“Excellent Value - Convenient Location for Safaris”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Aero Club of East Africa
Ranked #80 of 261 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Summerville, South Carolina
“Excellent Value - Convenient Location for Safaris”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Aero Club is within the gates of Wilson Airport. It is less than a mile to the Safari Link terminal. I stayed here to avoid the Nairobi traffic before my morning flight to the Maasai Mara. I was impressed. I stayed in the new wing. The rooms were old but very clean and large with AC. I enjoyed a very good breakfast the following morning before my flight. This is the best value and location of any hotel in Nairobi if you are going on a safari.

Room Tip: Make sure to book in the new wing.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Don R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We had a strange experience here. We arrived late in Nairobi and had an early flight out so staying at the Aero Club (located on the grounds of the Wilson airport) made a lot of sense. And the location was in fact perfect and served the purpose completely. It felt safe and the beds were comfortable enough. While it could stand with some refurbishment it seemed adequately clean. All good so far. However, there was no running water in our room. Now, that is not completely unexpected in Africa but when we checked in no one bothered to tell us that the plumbing wasn't working in the entire hotel. There was a jug of drinking water in the room. We just went to sleep. In the morning we wandered into the restaurant and learned about the plumbing issues. So, no shower, no flushing of the toilet. The looks we got in the restaurant were not particularly welcoming and there was no obvious menu. We felt uncomfortable and unwelcome so chose not to try to eat breakfast there. When we tried to get directions to our airline and check out we were asked if we had already paid (no one there seemed to know or really care) and were given vague walking directions to Air Kenya and the suggestion that we could call a cab. OK, but we wouldn't even know what number to call for a cab if we had a phone which worked in Africa so we just walked and asked for help along the way. Fortunately it was an easy enough walk if you aren't overburdened with luggage and we got some nice pastries and coffee at Air Kenya for breakfast and used the bathrooms there to clean up as best we could.

So I am finding it difficult to rate this hotel fairly. It served the purpose of a safe, convenient place to stay for a short overnight between flights in Nairobi. I do think our experience is not usual for the place based on the other reviews I have read. However, I can't say it was all great. We paid almost $200US for a couple of hours and no shower or flush toilet. If someone had just said "So sorry, the plumbing is broken" I would feel differently as I know that unavoidable stuff happens sometimes. Ultimately, if location matters more than comfort, this is a reasonable place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank FamilyJourneys
USA
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the Aero club a East Africa very unique accommodations you don't go there for five star service to go there to reminisce and experience a bygone time the Aero club is full of nostalgia, from the pictures and memorabilia on the walls . It's an old English colonial club with old club rules the bar doesn't close till the last member leaves the bar.
They have efficient single and double rooms with television, shower, hot water and coffee maker, it makes the perfect layover spot if you're spending the night to go to JKIA early to beat the traffic or coming from safari landing at Wilson.
The restaurant does basic pub grub nothing special.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Tintinbluelotus
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I really loved this place. It was nostaglic, like stepping into the 1930's, the rooms were traditional, high ceilings with the moquito nets drawn up, and the bathroom just as it would have been in its heyday. Well kept and beautiful.

The AeroClub itself was a real treat, evoking again the luxury of the late 20's early 30's, all the old fixtures and fittings still in good condition and beautifully cared for. Its like old England in the layout, beautiful manicured gardens and the apartments, like little terraced bungalows!

The biggest surprise for me was the food! What a variety of choice and every morsel was a sensation for the tastebuds, what a pleasure!!!

We stayed here for one night but I enjoyed the experience, the architecture and the feeling of being in another era. It reminded me a lot of the film Out of Africa..... I would definately go back there again and soak in the atmosphere and the great food!

Definately worth a visit!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank FonzieBCN1
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had not visited the Aero Club for a number of years and was very impressed with the very much improved menu and quality of food. The menu was fun and interesting with a huge assortment of food to choose from. The food was delicious - especially loved the breakfast! The service was very fast and the staff friendly and polite and very helpful. The rooms are basic but fit the ambience of the place. My friends from Europe loved the 1920's feel. The perfect place to stay to avoid Nbi traffic and get on the road quickly and early out of town. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank kim r
shropshire, UK
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Aero Club is exactly what it says - a flying club for members, which allows non members to stay.
The advantages are a competitive price, a lovely bar and restaurant area with excellent food at reasonable prices, no need to go into the city centre, and most of all a wonderful ambience with a club feel and loads of historic photos and artefacts.
The disadvantages are pretty ordinary rooms though with all basic necessities, some traffic noise from the main road just outside the perimeter fence, and no online booking.
It is also vital for first time visitors to realise that the Aero Club is not at THE airport (JKIA) but at the older Wilson airport about 20 mins away by taxi.
I'd go back again just to soak up the atmosphere in the clubhouse.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank dred11
st.albans
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Have stayed several times, although the rooms need a little refurbishment they are comfortable,the ambience of both restaurant and bar areas are great, food and service is excellent, very convenient for flights.

Room Tip: The double rooms are a better choice
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo