“Wonderful place to travel to with your partner”

InterContinental Nairobi
Ranked #22 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
kampala
“Wonderful place to travel to with your partner”
Reviewed 24 May 2010

A few weeks ago I decided to take my wife on our annual holiday - she has always wanted to go to kenya. So we booked a trip around the country and started off in nairobi. The hotel is really something. We booked into a superior room but when we checked in we were convinced to upgrade to their club floor. The rooms are so cosy and romantic. The staff really go out of their way to help and to suggest different things! Even the security guards are so helpful with everything! When we were walking to the lifts they jump to press the button to call the lift. The hotel is definately a place that I would go to again. The staff really helped us to get our holiday off to a fantastic start!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
British Columbia
Reviewed 12 May 2010

It is in a central location which was welcome given the awful Nairobi traffic. It was reasonably quiet at night, and the room was a good size. No real complaints other than the elevators that rarely worked; this was frustrating if you're there on business and carrying items. And the cost of the restaurants on-site was high.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental Nairobi while my husband was on a business trip. The concierge staff eagerly offered their services to show me around the city as well as accompany me to numerous parks and shopping ventures. In addition, the rooms were very nice and the staff were very eager to help no matter what the situation. I would also recommend this hotel because it is safe and the staff are definitely concerned about your safety.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I happened to visit Nairobi as I was attending a memorial for my brother…As a regular guest at the Sena hotel they were booked full and I could only get a room here. What I can say about the staff is that they will go the extra mile to ensure that everything goes excellent. When they found out the reason for my visit, they sent me a condolence card signed by most of the team (a first in the 20 odd years that I have been travelling). They went out of their way to even enquire if I wanted someone from the hotel to accompany me. The hotel itself is a little old although it maintains the InterContinental touches and service. Rooms are good although you should try as much as possible to book the Deluxe rooms – they are on higher floors and recently renovated – I was moved after signing on to their loyalty program. The guest relations and house keeping at this hotel make the place worth visiting as they are genuinely open in how they treat you and will go the extra mile. The GM invites guests for a cocktail weekly which was a nice touch as I got to meet him and his senior management team. The only negative experience is the room service which took a long time. However, the guest relations compensated for the wait which was fair. All in all, a nice place that I will definitely be staying

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
indianapolis
Reviewed 7 May 2010

I went with a group of medical specialties who were touring Kenya clinics. Pur meals and meatings were well arranged, and I particularily enjoyed the breakfast buffet. I did not bring a laptop so I can't say if the internet is better or worse. I remember effieciency.
Not as luxurious as some other Intercontinentals I have been to, but in two stays there I was satisfied. I still have the safari vest I got there as a memento.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Reviewed 5 May 2010

I stayed her to attend a conference last month. The only thing I can say is that the place was very close to the Convention Center, but was nevertheless a disappointment. As a business traveler, you expect certain things, like a good environment for working including reliable internet, voice mail and a good desk set up. This place had none of those. The internet was spotty at best. The voice mail system didn't work- when I called to aks that was all I was told "it's not working"- no word on when it will be working (if ever). The chair for the desk was too low and very uncomfortable, while the desk light was not on the desk and so did not provide adquate light for working. Not a place for a business traveler.

Furthermore, things just kept breaking. One day the light bulbs, another day the shower, another day no towels. To their credit, the staff were always friendly and very responsive, fixing all of these inconveniences right away. My hat off to them as they have to cope with a mgmt team that seems to have little interest in modernizing the place. But the hotel is just dark and narrow and generally out of date. Needs a serious upgrade.
I just cannot justify the +$250/night to stay there. Let me add that the rate is room only. Internet is an additional $30/day (for 24 hrs) and breakfast will also set you back another $18 or so.
When they were the only game in town I'm sure ppl paid the price. Today, there are more choices, including a host of better priced competitors with more amenities who I'm sure provide a better experience.

Don't stay here, it's really not worth it.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Geneva
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I am a frequent traveler to Nairobi and I have stayed at the InterContinental Nairobi a few times. Last year I traveled to the hotel and to be honest I was slightly disappointed. The internet was not working so well and they didn't have enough towels!! I had to wait for one hour for a towel!! My room was also not quite what I was used to at InterContinental Hotels. All in all I didn't think that i would go back there!

I decided to give the hotel another chance as the staff promised me that this was a one off experience! You know to be honest I never really believed that but decided to give them another chance as the hotel is quite close to my place of work. I was so glad that I did this!!! From the moment I checked in the experience was turned around! I came in around 18:00 and my room was ready but what was more impressive was that I did the check in in my room!!! I didn't have to wait in the queue!! The room was much better than the last time - they have spent some money putting new soft furnishings in the room and it really makes a difference. The food presentation is a lot better and overall the quality and variety impressed me. I must say the room attendant was really fantastic, she was so friendly and really accommodating. I told her that last time I had to wait an hour for towels and was glad to see that there were some in the bathroom already...that night I went to my room and I had an extra two towels(this continued till the end of my stay).

All in all I really am glad I gave them another chance and it was really a turn around. The entire team seems really switched on to my needs and I felt really cared for.

Try it out - its definitely a place where they take their promises seriously!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business