“My Second Visit to Kenya”

Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
Ranked #10 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
“My Second Visit to Kenya”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I have to travel at times for work and this was my second trip to Kenya. Having stayed in this hotel once before, I knew what to expect. The food is always fantastic, the atmosphere is nice and the staff are amazing here. On this trip, one of the hotel staff was determined to teach me some Swahili - something that I thought was fantastic.

The room that I stayed in wasn't as nice as the first and would suggest that some of the bathrooms could do with refurbishment. That written, my overall experience at this hotel is very, very positive. This place is definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Have Stayed here 4 or more times over the last 18 months.

the staff are friendly the standard is consistent with southern sun hotels around Africa & is a generally comfortable place to stay.

Ideally located in mid-Westlands near several malls & near most businesses. this is a decent & ideal stay for a quick trip through Nairobi.

Room Tip: the rooms near the pool are nice and quiet, although a bit of a far walk. the rooms near the confere...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

What a lovely place. It feels like an oasis...lots of trees, water and a gentle vibe. Staff are friendly, food is excellent and the rooms are very well appointed. The walk to breakfast (by the pool) I a great start to the day. An excellent business hotel without that glossy insincerity you find in major chains. Oh...and it comes complete with a pond full of tiny whistling frogs.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Lots of mosquitoes in my room, tiny room for a huge price. Large and noisy fan in the ceiling. Insects entering the room at night. TV pictures are not neat and channel list is poor.
The staff is cool and professional but the facilities are really old.

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Michael P, Manager at Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi, responded to this review, 18 June 2014

We are most disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and we extend our sincerest apologies for the experience you had with mosquitoes in your room - our Housekeeping Department have since put corrective measures and procedures in place to ensure maximum comfort for our Guests.

Your comments regarding our rooms have been constructively communicated to our Development Team for consideration. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi in the near future.

Best regards,
Michael Phillipson
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 15 June 2014

My stay at the Mayfair was extended for one day at the request of my client, , and all arrangements were made via my travel agent to spend the Tuesday night as well, and leave early Wednesday. However, when I got to my room at 20h00 on Tuesday night, so exhausted after a hard day's work and a successful project wrapped up, that I could perish, I found my bedroom locked. I was told by the hotel attendant to go and sort things out at reception. It was clear that their system had me as a trespasser and was not updated with the changed booking detail. At that point I was so furious and exhausted that I burst out in tears and threatened to sleep there and then in front of my door. The attendant relented and went to have my door card re-installed. Upon leaving the next morning at 5h00 I found that my safety box with my passport and travel documents inside was also locked and had, once again, to ask for assistance. I have yet to receive an apology for the trauma and upset which is due to the hotel's system obviously not being in sync with the travel agency. This has left such a poor taste in my mouth that it blew in smithereens the positive experience I had beforehand. The way I feel now, I would definitely request my client to book me anywhere else but at the Mayfair in future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Michael P, General Manager at Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you so much for your recent visit to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi and for your valuable feedback regarding your experience with us. Thank you for taking my telephone call this afternoon, it was a pleasure to chat to you.

We will certainly approach the Travel Agent concerned to ascertain why we did not receive notification of your extended stay prior to your departure date and we will resolve the issue to ensure this does not happen again. Please note that without prior notification of your extended stay your Room Key will expire on the original departure date for security reasons. Furthermore, we have since resolved the issue you experienced with your in room safe.

Once again, we thank you for your most valuable feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi in the near future.

Kind regards

Michael Phillipson
Southern Sun Mayfair Nairobi
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights from the 2 - 7 of June and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The staff were very welcoming upon arrival and throughout the stay and the service was very efficient. Keep up the great work!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

1 Thank Avi_Reddy
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here during a business trip to Kenya and was very surprised at this small but very cozy hotel. Full of gardens that surround your way to the room. The room was fully equipped, internet was fast, and size of room and bathroom were ok. Hotel personnel very friendly and willing to help at once. The best was the included breakfast, since it is served in the restaurant by the pool, what makes it very relaxing, and the quality and the quantity of the food were excellent as well.
One of the restaurant that serves the hotel "The Golden Spur" has great food and drinks and the atmosphere was really good. I really recommend this hotel, that is below price of other considered "top hotels", but it offers the same confort and service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business