“A Wonderful Trip”

Taipei, Taiwan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Trip”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We booked through African Game Trek Safaris, but since we did the 11-day Kenya/Tanzania safari, it also included a portion that was taken care of by Arunga Expeditions. We went with African Game Trek because the price/reviews were good, the itinerary online was more detailed than other companies, they advertised full-day game drives, and they responded quickly and professionally to our emails.

Needless to say, we were not disappointed! On both sides, the representatives (Erick in Kenya, Benjamin in Tanzania) were professional, helpful, and laid everything out for the whole trip.

All pick-ups were on time, and transportation was comfortable (except on the gravel road into Masai Mara – ouch!) Our guide in Kenya (Odhis) was very amiable, and knew the terrain well. He shared a lot of information about the culture, politics, way of life, etc. In Tanzania, our guide (Elli) was very knowledgeable about the animals and the terrain.

The safaris were amazing – my biggest worry was not spending enough time on safari, but that was no problem with this itinerary. I truly feel like both of these companies make an effort to maximize your chances of seeing animals, and we saw more than we thought we would.

One thing to note: With this specific tour, the meals that are provided as part of the package (all meals while “on safari”) do not include a few meals (I think 3 total) while you are “in transit” between Kenya and Tanzania. However, we were informed of this by Erick and it really wasn’t a problem since the hotels had places to eat and the food is very cheap.

PROS: Three full-day game drives and multiple early morning/later afternoon drives, maximum of six total people (for us, anywhere from 0-4 other people), great guides and chefs, accommodated vegetarian diet well, easy transport across border (both ways) and great customer service, fair price, free airport pick-up, appointments on time.

CONS: We did not do the evening game drive in Nakuru as the itinerary stated, Visit to Masai village near Masai Mara felt forced and contrived.

FYI, here is some info on the differences b/w Kenya and Tanzania:
Kenya: Lodging was permanent safari tents with attached bathrooms while on safari (except one night in standard hotel in Nakuru). Half of meals were buffet (provided by lodging) and other half made by a cook (Jackson) provided by GameTrek. Vehicle was van with pop-up top for viewing. Loud communications over radio while on safari (annoying, but helps to alert to animal sightings).

Tanzania: Lodging was standard camping tents (not permanent) and group bathrooms while on safari, and standard hotel in Arusha. Meals were all made by a cook (Isaac) provided by Arunga. Vehicle was Land Rover with pop-up top. No radio.

1 Thank rainydays1985

Cham, Switzerland
“"Excellent Safari with many animals"”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

We did a 5 day Safari with African Game Trek Safaris, it was amazing! Amboseli, Tsavo West and Tsavo East. Our driver and guide "Odhis" is a really friendly guy and a excellent guide. We saw many animals and had a great time! We can gladely recommend African Game Trek Safaris. Niklas & Rahel.

Visited February 2014
Munich, Germany
“100 percent recommendation for the African Game Trek Safaris”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

To book a tour to Masai Mara in Kenya with African Game Trek Safaris was just a great decision! I am 100 percent confident with the service the company offered! Why? Just two days before I planned to do the safari I contacted the company via email. I got - it was Sunday - a prompt reply of the senior consultant Erick. He confirmed the booking and was immediately willing to meet me in the evening - after his office closed already – at the bus station or at the hotel to do the payment. Erik did much more than he has to do, for instance gave me first orientation in Nairobi. Concerning the safari: everything was as promised. They met me at the hotel and organized after the excursion to Masai Mara a transfer back to the hotel without any additional costs. Safari by itself: also everything as promised. It is very likely to see on the 3-day-safari at least the big four plus the cheetah. We where on our tour lucky and we saw lions hunting buffaloes and other wild animals. The accommodation close to the entry of the safari park is absolutely fine: A mixture of bungalow and tent with washing rooms and electricity inside. Cosy mattresses guarantees good sleep. As I heard from other visitors: the accommodations close to Masai Mara that are more expansive are almost the same. Summering up: service plus price of African Game Trek Safaris guarantees a great travel and nature experience in Kenya. I don't like to make internet based decisions without any personal contact. But in this case I can only recommend without any doubts to make a booking with the reliable company African Game Trek Safaris.

Visited February 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“An Excellent Value for Safari in Kenya”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My friend and I researched about 5 options for our safari in the Maasai Mara and Lake Nakuru and African Game Trek was by far the cheapest option. Once we were on the safari, I was impressed at the value we received for our money.

Also, the guides we had were excellent. I saw more animals than I could have ever dreamed of seeing!

I highly recommend this group.

3 Thank heathclayton
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Great value for money"”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We went on a 4-day safari. The first day we visited Lake Nakuru, after that we headed to Maasai Mara. We chose for this company, as it was very cheap compared to other companies (we visited Kenya during Christmas, which means a peak in visitors/prices). First we were a bit hesitant, especially because the price was this low. Anyhow, the safari was amazing. The first day we were alone in the van, the remainder of the days we were 6 in total. In my opinion a good size for a group; everyone could stop when he/she wanted, without bothering the rest of the group. The accomodation the first day (near Lake Nakuru) was basic, but clean. Travelling with my brother, it was possible to get two single rooms without paying an additional fee. In Maasai Mara, we stayed in a tented lodge just outside the park. This lodge was also clean, and even "luxurious" matched with my expectations. The game drives were good, especially in the morning one we saw the aftermath of a kill by lions. Very impressive! Our driver Odhis was a very gentle and kind man, eager to giving us a great experience during our visit. One small remark would be that in our opinion the driver was more a driver than a guide; he only gave limited explanation with the animals we saw and was not very talkative about were and when to spot animals. However, we did see 4 out of 5 of the "Big Five" (all but the leopard), and this did not limit my joy over the safari. All in all I would say this was a great value for money choice and I could recommend this company to all people who want to go on a safari in Kenya or Tanzania. In addition, the communication in advance of the safari was convenient, contributing to the pleasant experience.

1 Thank CharlesP90

Been to African Game Trek Safaris - Day Tours? Share your experiences!