“Good Service”

Ranked #22 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good Service”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I have previously given a not-so great review to the Intercontinental Nairobi. This time around, I stayed at the Intercontinental for 6 days, doing business in Nairobi. I must say that I stayed at stayed at the Club Room Level therefore my experience might be influenced by this factor. The check-in was a breeze at the priority club desk in the lobby. My room was really nice. One thing I like about hotels in Kenya is the way they make "the bed" in the evenings and this was no exception. The added advantage of being on the club level was being able to use the club lounge on the 6th floor. Breakfast at the lounge is great as there were choices between al carte and buffet. My only complaint with the lounge is that it is really very loud with TV set at high volume and the business-types constantly on the phone. Also, the airport pickup/drop off rate ($30) is pretty much stiff for Kenya. The staff at the hotel provided excellent services for my conference and throughout my stay. I will stay here again but at the club level.

Room Tip: Club level floor and Rooms on club level are quieter. Also, corner units, away from elevators are ni...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Switzerland
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Intercontinental is great for business travellers to Nairobi. Situated in a central location, has a pool, the food is great, and it provides parking. The hotel was very busy when we were there but the staff was very friendly - from the concierge to room service.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Avon, Indiana
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel prior to a safari and also before departing to Tanzania. It appears to be a popular choice for tour groups. Our checkin was fast and efficient. Our room was of average size and was clean and comfortable. Staff was very helpful and could answer most questions. Since our meals were included in our package safari price I can't comment on individual menu selections. However, the buffet was large and very good. Breakfast was especially good. There is a bar in the lobby. There are two gift shops in the lobby which have a very nice selection of items at good prices. I stored an extra suitcase here while on safari and it was returned to me safely. We also stayed in a day room here when we returned to Nairobi prior to our flight home. We were in a different section of the hotel which appeared to be much updated over our room prior to the safari. Security appears good at this hotel which is important in Nairobi.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 27 October 2011

As we were reviewing our first ever trip to Africa (kenya / tanzania), we were not sure of many of th ehotel chains we were plannign to sty in (despite having done searches etc) but we were very sure of Intercontinetal - having used th ehotel chain all over the world. However, our experience at the hotel was nothing short of pathetic. Confirmed bookings, staying there twice in our two week journey through Kenya, travelling with kids - nothing mattered at all. We had requested for extra beds for kids and arrived late night after nearly 24 hours in travel, to find rooms not ready and no extra beds. At midnight, received the poorest service, resulting in an hours delay. Broken toilet seats, no towels in the room - the list was endless.

what made it worse was the whole "no care" attitude of the staff and management and each time we raised a question, we were told that Samsung is doing its dealers meet there and we are totally sold out.

Thinking that every hotel has a bad day, we returned later to find even worse treatment. Again, noone honoured a confirmed booking, no extra beds and worse attitude. at 7pm , way past check in time, we were asked to wait in the Lobby for nearly 2 hours so that they could find us a room. This is when we had a confimed and reconfirmed booking for two rooms.

I left a strongly worded feedback for the General Manager of the hotel - but guess it has deserved no attention so far.

By the time we left, our kids said - Never again in Intercontinental.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank garimav
IHGCare, ihgcare at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Dear Garimav,

I am most disappointed and concerned to read your comments. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Thanks,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Spent four nights here for a conference, so very convenient, and convenient for exploring central Nairobi, but sheesh, how about replacing the carpet every now and again and what's with the frequent overcharging and double billing for drinks?

Rooms are large, but pretty shabby. Carpet is dingy and worn, brasswear in the bathroom was all either falling off the wall or showing its brass...so old that the chrome plating had been worn off with use. Staff was very friendly, and on the two occasions when I needed something in my room (a lamp fixed, a bath towel when housekeeping had left me none) someone was there within five minutes, pretty good for a large hotel.

However, on a number of occasions, F&B staff attempted to either overcharge or involuntarily up-sell. One evening at dinner, when most of the table was drinking still bottled water, one of my colleagues requested sparkling. Rather than simply bring us the sparkling version of the local water we were drinking, she brought and opened, without consulting any of us, a US$11 bottle of Norwegian water. Huh?! Twice bar staff attempted to charge me too much, once for a 'double' that was only a single and another time for a more expensive wine than I ordered and was served. Another time bar staff attempted to double bill some members of our party. Once is a mistake, twice might be incompetence. Four times is a pattern.

A complaint to management elicited a concerned look and a promise to check into it, but in the end no one seemed to particularly care and promised contact with the F&B manager never materialized.

1 Thank innoabrd
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Nairobi, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Innoabrd,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry that you received service that was less-than-satisfactory and regret any inconvenience that your experience has caused you.
We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
IHG Care
Haywards Heath
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My second stay of the year at this property, and I was hoping for a better experience than my previous stay (see previous review). On that occasion, despite an upgraded room, the aircon fid not work properly causing issues dueing my stay.

On this occasion I had flown overnight from London, worked on arrival, so by the time I arrived at the hotel at 6pm I was looking forward to a soak and a feed. Much to my chagrin, I was told that there were no rooms ready and that I would have to wait. I was not impressed and kicked off a little, at which stage a room was found. I am sorry, but check in time is 3pm, so there should be rooms available at 6pm when customers arrived.

Even more to my chagrin was the fact that when I entered the room (not upgraded this time), I was hit by heat like that found in sauna. Readers of my other reviews will know I have regular issues with air-con, but here it was definitely was not working. To be fair, when I logged the issue, it was fixed, but it should have been working to start with. My in room kettle was dead and did not work throughout the trip, despite my complaining about it.

The room was uninspiring. The upgraded rooms are nice, the regular ones not so. It was tired and the bathroom was compact and had seen far better days. Not great.

Also, beware the interent vouchers. You have to go to the business centre to buy them which is annoying if you are in your room pottering about doing work before bed. Do NOT buy 24 hour access, unless you are going to be connected for the entire 24 hours. The 3 and 6 hour vouchers are far better value and allow you to log in and out during the 24 hour period.

I ate each evening in the lobby bar area, which was fine. The food was tasty, may be not the cheapest, but tasty, and the lobby is also a great place to people watch.

This hotel is still OK, but needs to start bucking up its ideas - I fear it is becoming a touch complacent.

1 Thank David W
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel a total of 4 nights. The first 2 prior to leaving for safari, then an overnight stay on the way back from Northern Kenya on the way to Amboseli National Park and then once again at the end of the safari prior to flying to Capetown.

The InterContinental Nairobi, I would recommend. While it does seem to be a popular stop for those leaving on safari, it was also a popular spot for airline flight crews. The rooms are spacious, clean, beds comfortable, was in rooms facing the 'front' of the hotel and all was satisfactory. Stayed on the 3rd floor - nice to be able to take the stairs up and down & the 7th floor - bit too much to take the stairs!
There is a large tree outside and home to quite a few marabou storks - very large, great picture op! There is a main street that goes in front of the hotel and you can watch the locals walking to their destination in the morning and walking home in the evening, busy area, safe to venture out - talk to the concierge, he will arm you with a map and a walk to the city market is a must. You will learn to dodge the traffic like a local! But, do remember you are in a big city and be aware of your surrounds.

The hotel has a fantastic pool, nice way to relax after a busy day of sight seeing. The main dining area serves a wonderful breakfast and lunch buffet. If you love soup - the soups you will experience throughout Kenya are delicious. There is a dinner buffet, but didn't experience that, did order off the a la carte menu and that was good. There is a bar outdoors past the pool, as well as a bar in the main lobby of the hotel. There is also specialty restaurants - one serving pasta, the other Indian. The business centre is well lit, has a number of computers, and a staff member is in the centre ready to help you as needed. Internet/wifi is good and there is a nominal charge. The hotel does have a small casino, a number of gift shops. There is an atm machine, but not always in working order, the front desk will gladly change your money into Kenya Shillings. Please note that if you are traveling with travellers checks, the original purchase receipt is required if you try to cash those at the main desk.

All of the staff encountered were helpful and always have a smile on their face.

Upon entering the hotel by vehicle, there is a guard that opens and closes the gate when vehicles enter & exit. A minor detail to stay safe. When entering the hotel there is a door with a sensor, but the staff know if you are part of a safari and they will open the 'other' door that doesn't require you to pass through the sensor. It is a bit humorous as the sensor always beeps but no one seems to be too worried about that. When you check out of the hotel, once you 'check' out, you will be given a slip of paper that notes you have officially checked out and may be asked for this at the door when you depart.

Room Tip: The sliding door of your room will open, so if you like fresh air this is good, if you find it too n...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends