a Java House where you can have dinner. Junction Mall has a large Supermarket. Adam's Arcade is walking distance, but walking alone at night is not encouraged.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank ItalixManila
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Ndemi is a rare thing in Nairobi, being in tranquil and leafy Kilimani and relatively cheap, though doubles are not nearly as good value as singles or twins. The staff are discrete and very nice, especially Chef Cosmos. The WiFi is free and first rate - by far the fastest I've found in Kenya. The rooms are pleasant and clean, if a bit noisy - there is nothing but birdsong to mask the sound of heavy footsteps on gravel or floorboards.
The trouble for me is that it is very much a guest house rather than a hotel. They make no secret of that. But when you are lounging in the garden you'll probably want a G&T but you can't order one. And when you decide to head out for a drink or dinner, you'll need a taxi and maybe to track down the manager to order you one, and maybe it will take half an hour for him to find one. Maybe he'll give up. After about 9pm they lock the house doors from the inside so you'll have to rouse the manager to get back in.
In summary, it's a great place to stay if you want a haven of peace in Nairobi and you believe the Nairobbery stories of the city after dark. If you're in a hurry or you want to hit the town, you'll probably find it's not trying to compete with the hotels.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Usshi
Reviewed 9 October 2010

We only stayed at Ndemi place for a couple of nights as we were climbing mount Kenya, but the owners couldn't have been more helpful. They allowed us to leave our bags there while we were on the climb, they gave us recommendations of places to go and what to see in Nairobi.

The rooms were comfy and the breakfast was great. Really lovely place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank queenirv
Reviewed 5 September 2010

kenya is absolutely beautiful and so are the people. ndemi place gives you the good kenyan spirit and good service. enjoy the reasonably priced rooms and best chef in the area. ndemi also provide access to tours and is a very peaceful and restful green space. you can have a quiet cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon and read quietly near the fireplace on cool nights. the staff looks after you like a kenyan family member. the number one place to stay in kenya. enjoy the kenyan green space and hospitality at ndemi place. a wonderful experience in beautiful kenya. - dominic t. moulden

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank moulden
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Nice and comfy place with a devoted staff. Excellent and cheap meals ( good quality versus price).
In July/August, remember to ask for a blanket and bring warm clothes as nights are very fresh and the cold enters the sleeping room and the bathroom.

Water warmed through electric "instant shower" (common in Kenya)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank WilliamfromToulouse
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I have to admit that Ndemi place was not my first choice. I got there because my first choice of place was completely booked and had no room for me. I planned to stay at Ndemi place until I'll find another place, but after I got there, I didn't look for another place. The best thing about Ndemi place, is that they really make you feel as if you are at home. The staff is very friendly and whenever you need some help, they are more than happy to give it for you. The rooms are very nice and clean. The showers have hot water all the time. There is a free wifi that can be used, and if you don't have a laptop with, you can use a P.C. in the lobby for free. The food is great (The only complain that I heard about the food was that the portions are too big and it is hard to finish it) and the chef is one of the friendliest guys that I've ever met. In short – Ndemi place is a great place to stay at and I'm sure that anyone that will be there won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo