“The best budget safari available”

African Game Trek Safaris - Day Tours
Reviewed 2 July 2014

So many companies offer what seem to be identical budget safaris, that narrowing your choice down to a single company can seem an impossible task. So what sets African Game Trek Safaris apart from the rest? Having taken a budget safari in the past with another company, and had a far less enjoyable experience, I can safely say that it is the professionalism and attention to detail of all of the staff that makes African Game Trek Safaris different.

I took a six day safari to Masai Mara, Nakuru and Amboseli with African Game Trek Safaris in June 2014, and could not have been happier with the experience. Our drivers/guides, Odhis and Gibson, were always punctual, friendly and informative. They really went out of their way to make sure that we were happy, and to accommodate any preferences or requests that we had during the trip. The accommodation is described as 'camping', but that doesn't really cover it - we slept in double beds in large, comfortable tents, which had a separate shower room attached and electricity. The food was consistently good, and provided in large quantities. And during the game drives themselves we saw a huge variety of wildlife, thanks in large part to our drivers' careful attention to the animal sightings reported on the park radio.

When they say that everything is provided (apart from tips, and a few extras that no one would reasonably expect - laundry, drinks excluding mineral water, etc), they really do mean it. There are no hidden charges, which, as a traveller on a tight budget, had been my biggest fear when booking.

All in all, I would highly recommend African Game Trek Safaris to anyone looking to take a safari on a budget. For value for money and a fantastic experience, I really don't think that they can be beaten.

5  Thank Lauren W
in 15 reviews
in 10 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I booked the 6 day safari taking in Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara and Amboseli national parks. Despite booking at relatively short notice, our dates and choice of safari were quickly accommodated. I liaised with Erick throughout the booking process and he responded to all of my queries over email quickly, always within 24 hours and usually within a couple of hours or so.

The service throughout was exceptionally punctual- no “African time” operated here, a distinct contrast to many other providers we had read reviews of before deciding. On the first day we were picked up from our hostel exactly on time at 8.30am despite the (always) horrendous Nairobi traffic at that time in the morning. All of the game drives began right on schedule, including the early morning drives starting at 6:15am at Masai Mara and Amboseli.

Our drivers were Odhis for Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara and Gibson for Amboseli. Both drivers had excellent knowledge of the parks and used the in car radio to full effect to ensure we saw as much as possible- far more than I had ever hoped for. We saw all of the “big 5” animals by the end of day 3 of 6, and multiple sightings of lions (8 or 9 times), cheetahs (3 times), elephants (too many to count), and the relatively rare rhino and leopard once each. The drivers both had a good knowledge of the flora and fauna, which was important as many animals I wasn’t familiar with; Waterbucks and Hartebeests for example. The drivers were also always careful to allow us as much time as we wanted for photos.

The accommodation was good throughout, the highlight being a hotel at Lake Nakuru with Wi-Fi. At the campsites at Masai Mara and Amboseli we had access to power supplies during the morning and evening and TVs were available in the communal areas to catch-up on World Cup highlights. Hot water supplies were fine at Lake Nakuru and Masai Mara, though a little more variable at Amboseli. The food was good throughout and was fully inclusive (aside from drinks other than bottled water which were extra as informed in advance). At the relatively small Amboseli site the company sent a chef to provide us with cooked breakfasts both days, sausages, eggs, pancakes etc.

All in all it was a fantastic safari- so important as this may be the only one I ever experience, which will likely the same for many others as well for this type of holiday. I would thoroughly recommend African Game Trek Safaris to anyone considering booking. As the almost unanimously excellent reviews on this site demonstrate you won’t find better on this budget.

6  Thank 27philip
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It has been a pleasure to be with African Game Trek Safaris Day Tours.
It has been an awesome experience while on our safari. i highly reccommend Nakuru and Massai Marra national park. The hotels and camping was great concerning the great price that we get.
We went with African Game Trek because the price/reviews were good adn of course the prompt comunication that we get.
Even we went on a rainy season(17 April-30 April), the weather was great and we sow a lot of animals too.
The driver - Odis - really tried and gave himself to make the experiance great.
Thank you...

3  Thank Olympia M
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We choose 6 days Safari (Masai Mara, Nakuru and Amboseli), they arranjed everything very quick for me, replying the emails, everything with details and very good price cause it includes hotel, food, tours, when we arrived in Nairobi they pick up in the hotel in Nairobi exactly on time! I was surpised! We changed our route because was only me and my husband, so we went for Amboseli first, the driver Odis (I hope I write his name correctly) was taking us to see the elephants, also we visited the Masai people, from our caping we could see the big mountain, the highest in Africa, Kilimanjaro, was cloudy, but I saw the top full of Ice, Our camping had hot shower and a confortable bed, good food prepared there. After 2 nights we went early morning to Nakuru, very nice driving game, after that we sleep in the hotel and next day we went to Masai Mara, I loved the camping, very confortable, we could hear the animals, everything that I wanted! nice food.
Describing the Africa Itself, is difficult cause is amazing, we were going for the sunrise and sunset in the middle of savana, we saw all the big five, white Rhino, Black Rhino, Chettah, Lions, Elephant, Buffalos, Of course we saw much more, we saw hienas eating leftover zebra, we so huge group of buffalos, zebras starting migration, amazing lions family, small animals, the environment it self is difficult to describe, cause is unique, the Masai people you definitely have to visit as well, only if you do the Safari you know how amazing it is. I would like to thank you Game Trek, and also our driver (Odis) beause he was stopping in the most beautiful places to us take nice pictures, and was always searching for the best places. I DEFINITELY RECOMEND GAME TREK SAFARI.

3  Thank Mariza S