“Very expensive hotel for the standard of accommodation”

Sentrim Nairobi Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #78 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I chose to stay at the Boulevard hotel, although it was a bit above my price range (the price quoted by my tour company was $95US & prices were similar online) as this was the adjoining point for my tour which left early the morning after i´d flown into Nairobi airport. However, when i arrived i was surprised to be told the price had gone up to $130US, which was extortionate for a hotel of this standard & my room didn´t even have aircon & i had a terrible nights sleep with the fan on! In europe i could have stayed in a 5star luxury hotel for less than this (having travelled around europe also).

I also had a problem with one of my US $ notes not being issued after 2004 & the hotel said they couldn´t accept this. Being on a budget & having limited funds, this was not a good start to my holiday.

However, when i returned from my tour i stayed at the Comfort Inn which was a 2star but more than adequate for my needs & at $55 for the night, including breakfast, was much more affordable & i would recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget. It was only a short taxi ride from the Boulevard hotel or you could walk it in about 10mins. Being a solo traveller i was a bit wary of my safety & would not have walked alone perhaps but getting a taxi was fine.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank hot1hel

Reviewed 21 March 2011

We stayed 2 dayes on this hotel, and we have never been on a hotel where so many
things not is working or is broken. The rooms are very worn and not so clean.
The restaurant and bar is very good and they made splendid food to good price.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We used this hotel as a base for our various Kenya travels and came back three times, leaving various baggage in the left luggage room. The rooms (we were given a garden room every time) were good, clean. Constant hot water in showers. Buffet breakfast was good. We had several evening meals which were okay. The gardens were pretty and well kept, the swimming pool excellent. We could walk into the centre of Nairobi easily. The hotel had security gates and felt very safe. Staff were helpful and really friendly with one exception - the nighttime receptionist who was offhand and disinterested.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Book online and pay part upfront and you will find yourself paying the full price all over again - this hotel happily shows you they have your confirmation that the room is part paid and still refuses to honour it. The hotel itself is not pleasant and is overpriced even without the double charge. The rooms are dated (c. 1974), dirty and shabby. The television had no remote and there is no sound proofing in connecting rooms, the fan is noisy and there is no aircon. I understand there are some rooms updated but mine was in a very sorry state. I have travelled widely in Africa and I don't need five star but this really was a new low for me. On the upside the car I pre-arranged was at the airport, the driver friendly and the price ok but otherwise I would say this is a big recommendation to avoid.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Horrible hotel for the price. We pre-booked with a travel agent and they wouldn't honor our voucher until that evening when we got a hold of the agent in North America (due to time change) when they said we were confused with another customer. No screens on the windows or nets over the beds so my husband woke up full of mosquito bites as we had no choice but to leave the window open because it was SOOO HOT in the room. Only a ceilig fan and all this for $254US / night. We negotiated a rate of $271 with the Notfolk Fairmont 5 Star Hotel only two blocks away WAY BETTER VALUE and hospitality. Don't stay here unless every hotel in Nairobi is booked.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanadaGirl2011
Reviewed 17 January 2011

Our first night in Nairobi and the room wasn't worth the price we paid. No air-conditioning and very simple and basic decor however when we returned to the hotel at the end of our holiday, we were pleasantly surprised to get a much better quality room at the same price so I think if you ask for the room with the hairdryer, you're onto a safe bet. Hardly any water pressure in the showers so showertime took longer than usual as you waited for water to trickle out. Hotel itself is within good walking distance of the centre however we found the Reception staff slow and not friendly and when you walked away from the dinner table without leaving a tip, you got such a look from the waiters and you're thinking well mate, if you had of said hello, good evening, how was your day and just a bit of a smile, maybe I would have tipped you so they only have themselves to blame. Wouldn't go back to this place.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Enroute Masai Mara trip, I was lodged at this hotel on the 18th Dec and also 21st Dec, 2010. I was in room 203 and on my last day, while I went for breakfast, the person who was supposed to clean my room actually STOLE my Canon Powershot SX20 IS digital camera. All effort to get the management to even use their claimed CCTV to track down whoever did that was rebuffed. I later found out that the hotel management is happy to harbour thieves. Whoever finds himself or herself in Nairobi should run away from this hotel or ensure that you practically move about with ALL your load throughout your stay. A word is enough for the wise!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo