“UNRELIABLE AND DISAPPOINTING”

Nairobi Airport Stop Over House
Ranked #98 of 284 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Knowing that my aircraft was arriving at 02.25 in the morning in Nairobi and I would need a bed for a few hours. I wanted somewhere near the airport and found the Nairobi Stopover House in a search of the web. It was cheap, I could get a single room en-suite and it’s website stated that is it is a ten minute drive from the airport.

I made the booking and was told that it would cost 35 USD and 18 USD for a taxi. I only needed a taxi one way since I had arranged my own pick-up to visit an orphanage on the outskirts of the city.

On arrival I picked up my luggage and was met by my taxi driver and taken on a journey that would take much longer than ten minutes during normal travel times but at three in the morning the road was clear. We turned left off the Mombasa Road into a maze of small streets in a rather rundown area and eventually I arrived at my destination at 03.15, tired and weary having travelled from around 06.30 the previous morning from my home in Ireland.

The reception area was unimpressive and did nothing to inspire confidence. But worse was to come when the receptionist announced that they did not have a room for me but I could get a room in a guest house around the corner. I was told to leave my two main bags at the Stopover House and come back there next morning for breakfast.

I was accompanied to the Mariakani villa, a few minutes’ walk away and I arrived in an equally unimpressive reception area. I was shown to a basic room on the third floor and no mosquito net. When I lay down on top of the bed and turned the light out I realised from the buzzing sounds that I was not alone! I had to contact reception and ask for an insect spray before contemplating sleep. Following a restless few hours’ sleep I got up and walked around to the Stopover House and met my prearranged driver that I have got to know well on my previous three visits to Nairobi.

We had breakfast together and he could not help wondering how I ended up in this place. The breakfast was basic with little choice but the coffee was good. I paid my bill and we left and because of its location we spent ages before we could get out to the main thoroughfare because of traffic jams that is a feature of Nairobi life. A journey to the airport would have taken one hour plus at any time from 7 to 10 in the morning which belies the ten minute drive.

Following my stay I sent an email to Zipporah, the reservations manager and here is her reply, as received, ‘Hello Irvine, yes i remember we had no room since there was a guest who decided to stay longer and occupied your room. All in all, i trust all was well though you cancelled your taxi back to the aiport the next morning the last morning which was a little inconvenience to us.’ Since I had only asked for a taxi from the airport I am not sure how I had inconvenienced them by not taking a taxi back to the airport.

The Stopover House seems to lack any organisation and has proved to me that it is unreliable. More importantly the area has little to recommend it.

Next time in Nairobi I will let my reliable taxi driver recommend a place to stay and take me there as he has done a few times before. Geoffrey is available on 00254703114172.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Irvine G

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Before deciding to stay in this stopover house, we (group of 6 adults and 3 kids) were contemplating to either sleeping in Nairobi Jomo Kenyatta airport or to choose this house. It is because we will arrive at Nairobi airport around 2 am and will start our safari trip at 8 am the same day.
However, after discussing further among ourselves, we decided to stay at this house, and IT WAS A GOOD DECISION as there are no proper place to sleep at the Nairobi airport.
Ms. Zipporah, the reservation manager, was very helpful and always respond to my numerous e-mail. If not instantly, her reply will not be later than 24 hours from the time e-mail was sent to her.
Upon arriving, we were greeted by one Ms. Grace who was very helpful and tried her best to accommodate our need. She even gave us a wake-up call at 6 am, even though I would assume she had her sleep after 3 am (after we have settled in).
In my earlier e-mail I have also requested Ms. Zipporah if she could provide us with halal food since our entourage are all Muslim. She surprised us by preparing us with halal sausages (which I've checked are available in Nairobi, but one have to search and ask around) which we've finished as as soon as we can to know about this. (Initially we thought that it was non-halal, but Ms.Zipporah assured us that she have requested the shop to provide her with halal sausages).
Even though our stop was a short one, we were truly grateful of their good service and their effort in catering with our needs.
The only setback that we have is the low water pressure (Ms. Zipporah said that the water pump was malfunction, hence the water cannot fill the roof tank. She said she will get the thing fixed). The surrounding is quite noisy in the morning due to its location near the main road, but not to the extent that it would wake you up from your precious sleep.
Other than that, it is a good option for transit and stopover purpose.
Just make sure you give your taxi driver the full address of the house, if you did not arrange beforehand for an airport transfer with the house.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Isbawandi
Reviewed 27 February 2014

On our way to Safari trip in Kenya we transit at this place as we arrived early in the morning so thought of take a nap and refresh ourselves before continue our long hours journey. with 6 adults and 3 kids we decided to take up the dormitory by paying approx USD26/pax including breakfast.
They suggested the family with kids to take separate rooms to avoid congested. the room are quite ok it just that the water pressure for that day was not ok due to water pump problem.
they served simple breakfast i.e: toast bread, jam, butter, omelette, and halal sausage as per our request, coffee, tea and juices.
Overall it's a nice place for the price you pay and if you plan for a transit in Nairobi. the only setback is the location as it located in the middle hometown area, guarded and gated so you have to ensure the driver knows the area and road name because no signboard from outside guard house.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank EasTLiN
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at Nairobi Airport Stop Over House for two nights in Nov. 2013. The pick-up and drop-off worked well and the hosts were very kind. The rooms we had were tidy and clean. It fullfilled all our good expectations and we look forward in coming back again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sebastian S
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We were booked for 3 stays at this "HOSTEL" and after giving it a second chance, cancelled the 3rd. stay. Rooms are bad...bathrooms are worse!!! Only consolation was some of the staff were helpful. It is situated in a pretty rough part of Nairobi, hense the gated area and compound. Also not as close to the airport as we were lead to believe..
Avoid if you can!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neil C
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We found them on internet, and initial contact was made by e-mail pretty fast. It was good and we managed to arange several safaris and they planed us hole trip for 3 weeks, even booked us a bus to Tanzania. Friendly and really helpful staff. Postition is pretty near the airport, and if you want to go to down town Nairobi it will take you 30 min of walking or few min by bus(if it's not jammed, and always is). There is great mall 300m from house so it's really easy to buy anything you need. If you are not accustomed trafic could be small problem for sleeping because you are 20 m from the main road to town but it's not that big issue.
After everything we've seen I think this is typical African over night(or few) accommodation with really friendly staff and great terrace on 1st floor(excelente for few beers). If you need anything arranged just ask the staff and they'll organize it for you. Do not expect european standards in anything in Africa(from accomodation to internet, eletricity, showers, etc.), if you are OK with that than this is really good place for couple of nights.

Room Tip: Ask for room with toilet!!