“Very sophisticated..chic..modern hotel”

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #11 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
“Very sophisticated..chic..modern hotel”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I have not stayed at the hotel (so ignore my room rating) but I had a chance to have some drinks and snacks at the Sarabi pool bar with a friend earlier this evening.
The menu offerings are well thought out with sufficient variety to unwind. The service was fast but we found the waiters quite unfriendly and disengaged from the whole process of service..No smiles, no drink or snack recommendations. I hope that they can consider adding some personality to the pool waitering service and engage a little bit more with clients.
However, on our way out of the pool bar, there was this happy gentleman who really took his time to tell us more about the hotel including taking us round the various restaurants in the hotel. Now that was the highlight of the evening..great service.
Overall, it is a beautiful hotel with great ambience, very nice African art and fantastic interiors. Big up to the interior designer.. really cool. I hope to try out,the various resturants very soon.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank mrfiugs
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Mrfiugs,

Thank you for your review dated February 10th, 2012.

The Team at Sankara appreciate your constructive feedback in order for us to further improve on the services that we offer and deliver.

Thank you for your lovely compliments about our menu offerings, ambiance and service. We have tried as much as possible to combine five-star international standards with personal service and authentic flavour of the new Africa.

We are sorry to hear that our services did not meet your expectations at Sarabi Pool bar. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the shortfalls in the service experienced. The matter is being addressed by our Food & Beverage department to implement corrective measures to improve the service delivery.

We have noted that you have never stayed at Sankara Nairobi, we do hope that you will afford us an early opportunity to host you at Sankara Nairobi soon whether it either be for accommodation or dining.

The Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I love staying at the Sankara! I stayed there for two weeks in October and another two weeks in December while on business travel. The hotel is modern and not too large. Rooms are well appointed with many extras. The staff members are incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgeable and will do their best to help you with anything you need. Food is fabulous, from the breakfast buffet and room service from Artisan to the asian flavors of Muhibbah. If you stay at the Sankara, be sure to also checkout the rooftop bar and restaurant one evening so you can enjoy Nairobi's evening weather while you dine/meet with friends. And, if you need to take your coffee from breakfast to go, pick up a cup at the coffee shop or ask your server. The staff really is wonderful and they contribute to making the hotel a great place to come home to after a long day at work.

Other notes:
- The spa provides good service and gives a discount Monday-Thursday before 5pm.
- Sankara offers free wireless in the rooms and free access to computers at the business center which is better than many hotels.
- The Sankara is conveniently located across the street from Sarit Center, a large mall with ATMs, a grocery store, other restaurants, movie theater, shops, etc.

Room Tip: I personally like the superior rooms that have a glass wall between the bedroom and the bathroom- to...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Ishamblin,

Thank you for your review dated February 10th, 2012 and taking the time to write this positive review and lovely comments.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver a 5 star personalised service and comfort to meet and exceed your expectations.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our ambiance, design, Angsana Spa and last but not least about our five star culinary hot spots; Artisan, Muhibbah and Gallery.

Chevy Chase, Maryland
Reviewed 1 February 2012

In Nairobi, I've stayed at the Sankara, the Ole Sereni, the Intercontinental, and the Tribe. Leaving travel times (i.e., traffic to other parts of the city) out of the equation, I'll book return visits at the Sankara. (Tribe is a close second, Ole Sereni only for trips centered around the airport, and probably never again at the Intercontinental.) The room was well-appointed, the bed was comfy, room service was good, check-in was fast and correct, and the gym was nice. A few power outages, but that's fairly standard around the city.

Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear Gopheliad,

Thank you for your review dated February 1st, 2012 and taking the time to write this positive review and lovely comments.

Pune, India
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This is one of the newest hotels in town. Its an extremely trendy hotel, quite unlike the other hotels you might find in Nairobi. Centrally located, right next to the Sarit Center. A walk down the road and you hit a few pubs.

They have a lovely rooftop pool and an adjoining cafeteria/bar where we had most of our business meetings. The rooms are excellent and modern. The staff was extremely friendly.

I stayed here for 5 nights and it was totally worth it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, 30 January 2012
Dear Vikramogale14,

Thank you for your review dated January 27th, 2012 and taking the time to write this positive review.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver a 5 star personalised service and comfort to meet your expectations. The Team at Sankara appreciate your feedback in order for us to improve on the services that we offer.

nairobi
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have not stayed at the hotel but I have dined at The Artisan, had drinks at The Gallery, and at Sarabi pool bar.
The ambience ofthe hotel is nothing but top class and commendable.
The service however is quite wanting, with what appears to be lethargic staff during certain times of the day and possibly from their attitude, whom they serve.

Yes, it is human nature to warm up to people you are more familiar to, in this case visiting regulars, but this is the service industry! First impression is what you need to hit at hardest!

The food was beautifully presented even in buffet form with a wide variety of salads, vegetarian and non vegetarian selections.

I like that during the meal our hostess came to check on us, just took a while to get our drinks order.

I this the hotel has really been hyped and they need to work around that, with the awards the boast, they should not go down.

I would recommend it to a friend,as I believe it has more to offer.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank wanderlustciru
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear Sheerowbabe,

Thank you for your review dated January 5th, 2012.

Sankara Team wishes you a prosperous New Year and all the best in 2012.

Thank you for your kind compliments about our Culinary delivery of food, ambience and design. We have tried as much as possible to combine five-star international standards with personal service and authentic flavour of the new Africa!!

We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with our service at our restaurants. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the shortfalls in the service experienced. The matter is being addressed by our Food & Beverage department to implement corrective measures to improve on our service delivery.

Please be assured that we are committed and always striving to meet high international standards as recognised by the awards received in 2011 for Conde Nast Traveller Hot List 2011,the Wine Spectator Award for Excellence for The Gallery’s renowned wine collection, a first within the region and the recently awarded Best Hotel Construction and Design at the International Property Awards.

We have noted that you have never stayed at Sankara Nairobi, we do hope that you will afford us an early opportunity to restore your faith in the Sankara Nairobi soon whether it either be for accommodation or dining.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed at the Sankara during a recent business trip and was overwhelmed by the level of service. Whether it was Nelson who greeted me by name each day in one of the restaurants or Iveen and Charles on the concierge desk who solved my transport needs in a flash, this hotel is a great, well located sanctuary.

Don't miss the pool bar at sundown. A cold Tusker as the sun goes down is a must. After that, the hotel restaurants offer up delicious food and innovative menus. I can't wait to get back there soon.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MeandYu
Dear MeandYu,

Thank you for your review dated January 5th, 2012.

First and foremost, Sankara Team wishes you a prosperous New Year and all the best in 2012.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and delighted that we were able to deliver the personalised service and comfort to meet your expectations. The Team at Sankara appreciate your positive feedback in order for us to further improve on the services that we offer.

Nelson,Iveen and Charles, our Sankara Stars, at our restaurant and concierge desk; will be delighted and proud with the comments you have shared on their service delivery and we will ensure that they get the deserved recognition.

Sankara's Sarabi Pool & Supper Club is the premium place to meet,eat and enjoy cocktails or an evening Sundowner drink. Thank you for the lovely compliments stated on your review about our delicious food and five star culinary hot spots; Artisan, Muhibbah and Gallery.

Washington DC
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed for two weeks at the Sankara during a work trip in December 2011. Very nice, W-inspired hotel, with wireless (spotty at times, but free) service across the property. For business travelers like me who have daily business in town, the hotel is inconvenient due to heavy traffic going from Westlands to town. Also, for longer stays, there is a very little outdoor space, with the exception of the rooftop bar, but that is usually packed with local youngsters smoking hookah.

If, however, you will stick around Westlands (a very nice area), and are just looking to relax at a luxury hotel for a short stay, this would be a good choice. I am going back to Nairobi in January, but will not return to the hotel, due mostly to the traffic of going to town from the hotel (about 45 minutes to 1 hour each way). Also, this time they said they can't match my corporate rate, fair enough.

Details:

Service: Very nice at most times, very courteous but spotty. For example, the pool is supposed to be open at 6:00 or 7 00 AM. Numerous times when I went up for a quick swim before my work meetings around 7 00 AM I saw that it was still dirty from the night before (cigarette buds...etc), which I don't mind, but I saw several other guests turning around. One morning I swam with rose pedals from a wedding which had taken place the night before. That was actually a nice experience, but for those that actually want to swim in a clean pool, you'd need to wait a bit longer. Another service experience was regarding the noise level in my room. I was initially given a room immediately below the roofdeck bar. Due to low insulation, most of the noise from the bar trickles down to the room, which woke me up a number of times. I complained 4 or 5 nights about this and nothing happened. The final time I requested to speak to a manager, and then everything improved; she was amazing, and offered me a complementary upgrade to a suite (very nice). But it doesn't change the fact that the service remains average until after you insist on elevating things to management level.

Rooftop pool bar: Very nice in the late afternoon, but is usually packed with local youngsters smoking hookah (not a problem in and out of itself), but makes it a bit inappropriate to hold work gatherings. Otherwise they have very nice cocktails and it is an absolute pleasure to hang out in.

Restaurants: The hotel offers various restaurants and I've tried them all. At best they are mediocre.

Location: Good for hanging out, shopping etc. But not if you have business in town. Westlands to town traffic is usually heavily congested. Also, the westlands roundabout which is right near the hotel is known to a be highly dangerous area (I actually had my iphone stolen from the back of a taxi in the roundabout there). If you will stay at this hotel and will be using a taxi/car to get through the roundabout, make absolutely sure to lock the doors and keep the windows closed.

Rooms: Very nice finishing that is better than African levels. Occasionally there is plumbing problems, but that is to be expected in any hotel in Nairobi.

Tips: The hotel's gift shop has good items (I shopped there myself), and the banana box that is in the Sarit center right near the hotel is also good for souvenirs. There is also a very good Javahouse at the Sarit center. Westgate shopping mall near the hotel also has a good cafe (Art Caffe).

Room Tip: 6th floor is the club level, but the rooftop bar is right on top of this level (on the 7th floor). D...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank OnurWashingtonDC
Sankara N, Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear OnurWashingtonDC,

Thank you for your review dated 1st January 2012.

We are always pleased to hear from our guests and the Team at Sankara appreciate your constructive feedback in order for us to further improve on the services that we offer.

Please accept our apologies with regard to the standard of our pool. The matter is being addressed with our Housekeeping team and our pool attendant so that corrective standards and procedures are followed to prevent a similar occurrence.

We regret to note that the room you stayed in did not meet your expectations due to the noise from Sarabi Pool and Supper Club and plumbing issues. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the difficulties experienced during your stay and regret that a manager had to be called to finally solve the matter.

Sankara's Sarabi Pool & Supper Club is the premium place to meet,eat and enjoy cocktails. As the night falls Sarabi Supper Club creates an ambiance of chic relaxation. Thank you for the lovely compliments stated on your review about our cocktails and boutique.

With regard to our restaurants, we are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Time permitting, we would appreciate if you could let us know what was missing in your experience and what we could have done to exceed the expectations in the restaurants.

Whilst we appreciate that the traffic has proved to be a factor to deter you from staying with us on your next stay, we do hope that you will afford us an early opportunity to restore your faith in the Sankara soon.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Sankara Nairobi, traffic permitting.