“A soft start in Nairobi!”
Review of Sankara Nairobi

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #9 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Luxembourg
“A soft start in Nairobi!”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Nairobi is a hell of a place (it used to be nice but now the place is overcrowded, very polluted and traffic-jams come close to those of India). As we have decided to start gently our safari trip in Kenya, we have chosen to spend 2 nights here before heading to Naivasha and Masai Mara. We have not regreted this choice as this hotel has revealed a very good "landing point". The room, food and service were all quite good. The friendly concierge has also helped us to book a taxi for a day drive to see some interesting places in Nairobi (elephant orphanage, giraffe center and a few shops here and there)!
Most definitely a good stay for us!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jboule

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Singapore, Singapore

+ Efficient airport transfer
+ Good security
+ Rooms are modern, clean and well lit.
+ Great location. There is a small mall (Sarit Center if I am not mistaken) located right next door. However, the Westgate Mall is a much better bet. It has a Kazuri Beads Shop and a fairly large, modern cafe which serves decent food. To get to Westgate, the hotel arranged for taxi pick up and drop off. The taxi fare can be charged directly to the room which makes it very convenient and easy. It costs us less than USD5 taxi fare return for a ride that is about 7 mins one way. Down the road is also the nightlife area with some good bars.
+ The Asian restaurant, Muhibbah serves decent South-east Asian cuisines. The roof-top bar is also a good place to have an early evening drink.
+ Angsana Spa standard is comparable to the ones in South-east Asia. The Thai therapists are highly skilled. Highly recommend their massage services.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
mahlerific
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Located in the bustling Westlands district of Nairobi, the Sankara is close to several malls, restaurants, and local businesses. Given Nairobi's awful, awful traffic, this location is a godsend to travelers unacquainted with the city. The hotel is an oasis of calm with understated, elegant interiors, wonderful restaurants, and comfortable rooms. The Thai restaurant is absolutely fantastic--and the food authentic. You can't beat the rooftop bar/lounge. The staff were extremely accommodating, even with more difficult requests. I was very impressed.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Arusha
Reviewed 11 October 2011

So I was at the beautiful hotel recently and I must say the service is remarkable, especially at their boutique. The ladies are efficient, kind, they work with dilligence and their welcoming smiles will always make one want to visit the boutique. They are not clueless on what they are selling, as in every item has its own story which I found to be very outstanding, that aside, the service is excellent, world-class. One upside though was the constant lack of top up cards. The ladies were kind enough to actually go out of their way n got someone to fetch some from outside. That I would rank as WORLD CLASS service but the management should ensure the boutique is always fully stocked with the basics like airtime n spare the ladies the embarassment.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Telford, Shropshire
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Rooms: 156 in total: 62 Superior, 51 Deluxe, 7 Junior Suites, 2 Executive Suites, 33 Club Rooms. I had the opportunity to see both a superior and a deluxe room at the Sankara, unfortunately the suites were all occupied so I didn’t get the chance to physically see them. All the rooms are very tastefully decorated in a cozy but contemporary style. The furnishings have a very nice finish to them and the cleanliness was excellent. An outstanding feature of the rooms here is the glass partition between the en-suite and the bedroom. It allows guests to be able to catch up on the news as the TV is in full view and within the bathroom are speakers which are a nice touch. Quite spacious, the rooms have large beds, bedside tables, lounge chair, desk and TV. Through the main doors is the wardrobe area with free safe/shoe shine etc, there is also a stocked mini bar and tea and coffee – my only complaint would be that there wasn’t enough tea and coffee and we had to ask a couple of times for extra/refills. The bathrooms are very tastefully decorated with basin, bath, WC and large walk-in shower. Another nice touch is that the range of complementary toiletries is of a very high standard which, for me, was most appreciated – however, these were not replaced daily. The deluxe rooms were of a similar standard, slightly larger but mostly the same apart from a different layout for the bathroom.

The club rooms, I am informed, are basically the same as the deluxe but guests pay an extra premium to use the club lounge. We had a tour of the lounge which again is tastefully decorated and guests staying here have access to a meeting room for two hours which have all the equipment expected in a boardroom. Also available for guests is the use of the lounge for early arrival and late checkout, hot drinks all day (and non-alcoholic drinks for the day), breakfast and evening snacks and drinks (happy hour).

Most of the rooms have panoramic windows but I’m afraid the view leaves a lot to be desired – I was informed, though, that this is going to change as there is a lot of building and refurbishment work taking place around the area.

Facilities/meeting rooms: the Sankara has a vast amount of meeting rooms which cater to different needs depending upon the event. The prices were extremely competitive and guests have the additional help of a member of staff present for the full event.

Gym: state of the art equipment, clean and contemporary. There is also a rooftop heated pool with a relaxing bar/lounge area.

Restaurants: Artisan is food from around the world, Muhibbah is food from South East Asia, Sarabi serves snacks and tapas style food located on the rooftop by the pool. During our stay, we dined in Artisan. On arrival we were informed that as it was Friday (and again on Saturday) there was a buffet that evening. This didn’t bother me too much until I saw other guests looking at an a la carte menu. We were never informed that there was a separate menu which is really not acceptable. However, I have to say the food was excellent. I had reservations as my past experience has proved that buffet food can often be bland and barely hot. The Sankara food is some of the best food I have ever tasted and the variety has not been matched on any of my travels. Our second night in the restaurant, we again were not offered the a la carte menu. I asked to see one and can only say that I wasn't really impressed with the offerings but the prices seemed to be quite comparable. The one thing I will say however is that the desserts were wonderful - leave some room........!

Spa: the hotel has a franchise with Angsana Spa which is a well-known International company. They offer a vast array of holistic therapies and I booked a “dreams” massage. My experience at the spa was extremely relaxing, professional and friendly. I was treated very well by my therapist who asked pertinent questions, kept me relaxed and comfortable throughout and finished with ginger tea and fresh fruit. It’s the most expensive massage I’ve taken in Kenya but it was worth every penny. Do treat yourself to a spa therapy whilst there, it’s most definitely worth it.

Overall: this is no doubt a five star establishment; the prices, staff, furnishings and food all prove it. However, in my opinion, it’s definitely geared toward the business traveller and although it’s always nice to have a touch of luxury to finish your holiday (particularly a gruelling journey following a long safari); its price range is probably out of reach for most travellers. At around $500 per night, I believe it’s far too expensive to expect a holiday maker to stay at this hotel which is a real shame.

Perhaps a cheaper deal for travellers only needing a one night stay might encourage people to use it more often? Otherwise it’s a big cost to pay out of a holiday budget.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MinMcLeod
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Long stay between 19th August - 1st September 2011 (13 nights) , whilst on business.

Nice touch of opulence & decadence throughout but the hotel failed miserably in all round guest service and comfort.

Room service breakfast was late over 30 minutes for 2 days in a row - consequently I was late for client meetings.

More 10-12 sporadic power failure/trips on one Sunday alone. Hotel-chartered taxi late by over 40 minutes, 3 days in a row.

Internet was down for an entire evening without advance notice from hotel management.

The entire 4th floor air conditioning system broke down for over 3.5 hours.

Hotel Gym shuts at 10 pm sharp, I would have preferred extended opening hours or better yet, 24 hours.

The hotel tells to skimp on room amenities e.g. coffee, sugar, tea refills, soap, toiletries. Had to phone housekeeping up on several occasions to get them topped up.

Escalated all of the issues above, twice, to duty manager, who pretended to be thoroughly interested in addressing, but ultimately turned a deaf ear. Nobody bothered to follow up during my stay.

In my experience, Sankara is an overrated , deplorable hotel. Definitely not worth the money paid.

Reviews here look to be skewed, biased and untrustworthy .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank D K
San Francisco
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I stayed at the Tribe Hotel during a conference and joined my friends for dinner on a Zairean night. The service and food was excellent in contrast to Tribe Hotel and restaurant. The Sankara Hotel has a choice of restaurants which area all excellent. We went to the Artisan Restaurant. I had the Lamb shank with couscous and it was heavenly. Our waiter expertly assisted my blind friend and found a proper chair for my friend using a walker. Superior service from the receptionist, to the server, to the chef.

• Stayed September 2011