“Very good hotel in good location”

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #17 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 3 June 2011

The hotel is one of the best in Nairobi. The location is excellent right in the city centre. Staff are very good and the rooms and facilities are top class. The restaurants are very good and do a good bbq style buffet which changes each night. Whilst there I joined the business club for wifi and breakfast which was good value and in a nice quiet separated room on one of the floors. All in all a very good hotel and I would recommend for very pleasant stay in Nairobi.

Room Tip: Get to know staff as they have good tips
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jamsimsafc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed 27 April 2011

The IC was a perfect hotel for me, though maybe slightly overpriced. There is a high emphasis on security at the gate and on the main entrance. Staff were friendly and the hotel public areas (lobby/restaurants/bars) were all of a high standard. Check-in was very straight forward. The room was more 4* rather than 5* but still very pleasant and comfortable to stay in. Would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Need_M0re_H0liday
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I was stayed at the Intercontinental Nairobi for 1 week in early April 2011. I am a Gold Priority Club Member and Intercontinental Ambassador. The staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful as you would expect for the price of the room. The Hotel was typical of the Intercontinental look and feel although the room slightly smallish compared to other rooms I have stayed in elsewhere with the chain. The food is fantastic and should be at those prices. I recommend they Kenyan dishes. Very tasty. Room Service has an extensive menu from Italian, local, Inidan and others. The 24 hour internet will cost you an arm and a leg @ USD $26 for 24 hours which is highway robbery. The wireless was not reliable so cable/LAN was used for the most part.

MY MOST NEGATIVE EXPERIENCE: I have to say I did not appreciate the way the head security man treated my friend who is a local when he came to visit me to say hello and catch up. My friend forgot his ID on the first night so I came down to vouch for him and sign him in. I totally understand the need for security but he almost eye-balled and glared at my guest like he was a piece of crap. My visitor received almost the same treatment every time he came to visit me over the 7 days even when he came with ID. This is UNACCEPTABLE as far as I am concerned. I was extremely annoyed when my visitor came to see me on the first night and I was told I by front desk that I had to pay and extra $50 (maybe more from memory) if my guest wanted to stay the night. He was only coming up for a coca-cola and a chat. I asked Reception if they were implying that my male friend and I were sleeping together as I only had a King size bed in the room. The receptionist and security man back pedalled very quickly when I told them I resented the implication. I wasn't happy at all. It was like being in boarding school and as a 39 year old man it is not welcome nor appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if it is low season.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank AdamL1972
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I am staying here tonight. What a disapointment. I have stayed at the Tribe, at the Crowne Plaza and the Palacina. All of them much better. This hotel is so old. It smells, its noisy, needing a huge upgrade.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank DanaPrista
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Stayed two nights in room #505. The hotel appears to have been grand once, but is now a little shoddy. The staff is great and the food is pretty good. A yummy breakfast buffet and good food by the bar/pool area. The area is safe for Nairobi, but to get around the staff recommend a cab – even for a ten-minute walk in daylight. The traffic to airport on a Friday night was the worst traffic I’ve ever seen – makes Boston and NYC look tame. I didn’t get to have a massage, but one tourmate did and she said it was really good – and cheap, too. Our room keys never worked. The front desk can do currency exchange or get you money back from your credit card.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaineIzzy
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Stayed here for business. the check in was a small problem that was due to lots of being trying to check in at the same time. we got free drinks for waiting. that was nice, it made a good impression on me. the room is great, the place is clean and the staff are all friendly and helpful.
good breakfast and nice indian resturant. if your in nairobi for business. this is a good place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2011

I was staying at the Intercontinental Nairobi after my trip to Egypt was canceled due to the demonstration.The whole check in experience was excellent n we were received with quite hospitality of the highest magnitude;we were provided with glasses of juices and a warm towel and the actual check in just took 4 minutes.
What amazed me a lot was the experience and knowledge of one of the porters a Mr Abgao Asad who's diverse experience of the facilities in and outside the hotel were amazing.
We had a booking at the Haandi restaurant during our stay so ew had gone to order for a taxi to take us there but to our surprise this guy convinced us to have dinner in their Indian restaurant which to me it was quite an exprience.
We also had a problem with our flight since the flight was a connecting one we wanted to change the flights date since my mum wasn't feeling well.
Mr Abgao went out of his way and decided to go himself to the Airpor to change the flights since the town offices were closed.
If this is ot hospitality at its best i don't know what is.
It was quite a surprise to find a porter who had a diverse concierge knowledge.
Just hope to be back soon.
Asante.