“Terrible Experience”
Review of Malu

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Malu
Ranked #11 of 204 Speciality Lodging in Nairobi
Nairobi, Kenya
“Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We went to Malu again after been there twice in the last 2 years and had a terrible experience (small group of 3 families, 6 adults and 9 kids).

When we arrived we discovered that they having only 2 rooms and not 3 rooms as booked by our agent, the lodge staff was not able to explain why and we were forced to use one villa for 2 families..
then, we asked to prepare our lunch on time because of the kids, after 2 hours nothing was ready and we were forced to wait and wait.. the local lodge staff was unable to provide us any solution and we discovered that there is no senior manager on ground, we tried calling the lodge manager but no one picked our calls..

Compare to our previous visits this hotel service level dropped and its below any reasonable standard, we cannot recommend going there anymore,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Eran F
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
As your review and the review after you are ostensibly the same booking, giving the same review, I shall reply to both. I feel that your review is deeply unfair and unwarranted.

In the first instance, your booking was made by through an Agent - Our Booking Sheet, which was sent as confirmation to your Agent clearly showed which rooms had been booked - as I explained in my email - I don't know why, and I cannot be held responsible for the information that your Agent confirms with you. You were given the rooms that your Agent had booked - we were fully booked that weekend, and couldn't change your rooms. I am sorry that your room was not ready at 11.30am when you checked in, we had guests who were leaving the rooms as you arrived - and the rooms needed to be made up - this was done in haste for you, despite check in not normally available until early afternoon.

Its seems that this initial issue left you upset and angry and you took that out on the Manager. It was the Manager of the Lodge and Property that you dealt with. He was on site and tried to placate you at all times. To say that he is not "senior enough" is degrading. He is a very gentle man and as all other reviews on this site will attest - he and my staff are "lovely".

I understood the veiled messages in your emails and so your poor review was not unexpected. Though to have two people from the same booking make two reviews is unfortunate as it does drag down our ratings, but I trust others will understand.

I am sorry that you had a bad time, I am sad that you only left a bad review when you had a bad time, and not when you had lovely times on previous visits - however I am convinced that we at Malu are paying the price for a mistake made in the booking by your Agent - and indeed your Agent became most angry with me as they felt I had informed you of the booking price, vs what the Agent had charged you - perhaps that was the value for money complaint. Again - we cannot be held responsible for actions outside our sphere of control.

I hope that you may be fairer in your reviews to others in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
London,
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We loved our 3 night stay at Malu. The cottages are charming and rustic, with comfortable beds, roaring fires and great attention to detail. I was slightly put off by the previous poster who complained that the cottages were rundown but am glad I paid no attention. If you want pastiche safari style this is not the place, but if you like un-ostentatious luxury then go to Malu. The food was lovely - and very plentiful - and the staff charming and helpful. We had the place largely to ourselves and enjoyed walking, horse riding, beautifully prepared sundowners and chilly afternoons inside by the fire. I'm already trying to find occasions to return.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank London_Back_pack
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you so much for your honest review of Malu, it really is so nice for someone who has had such a lovely time to take the trouble to write a review, thank you. It is interesting to see the reviews of Malu, and one persons charm and quiet luxury is definitely not for the person wanting an "everything perfect and exactly the same concrete city hotel could be anywhere stay" - We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and hope you will come back and visit us again.
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Loved it, loved it, loved it! The staff was great, and the food delicious. We stayed at Mahindu Cottage which was nice, and our dog enjoyed the grounds! We even took a game drive in the night and DH went bird watching. Will be back!
The road was terrible though, and we didn't have an SUV :-(

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rosakn
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you for your review. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave us such a nice review. We do welcome dogs, and Malu is a heaven for them to explore and run and run and run. They are always welcome. I'm sorry the road up was a bit bad - sadly the road to Malu doesn't belong to us and tends to be worse just after the rains at the end of April and May - but you will be pleased to hear the neighbours all chipped in and we have given the road a good make over - just hope the next rains aren't too heavy! Many thanks and come back soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

From horse riding to bird watching, and buffalo too, this was a true escape to nature.
A group of ten of us were made to feel totally at home, and the cottages were extremely romantic.
All the staff were fantastic - just very sweet.
The location was wonderful for nearby game parks, and we enjoyed the feeling of being far away from the hustle and bustle too.
Lying on the sofa on my cottage terrace... watching the tiny Dik Dik dears running through the grass. Just magical!

Room Tip: Ask for the cottage at the end of the row... secluded and lovely!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Zara B
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you for your lovely review. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Malu and hope that we will be able to welcome you back again one day soon. We always appreciate our delighted guests taking the time to tell us of the brilliant things as much as we appreciate the need for some guests to remind us where we need to do a little better and try a little harder. Thank you.
Nairobi
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Malu Farm is really run down and needs a thorough clean up especially the cottages and bathrooms! They were dusty and full of cobwebs! We spent 2 nites in the cottages and the bugs and cobwebs were there despite the beds being done!
The food definitely needs to be improved......not Italian at all as per your website Waiters should know wha'ts on the menu for each meal and they were slow serving the meals especially with kids! They had no juices for the children!
The farmyard needs to be more kid friendly with staff that can talk about the animals too! My kids did enjoy milking the cow and collecting the chicken eggs though!
The highlight of our stay was the Plunge Pool! Absolutely amazing!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you feel Malu is "run down" - We received some lovely reviews from other guests staying at the same time as you and I looked into your complaint to see if there was something underlying - and I am not sure - we had guests who extended their stay over the period, we had others staying at the same time who booked to come back at the end of their Kenya stay - they loved it. We had a large group that I think overlapped with you and their review was superb. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations and I will ensure that we do all that we can to raise our standards - we really aren't happy until ALL of our guests are happy. Thank you for taking the time to offer us a review and we will take your comments on board and strive to be better.
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Malu is a beautiful lodge in a private forest reserve about 95 kilometers out of Nairobi. We got in after they were done serving lunch but they were still kind enough to go back to the kitchen and prepare lunch for us. A very friendly service man - Joseph explained where our cottage was (not an easy feat to get it in the night and with heavy rains). The romantic cottage is quite old and has a rustic feel, needs major refurbishing all round. Overall I greatly enjoyed my time here, it was peaceful and serene and just the ideal place to relax. The food was great and they even offer to bring it to the rooms. They light up a fire in the cottage which is great. The staffs are super friendly. The swirl pool isn't all that, so don't get your hopes high.. All said a lovely place and worth a visit. Work on the rooms and i'd give an excellent rating. Would definitely go back :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ni T
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you SO much for your kind review. It is often that people take the time to review when they have a complaint, rather than when they have a wonderful time - so I am deeply appreciative of those that take the time to leave a kind review when they have had a good time. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Malu again soon.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The staff at Malu Lodge are absolutely lovely. From the ladies who set up a fire for you in the evening, to the staff in the restaurant, they are delightful people. They also go the extra mile to make sure children have a wonderful experience. They love setting up donkey cart rides and showing the kids how to milk the resident cow.

Aside from the staff and the activities provided for the children, we were a bit disappointed, especially after reading other reviews. The food is average - nothing special. The cottages are very cute, but need to be cleaned. Our bathroom was in pretty bad shape, for example, including a very dirty toilet seat. For the price we paid, we simply expected better. For less money you can stay at the lovely Chui Lodge (AMAZING food + game drives in their conservancy) or one of the other wonderful properties at Lake Naivasha or nearby at Lake Nakuru.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bucketlisters202
Malu_Lodge_Kenya, Owner at Malu, responded to this review, 6 October 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry your room was not up to our high cleanliness standard and I am appalled by the idea of a "dirty loo seat" - I am mortified and please accept our deepest apologies - I hope that it was only dirt in terms of dust! With regards pricing I am quite concerned as we are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Chui, which is also a lovely lodge, however they are a much higher price point than Malu. Five times more expensive having just looked at a recent Trip Advisor price. Unfortunately we cannot control or dictate the cost given to you by an Agent - most Agents will charge our standard rates - but that is not to say that an unscrupulous agent can't charge whatever they like - We feel at Malu we are VERY reasonably priced, and of any complaint we may receive - value for money, as a complaint is a deeply bitter pill for us to swallow. Once again - thank you for taking the time to give us an honest opinion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nairobi
Great Rift Valley Lodge & Golf Resort
#2 of 204 in Nairobi
The Emakoko
The Emakoko
#3 of 204 in Nairobi

Been to Malu? Share your experiences!