“It's a mystery.....”
Review of Hilton Nairobi

Hilton Nairobi
Ranked #31 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Checking-in after an unpleasant experience at another hotel is quite a relief. If you've stayed here before it's all fairly predictable and check-in is a pleasant experience, especially when still chuckling at having been greeted with a cheery "welcome back, Sir" by the Concierge and responded with "I've never been here before".

For me, the excitement of wondering what won't work in the room this time is always part of the thrill.This time it was the hot water tap to the sink.

On check-out three days later, and despite having been reported and re-reported, it still didn't work.

I was planning to suggest they use the proceeds from the outrageous in-room internet connection charges to hire a plumber, but every time I saw the General Manager wandering around with the air of a man who doesn't have a care in the world, I realised it would fall on deaf ears.

Room Tip: Ask at check-in for a room in which "everything works". When you get there, check every do...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us.

We do appreciate your honest feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

I have noted your comments regarding the hot water tap and sink which you reported during your stay and were not attended to. I am indeed sorry that this really inconvenienced you and I have reported the same to our Chief Engineer for corrective measures to be taken and avoid this from occurring the future.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you back to the Hilton Nairobi again, to prove to you that we always strive to satisfy all our guests staying with us and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed 19 May 2014

HiltonNairobi, is very basic compared to other hotels close by. The hotel, rooms, bathrooms are in serious need of a revamp / refurbishments. Old fixtures and fitting which are outdated. Bathrooms have cracked tiles. Food at buffet staions for breakfast and lunch were good. The waiters though were hard to find at times.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us.

We have noted your comment regarding the status of our rooms and bathrooms, I am indeed very sorry for this did not meet your expectation. We are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance; the nearly completed lift replacement is the first part of this project.

Thank you for the fine compliments regarding food served both at breakfast and lunch. I however regret to note that the waiters could not be easily reached and I have shared your sentiments with the food & beverage manager for corrective measures to be taken.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I experience a excellent stay and the service if very good. The rooms are well maintained and the breakfast is excellent. I would recommend it for tourists and business stay anytime. It is walking distance from the company I had business with. The pool and fitness area is world class. Thank you Hilton

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Manuela B, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We are glad to note that you were very satisfied with your overall experience, and thank you for the fine compliments you make about our service, breakfast and pool fitness facilities.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I have stayed at the Nairobi Hilton not less than 10 times. Being enrolled in the Hilton Honors programme stays here have enabled me to benefit from this loyalty scheme.

The hotel is very fine to look at from outside and even the interior decor at the reception is fine. However I have been disappointed by the rooms as these have not been upgraded for years. Am not sure if the corridor carpets have been changed - a few years ago the carpets were well worn out.

The Executive Floor is a little better as the hotel provides the luxury of two adjoining rooms at the price of one.

A big plus at the hotel is the heated swimming pool which allows you to swim in any weather. However it is advisable to keep one's towels or bathe robe close by the pool because Nairobi's chilly weather, especially in the winter months, can easily get one with a flu or pneumonia.

The negative factor about this hotel is the traffic. As the hotel is located in the heart of Nairobi city, the traffic around the hotel is bad and immediately one steps out of the hotel there are hundreds of people walking on their daily chores. We were advised by the hotel concierge not to walk out with any valuables.

Sometimes the Hilton offers very special rates which is one of the reasons I sometimes still consider staying here.

Munir Daya

Room Tip: Higher floors are better because these give you a good view of the city and keep you protected from...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us, and we do appreciate your constructive feedback and this will go a long way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Unfortunately the physical state of our facility did not meet your expectation during your recent stay with us, as you indicated in this review; my profound apologies for this, and I am pleased to advice that we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance; the nearly completed lift replacement is the first part of this project.

I appreciate your fine comments regarding the swimming pool and I have shared your comments with the Health Club Manager. With regards to the traffic; the county government is working on modalities to decongest the city centre.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Guys

This is not the place to stay.

I booked a 1 week stay at the Hilton Nairobi whilst on business in the city. Oh my what a place.

The owner of the hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

Look at the website and pictures provided by management.

Then go and look at the real deal. Now it does not take a wizard to work out something does not quite match here.

When it was new great. Not now, with faulty showers and dirty sheets.

All I can say is reception will not move you at all even if there is a problem with your room. I have a video which I'm posting on you tube of the response.

Basically if you want a new room you pay upgrade.

Simple.

Try best western in town. Amazing and new.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank UKINSPIRE

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us.

I regret to see that our property outlook and facilities did not meet your expectations, I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. However, we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

We sincerely appreciate your honest feedback and we do hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Nairobi.

With Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed at the Hilton in Nairobi for three nights in April. As most of the reviews state, the hotel requires some attention in certain areas. The rooms are neat and clean and well appointed. But the toilets badly need renovation. This is where the hotel is lacking when we consider international standards. The check in/ check out process was quick. Staff were always helpful and the location is apt if you want to be in the centre of the city, next to the KICC and the supreme court. Break fast is okay at the best and can improve, when comapred with other Hiltons that I have stayed else where.

Internet is on chargeable basis in the room. But is quite fast. In room dining will cost you more. The general quality of food, with regards to taste, needs to improve considerably.

One very positive aspect of the hotel is the halth club and swimming pool. Both are well maintained and worth your while. On the whole, Hilton Nairobi will be a safe and conveninent option for an international traveller.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the fine compliments regarding the helpfulness of our team members, health club, swimming pool and the general safety of the hotel .

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just as my title says, don't trust website photos. Their standard rooms are nothing like the photos. Very disappointing. The rooms look like they could use an update. For a Hilton hotel, it was very disappointing. Any new furniture was of very cheap quality. So obvious because it did not match the older furniture. The beds had no stoppers so you had to keep pushing it against the wall. Lighting was very bad - not enough light in the room.

But, staff were friendly and the breakfast buffet was more than adequate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Manuela B, Director of Operations at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent stay with us.

I regret to see that our property outlook did not meet your expectations, I am sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. However, we are indeed in the planning process of a master plan renovation that will enhance the overall hotel facilities and appearance.

Best regards,