“Outstanding accomodations - a Nairobi gem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
African Heritage House
Ranked #7 of 269 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Salem, Oregon
“Outstanding accomodations - a Nairobi gem”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

African Heritage House is more than accomodations- it's an experience. Not only are the rooms spacious and comfortable, the view over Nairobi National Park is second to none.

My sister and I stayed here for 5 days, 4 nights. Alan had a driver pick us up and take us back to the airport which was only a short distance away. We had a hot dinner ready for us when we got there, and every need anticipated for us in advance (beds turned down with netting in place, bottled water in our rooms).

My room was the Lamu suite which has a veranda overlooking Nairobi National Park. The bed was comfortable and I had a private bath with a beautiful stone tub and shower. At night I could hear lions in the park (amazing!) and by day I could see zebras and giraffes grazing a short distance away.

There's a beautiful pool house and pool for relaxing by, and we enjoyed a glass of wine there one afternoon. Getting into Nairobi proper is a bit difficult, as traffic in Nairobi is horrific, but again, Alan arranged for a driver to take us into town. Besides going to Nairobi National Park, we visited the Karen Blixen House and grounds, the animal orphange at Daphne Sheldricks, the giraffe manor, and the Murumbi Gallery for some Kenyan history, all a short distance away.

But most amazing of all is the collection of African artifacts that Alan has collected here. Carved gourds, bakuba cloth, jewelry, African buffalo shields with lion tails, beaded aprons, and all sorts of historical carvings, headdresses and such. Mr Donovan is interesting, knowledgeable, and unforgettable.

Room Tip: My room was on the second floor, and I could hear lions in the park at night. My sister was on the...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Marsha E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
san francisco
Reviewed 11 September 2011

We met w/ Alan for lunch (fabulous) and a tour of the property (eveyr room amazing) prior to flying out - and regret not staying at his place during our layovers in Nairobi. I recommend stopping for at least and meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and tour. Oh how I wish I could have spent a day at that pool, drinking cocktails and enjoying the view.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple