“Not worth it!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cafe Maghreb
Ranked #198 of 538 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth it!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

I had Christmas Eve dinner with my husband last night and I was very disappointed. The wine list to start was wrong as it had Calatteri wine stated as origin S.A while it actually is from Chile. The bread was stale. I asked for fresh bread and I was presented with the same bread basket. My starter of prawn was bland. My main course of grilled Angus beef - had two pieces one piece was edible the next was horrid and tasted off. I complained and all I got from Jonathan M was an apology and an admission that they tasted the piece of meat and while they claim it was not gone off the marination was not right.

It was not the experience we were expecting for ksh12,000. I'm not rushing back and I'd not recommend it either.

• Visited December 2013

Luberon, France
“Very agreeable set up, average food, service to be improved”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I will certainly in not share many of the enthusiastic opinions hereunder.

First the set up next to the Serena hotel swimming pool is very agreeable but absolutely, strictly nothing to do with the picture shown by trip advisor (even the name of the restaurant on the picture is different!)

At all meals you have both buffets and à la carte possibilities. The choice at the buffets are large but I would say that the food is no better than average, the best of the 3 meals certainly being breakfasts. It's a bit better à la carte but nothing to talk home about.

There is certainly enough staff but on the contrary of the hotel or the luxury restaurant upstairs, the staff is very little attentive to the clients which is a shame specially considering that the place is not cheap.

Wines on the wine list are badly chosen, badly presented with even a certain number of mistakes all of which are not acceptable in the best hotel in town.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Luberon1
Norman, OKlahoma, USA
“Best Restaurant in Nairobi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We ate every meal at the Cafe Maghreb while we were in Nairobi, and were never disappointed, either by the quality and taste of the food offered, or by the service --- both of which were absolutely outstanding. We were so impressed by the food on the buffet, for example, that we spoke to Lawrence, the Restaurant's Manager, and told him how much we were enjoying eating there. He brought the Executive Chef, Roy Kinyua, to our table, so that we could tell him this in person! We have eaten in many fine restaurants around the world, but none has made such a deep and lasting impression on us as the Cafe Maghreb, with its stellar service, magnificent buffet presentation, and truly outstanding menu. Don't miss it next time you're in Nairobi! It's in the Nairobi Serena Hotel, right in the heart of town.

Visited September 2013
Qatar
“Nice food but what's wrong with this picture?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

The Cafe Maghreb that I know is in Serena Hotel, Nairobi and doesn't look at all like the picture here (which is of Nairobi Java House). Dear Trip Advisor Admin, please remove this image of Java house to avoid ambiguity. Coming back to my review, its a very nice place but very expensive by all means and standards, hence 3 stars only.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Shahzad K
Boston
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

We had excellent breakfast everyday and had dinner on several nights. the seafood special"Mombasa night' was great. The swahili night or the grilled meat extravaganza one night was superb.
Enjoyed the very friendly staff and service.
I preferred this place than the formal Mandhari upstairs.

• Visited February 2012