“See Nairobi's IT set”
Review of Sankara Nairobi

Sankara Nairobi
Ranked #5 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Great hotel, nice rooms, and a very swanky hotel. However it comes into it's own on a Saturday night, when the Nairobi Set come out to play. Over dress for this, as you will still feel under-dressed when you arrive. The best location of this hotel is the roof, at night, sun downers over the city with friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Sankara N, General Manager at Sankara Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear LondonNisha,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of Sarabi Supper Club on our 7th Floor with the swankiest Champagne Bar in town. We do look forward to welcoming you back soon and recommend you try one of our signature cocktails, The Sarabi Smoking Punch, whilst enjoying views of the Nairobi skyline.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I used to stay at other Nairobi hotels, but decided to try out the Sankara this time and loved the experience must say!
The rooms are nicely decorated and very suited for especially business travellers (I stayed on the Club Lounge Floors so I don't know if it's the same for all rooms, but you have an ironing board&iron for example which is great).
Due to business dinners/lunches outside the hotel I unfortunately never had the chance to taste the hotel's dishes, but I did like the breakfast (either at the Club Lounge on the 7th floor or in the main restaurant) and the afternoon tea and happy hour snacks.
The gym is well equiped and what I particularly liked -travelling a lot for work so I would dare to say I can compare to similar hotels- is that the gym staff is really there to help you...they were almost like personal trainers, without being too pushy!
Only downside was that the sauna wasn't working but the gym staff went out of their way to accomodate me and offered me I could use the gents' one as there was nobody using it at that time anyway.
I had two minor issues during my stay and both were dealt with professionally, immediately, and satisfactory.

Room Tip: The Club Lounge floor rooms are situated higher up and allow you to use the Club Lounge

Dear FlyingGonzo_10,

Thank you for your amazing review; we are delighted to hear you had a memorable stay during your most recent visit to Nairobi.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon to experience our personalized services and for another energetic personal workout from our gym instructors.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for business, well still here. The hotel is okay, breakfast is great - nice selection. The pool bar is nice however you cant really swim in the pool as its by the restaurant and bar and closes at 6pm.
I was out from 6am and got back just before 1pm and my room had not been made up yet. I checked to see if the do no disturb sign was on and it was not so I am unsure what the hold up is.
The animal they give you at turn down is nice, chocolate would also be great :-).
Everything else is fine, no real complaints.

Dear L0nd0nGenie,

Thank you for your review on our property; and please accept our apologies for the lapse in standard from our housekeeping services which has been shared with our housekeeping team for further improvement.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the figurines for turn down service; and we do look forward to welcoming you back in your next visit to Nairobi to add to your collection of the Sankara Seven.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I was recently in Nairobi on business in May 2014 and stayed at the Sankara upon the advice of a colleague. I can only say positive things about my experience. The hotel staff were friendly and highly professional. My room was tastefully decorated and very comfortable. A very cute touch was the little big 5 animal stone figurines that they leave on your night table (way better than a chocolate). I dined at the rooftop pool restaurant for dinner and lunch. The menu was simple and offered a wide selection of beverages. The hotel was very accommodating with changes made by my fellow business travelers. They were also great in helping us arrange local car transportation. I truly enjoyed my stay and look forward to coming back one day again.

Dear undutchable2010,

Thank you for your wonderful review and your kind words about the hotels staff, facilities and services.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the turn down Sankara Seven figurines and do look forward to welcoming you back to extend your collection of the figurines to complete the 28 different styles available of the Sankara Seven.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Extremely friendly staff, comfortable beds, that will always be my home when visiting Nairobi . The hotel is not in the best parts of the city but a very big up to the fact that when you get inside the hotel , you totally forget and think you are in some upmarket suburb. The Seven Sankara collection....., it's brilliant keeps one wandering what's next.

Keep it up

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Rehoboth657

Dear Rehoboth657,

Thank you for your review on our property during your most recent visit to Nairobi. We are delighted that you enjoyed the figurines for turn down service and look forward to welcoming you back to continue adding to your collection from the 28 different styles of the Sankara Seven figurines.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My third stay at the Sankara, and it has maintained its high standards. Excellent service, attentive, intelligent and friendly, from all hotel staff. Upmarket taxis on standby throughout the day. Well equipped modern rooms. Decent restaurant and bar, with good food, small terrace area at the restaurant and rooftop at the bar, with nice views. Pool and gym are not huge but both are pleasant. Its unashamedly a business hotel - unlike some other Nairobi hotels, it has no extensive grounds or public spaces, its in a busy and unattractive area in Westlands near the CBD, it has no grand history. But in a city with lots of accommodation choices and generally good service, Sankara stands out.

Dear jonB_SA,

Thank you for your amazing review of our property; and for choosing the Sankara to be your home away from home. We do look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our Kenyan hospitality and unwind at our roof top bar while enjoying the Nairobi skyline.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stay at the Sankara Nairobi on a regular basis for Business and there's a lot of good to be said abou the hotel, location and staff. The resturants, food and service is generally good but at times can be slow in coming.

The rooftop bar is a lively place most nights and agains suffers from slow service when there is anything bigger that an small crowd.

My observation and reason for writing this review relates to Guest Services, in particular transportation services provided by the hotel. Now for those who know Nairobi it can be a congented and dangerous place to visit and having access to comfortable and safe transportation to navigate the City is a must.

After arriving in Nairobi recently I was greeted by deshevelled driver who was driving an equally described vehicle despite confirmation that an Executive transfer would be provided. The 2 hour trip to the hotel was not made any better byt he driver's body odour and the lack of air conditioning.

I made the duty manager aware of this and a subsequent meeting requested by the hotel manager reaffirmed my distain for the service provided. The manager (Gideon) assured me that my faith would be restored on the reutrn journey when I left the hotel in a week's time.

During the week on an evening visit to a client another of the hotel provided vehicles broke down and this took some time to replace.

At check out I was advise that the previously promised Executive vehicle was not available and that another delapidated 10 year old, smelly Toyota would be my transfer back to the airport.

I have advised the hotel of my concern for their lack of attention to detail and that the Kempinski Nairobi will now be the receipt of my business and the 500 room nights that my business uses in the city each year.

Room Tip: Ask for a low number room (under 15) at the back of the hotel.