“Dissapointing Steaks”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Finding a good steak house in Nairobi is a challenge today and a friend recommended this place but..... sorry I won't recommend having steak there.....

To being with, the kids menu came with pictures to colour. We asked for the colour pencils but never got them....... not even a pen...... luckily managed to pacify the kids with our own pens.

The mixed seafood salad starter was very average at best and the fish cubes in it were a little smelly....

Now the to the worst part ...... the steaks......

First the red wine we ordered was well above room temperature and we had to send it to the fridge for 15 mins....... 2nd They artificially tenderize their steaks which means yes you get tender steak but the good natural, Kenyan beef flavor is totally lost and you can taste the tenderizer in the meat. 3rd ...... They can't cook it the way you want......! My son ordered his steak medium and got it totally rare and had to send it back for more cooking. He had asked for garlic sauce which eventually came but only after asking for it 3 times........ . My rib-eye steak was ordered medium-rare and came totally raw - blue steak style. It went back for more cooking but still came back seared at the surface but totally raw inside..... gave up on sending it back again and wasted half of it. One of our guests ordered her steak medium-to-well-done and got it medium rare ........ she politely opted to live with the bloody steak juices after seeing all our issues.......

We asked for the dessert menus but the waitress very politely "offerred" us to help ourselves from the dessert buffet which we thought was very nice of them ........ assuming it would be complimentary....... but no way.... we were charged a hefty $17 each for the "dessert trolley".......!! Decided not to bother to complain any more as we had pretty much had enough and were being treated by a relative and did not want to spoil the evening. Anyway, we were quickly chased out by an onslaught of mosquitoes that suddenly preyed upon us from nowhere....... this has happened to us here before even though we sit inside........

The only good part of the meal were the special sauces they prepared for our steaks - garlic, bearnaise and pepper sauces were all excellent.

Very dissapointing food and even the service was just average at best this night. And ..... it was very expensive as it is a 5 star hotel restaurant with very expensive food and alcohol prices........ Lucky for them I wasn't paying the bill or they would have got an ear-full.....!!!

Their other food has been very good in the past - their biryani and fish dishes are excellent but if you are a steak enthusiast, be warned......

Reviewed 23 March 2014

On Sundays there is no buffet but à la carte. At 3000 KES per person it was not cheap, including soup and salad buffet (excellent), desert buffet (appealing to the eye, but nothing special when it comes to the taste, includes also fruits, but there was no ice cream, though they had it before), coffee or tea and one of the three dishes (fish, chicken and pasta - we tried fish and pasta, it was ok, but totally shadowed by salads. As we know nothing about wines, we were happy with the ones they brought. Service was decent, but nothing exceptional, we did not wait long for our meal or for the plates to be taken away. In conclusion, it is not an everyday thing, but certainly worth testing. Atmosphere is a bit sterile inside, but you can sit out and be by the pool.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Usually there's a great salad bar and buffet, there are different themed evenings for example on Friday it's all Fish and seafood, on Saturday evenings it's Mombasa Swahili type food. Eat as much as you like!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 4 days and the breakfast buffet was served at Cafe Magreb. The spread is fantastic and covers a lot of cuisines including Indian (for Indians travelling to Kenya). Kenya is known for fresh juices and these guys make some of the best stuff. Loved my breakfast on all four days. Great Variety, Great Service!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I had Christmas Eve dinner with my husband last night and I was very disappointed. The wine list to start was wrong as it had Calatteri wine stated as origin S.A while it actually is from Chile. The bread was stale. I asked for fresh bread and I was presented with the same bread basket. My starter of prawn was bland. My main course of grilled Angus beef - had two pieces one piece was edible the next was horrid and tasted off. I complained and all I got from Jonathan M was an apology and an admission that they tasted the piece of meat and while they claim it was not gone off the marination was not right.

It was not the experience we were expecting for ksh12,000. I'm not rushing back and I'd not recommend it either.