“Escape in the city”

Karura Forest
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Karura Forest Half-Day Tour with Trail Bike...
Ranked #4 of 128 things to do in Nairobi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Karura Forest Reserve is an urban upland forest on the outskirts of Nairobi, the capital of Kenya. This remarkable geographical location and natural resource is one of the largest gazetted forests in the world fully within a city limits. It covers an area of about 1,000 ha (2,500 ac) and today is a shining example of how country-based corporate social responsibility and individual philanthropy can serve to secure and protect a country's natural resources. The forest offers eco-friendly opportunities for Kenyans and visitors to enjoy a leafy green respite from the hustle and bustle of the city to walk, to jog, or simply to sit quietly and experience the serenity of nature in all its diversity.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Great place to head out of town that is in town - about 5Km from centre. Safe, Secure, Green, Marked tracks for walking, jogging, cycling. Would recommend.

All reviews
in 124 reviews
in 56 reviews
in 39 reviews

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I am privileged to be able to walk in the forest with my dog most days. We are greeted by very friendly staff who are always upbeat and a pleasure to chat to. I recommend you buy a map so you get the most out of the forest. I initially repeated the same route but once I bought my map I have discovered so many beautiful parts we were missing. I agree with other reviewers that you need to choose your footwear wisely as there are some trails that are steep and the ground is quite hard. Along with the monkeys and trees there are some wonderful flowers, birds and butterflies to be seen. The forest has a lovely safe feel to it and the only danger I've had was from a lady on a bicycle who slowed down so much as she went past us that she could have fallen into us. She didn't, she fell into a hedge instead and after I pulled her out and made sure she was ok we burst out laughing. She hadn't been on a bike for 20 years. Back on the bike she got, and off she went chuckling away. That day sums up the Karura experience for me as the forest brings out the best in everyone.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Nairobi is unique in having an extensive forest within the city and it is a wonderful cool and shady place to spend a few hours walking, running or cycling the well-marked trails. There are lots of bird species to be seen and if you are lucky you may spot a bush-buck, syke's monkey or even the newly introduced and spectacular colobus monkey.

For those who like geocaching, there are plenty of geocaches hidden both in Karura Forest and the neighbouring and well worth visiting Sigiria Forest.

So make the most of this valuable and enjoyable resource!

1  Thank SawaSawa2011
Reviewed 11 August 2014

this is one of my favourite places in Nairobi. Can't believe I only discovered it last year. I run the trails regularly. Peaceful and serene