“Friendliness!”
other travellers have booked this property
Kiloranhouse Driveway View Cottage Master/Jaccuzzi Bedroom
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Kiloranhouse Driveway View
Cottage Master/Jaccuzzi Bedroom
Cottage Private Garden
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Ulverstone, Australia
“Do not recommend”
Reviewed 18 May 2012 for a stay in February 2012
people found this review helpful

After reading other reviews I thought that this place would be great to stay in. When we arrived everything seemed great. Our room was lovely and all looked good. We were told by the owner that someone else was staying in the upstairs room of the house we were in...which was fine. We stayed for most of the day doing some work then decided to leave and go for a walk. Imagine our shock coming back to the room and finding all our laptops, camera equipment and other items stolen and the guest upstairs gone!!! We went to the police and made a statement but unfortunately all our items are well and truly gone. The reason I am writing this is that I found the security very bad in this place for Nairobi. I used to live in Kenya and usually number plates are taken down on cars that stay at a property (this was not done), doors are well and truly locked (the lock on our door was obviously broken into very easily) and they had no details hardly on the guest that took our items. We are assuming that this could have been an inside job and unfortunately the owner refused to refund any of our items - in fact he still to this day will not take responsibility. I would not stay here again and would be concerned for others that stay here as your security is definitely not taken seriously.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
18 May 2012
Kiloranhouse is one of the most enjoyable homes and has always been a wonderful and safe vacation destination. It is located in a World Bank approved safe area in a leafy Nairobi suburb and is surrounded by several foreign diplomatic missions. In our 20 years stay here and in all the years of our providing quality bed and breakfast service, this was the first (as our other reviews show), and hopefully the last time we will have to encounter such a situation. It is sincerely regrettable that the Rowlands lost their property whilst staying with us. Having said that, we would like to point out that some of the statements they made are factually incorrect. Specifically:

1. Reservation details:

We reserved a room for the Rowlands for Friday, the 3rd of February, 2012. A day before their arrival, someone who introduced himself as an associate who worked for them in Kenya requested for directions to our place to come and inspect the room reserved for them, for suitability. He was shown the room as well as other rooms on the premises.
On the morning of the Rowlands arrival, a “tour agent” called enquiring about this specific room, and we advised him that it was not available. An hour later, two persons claiming to be the “booking agent” and the “client” came over. Most people find it difficult to locate us but these two seemed to have found us easily without any assistance on directions from us. They wanted to know what other rooms were available in the cottage, and these they were shown. The male “client” chose the room directly above the Rowlands and later in the day, checked in. He used our standard check in procedure of recording the name, nationality, address, phone number, identity documents and signing the register. We have these details for this client here and they are also with the police.

Later that evening the Rowlands checked in. The following day they were joined by their Kenya associate and stayed most of the day
working in the kitchen on a table close to and with direct view of the staircase leading to the “client’s” room, from where they could make visual and/or voice contact with the guest upstairs (“client”). They worked there until about 4 pm when they all went out for a walk. Shortly thereafter the other guest (“client”) left, presumably with the equipment.

Police Investigations are still ongoing to establish whether the Thursday room inspection and the Friday booking by the “client” are a coincidence or a setup.

2. Personal Property liability:

All the guests are informed in writing prior to arrival that they are accommodated in private bedrooms that share the common facilities such as living room, kitchen etc, with other guests, some of whom may be complete strangers to them. They are therefore expected to keep their rooms securely locked to safeguard their valuables

After reporting the loss, the police came and examined the two guests’ rooms. They established, and have since reconfirmed, that the Rowlands’ room was not broken into, indicating that it had not been securely locked. It is for this reason that I declined to accept liability.

3.Refusal To Refund Any Of The Items.

I hoped the police would quickly recover the lost items, but this was not immediately forthcoming. After a week of no positive news, I asked the Rowlands’ Kenya associate to inform them (they were still in Kenya) that I wished to discuss with them the police investigation progress and the way forward. He told me that they had authorized him to have the discussion with me, which we, subsequently had. He informed me that in order to facilitate their work in Kenya, they had purchased a computer to replace the one that had not been insured.
As a sign of solidarity and good will to our guests, and as part of shared loss but not as an acceptance of liability, I informed him that I would be willing to refund the cost of the computer they had purchased. However, to do this I needed a copy of that computer purchase receipt and the Rowlands’ bank account to which I would deposit the money. The associate however wanted the money paid directly to himself which I was unwilling to do.

SECURITY MEASURES

In the past we had a night guard at our only entry gate. During the day the gate was locked and entry/exit was effected by one of the day workers at the request of the guests. This has worked well in the past as the reviews testify. However to safeguard against future recurrence of such incident:

a) We no longer accept inspection of the reserved rooms, unless the guests request for it in writing.

b) SECURITY has been enhanced by,
i) Providing 24 hour guard service.
ii) Carrying out mandatory inspection at the gate upon entry and exit. Visitors are required to provide:
1) Driver and vehicle registration details
2) Display & record a government issued ID
3) Discretionary inspection of vehicles upon entry and exit.

While some guests resent this as an intrusion, we hope application of these measures will enhance our home as a safe enjoyable vacation destination with a truly non hotel atmosphere.
Arizona
Reviewed 28 February 2012 for a stay in September 2011

Older travelers
Ghent
Reviewed 29 January 2012 for a stay in July 2011
person found this review helpful

hiroshima...
London, United Kingdom
“The best place to stay in Nairobi”
Reviewed 23 October 2011 for a stay in January 2011
people found this review helpful

Kiloranhouse cottage is a beautiful,quite place away from the city center of Nairobi which is great. Secure during the night with the security guard and dogs. It feels like at home as the house is very cozy ,with wooden floors,lovely kitchen with some breakfast in the fridge and fruits on the table and an a amazing garden :)The rooms are very clean with nice bathroom.
Adriel welcome us very warmly and was very helpful when we wanted to buy tickets to go to Dar Es Saalam even using his own phone :) whenever we need it anything he was always there to help .Also Peter who pick us up from the airport and took us to many places like Carnivore Restaurant and food shopping etc.He was always waiting for us and we could relay on him at any time.We have spent 2 nights on the 6/7 January 2011 at the beginning of our holiday and then extra night which we have extended once we stayed in the cottage on the 19th January before leaving Kenya.We are going back to Nairobi in January 2012 and will stay at the cottage again for few nights before heading to climb Kilimanjaro.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Nice and cozy feeling which reminds me of my own home :)
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Tumpat
Kampala, Uganda
“Enchantingl!”
Reviewed 5 July 2011 for a stay in June 2011
people found this review helpful

Kiloran cottage is a beautiful place to get away from the madness of Nairobi. It is homely, cozy, peaceful and enchanting! The quiet and cool environment makes it possible to relax.
I felt like I was still in my home, because that's the feeling you get; the place is clean, your every need is taken into consideration even before you check in and one gets value for their money and much more. Would recommend it many times over.
Thank you Adriel, for making my stay in Nairobi comfortable and safe!
Patience

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 25-34
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway Families with young children
Antsinthe...
USA
“Charming alternative to hotel in Nairobi”
Reviewed 28 June 2011 for a stay in May 2011

My husband and I were searching for a home stay in Nairobi for a few days. We were attracted to Kiloran house and cottage because of their location and garden setting and elected to stay at the cottage since there were just two of us. Although larger than necessary for one couple, we appreciated the cottage's roominess, the comfortable queen size bed, and the private baths. The gardens are truly magnificent, and Adriel, our host, was happy to give us a tour of the historic main house and surrounding gardens. Adriel was also most accommodating in arranging transportation and in stocking the refrigerator with Tusker beer for our arrival. On one occasion he and his wife even rescued us as we stumbled along a nearby road in the wrong direction. We appreciated being so close to the Yaya Market where one can find just about anything. Our only disappointments were the low water pressure and lukewarm bath water (which may or not be under his control) and the minimalist breakfast. Bread, jam/butter, cereal, milk, coffe/tea, and fruit are supplied, but guests have to prepare their own breakfast in the cottage kitchen. We had some difficulty initially at the arrival and occasionally thereafter in rousing the guard at the gate, but we appreciated the excellent security. We felt perfectly safe in this little oasis in the heart of busy Nairobi. We highly recommend this place and would definitely stay there again.

Your age range 65+
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists Large groups
Rugged travelers
Italy
Reviewed 26 June 2011 for a stay in June 2011

Travelling group: Solo traveler
Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing