“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #29 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Toronto
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 12 March 2011

After reading an appalling review before I left I was leary of what to expect. It was a lovely surprise to be welcomed by the night staff. Our room was adequate, the beds great and a lovely big clean bathroom. No street noise. Best of all was the great breakfast buffet. We came back a week later for another night and it was just as nice.

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank toronto-beeb
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
It has been a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to write to us. Hilton has always taken pride in ensuring that our guests have the feeling of it being a home away from home.

We are proud to note that you had a great experience with our night team members as well as that you enjoyed our room ambience and facilities, the serenity of the hotel and our breakfast buffet. Believe me, comments such as yours make all efforts truly worthwhile.

We place great value on your custom, and your patronage are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I had to be in Nairobi again and since there were lot's of conferences for VUOP's everywhere in town, my favourite hotels like Fairview and Serena were unavailable, so a friend who had a "corporate" rate booked me here. Grossly overpriced at usd 235 a night breakfast included (that is one of the reason they nickname it Nairobbery), but I was given a pool room, which are wooden chalets (including a creeking floor) with direct pool access, your own kind of terrace .... not bad I must say. And yes the hotel was started up in 1969 so it is old indeed and it should be closed down for a few years to renovate it completely, but what do you do if you can keep filling it up at these rates all the times ? Just keep on milking while it can .... Good buffet breakfast and helpfull efficient staff all over the place. Centrally in town so a nightmare for your guests who want to come and visit you at the hotel ....

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 10 March 2011
We thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Our main aim being guest satisfaction and quality delivery, we do take our guests and their well being very seriously and always hope to meet their expectations.

We have noted your comment regarding the status of our pool rooms, and I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay. We concur with you that the hotel is old and as such, I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, and the bulk of the issues raised are to be part of this.

Regarding our rates, we appreciate you critical but constructive feedback and this will go along way to improve our standards and service delivery to our guests.

Likewise, we are glad to note that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and great hospitality from our team members. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 February 2011

My dad and I have stayed here in 2008 and 2010, We originally booked this hotel because with a hilton you know the quality you are getting. We love it here. at first the security is a bit concerning (I'm not actually sure if the metal detector actually works. sometimes I have to take my purse off....other times I can leave it on. The staff are very helpful. each time we were upgraded to a bigger room (which happened to be the dame room each time), the room was lovely. nice and big and we had a nice view of downtown. the bathroom looked recently reno-ed. admittedly, the rooms were a little bit dated....but come on...it is a 3rd world country, so what do you expect? the beds were nice and soft. and we could not hear any street noise from our room. the buffer down at the traveller's resaurant is a bit epensive, but it is not any more expensive than any other hilton out there. and with the amount of selection you get it really isn't that bad. I found the pool area to be really beautiful and relaxing.
really my dad and I love it here....we use it as our last hurrah of luxury before we go spend several weeks volunteering in local villages.
I really suggest the nairobi hilton if it is your first time in Kenya. :)

• Stayed May 2010
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 8 March 2011
It was a pleasure hosting you at the Hilton Nairobi, and we thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us.

We have noted your comment with regards of our hotel security and wish to confirm to you that we have checked and set our detector in such manner that it gives our security personnel the information we are looking for. I would like to convey my sincere thanks to you for bringing your experience to our attention as it is our highest aim to make sure highest security levels are always maintained.

Furthermore, we are very glad indeed to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience; your gratitude to our team members hospitality and positive comments on the overview of the property make all our efforts truly worthwhile and it was my upmost pleasure to share your kind comments with all our team members.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth, for which we are most grateful. Therefore we very much look forward welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 15 February 2011

We had read previous reviews that said that the Hilton in Nairobi is dated. It is still a wonderful hotel and it seemed anything but dated. I would recommend in highly.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
I would like to thank you for your recent stay at the Hilton Nairobi and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

We have noted your comment with regards of the previous reviews that our hotel is dated and in need for refurbishment. We concur with our guest views and as such; I am pleased to advise that we are in the progress of a master plan renovation preparation, that will see a complete make-over of the Hotel in time to come.

We are also glad to note that you were satisfied with your overall experience and that you find our hotel a wonderful place to be. Believe me, it is comments such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your continued patronage and comments are a vital part of our growth. And for that, we are most grateful and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Kind regards,

Johannesburg
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Great location , as long as you NEVER leave the hotel, I found it way too hot, mosquito heaven and tense. The hotel provided a good base and even though housekeeping was not up to standard the manager upgraded my room on my next trip at no charge.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 11 February 2011
We have noted your comment that our rooms were a mosquito heaven and that housekeeping was substandard. I am very sorry indeed that we have not been able to meet your expectation during your recent stay; I have shared your comment with our Executive housekeeper to reiterate the importance of periodical fumigation as to minimize the presence of mosquitoes and the surrounding areas. Likewise, ongoing training of our housekeeping team members on housekeeping techniques for quality output has been discussed.

Nevertheless, we are glad to note that you were satisfied with the fact that our Front Office manager agreed to upgrade you at no charge during your recent stay. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Martin Voskamp
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Some of the comments about the Nairobi Hilton are a little unfair. I stay there regularly and while it can be grossly overpriced, good management and excellent staff make up for an ugly and dated building. Some of the rooms are really nice (if rather threadbare), I've had none of the problems other guests describe, it has generally good vibes, the pool area feels particularly private and relaxing (unlike the InterContinental) and its buffets are amongst the best in Nairobi. It also has a nice little coffee shop and the executive lounge is OK too. It's true that at night - and even by day - the area is unsafe but that's unfortunately true anywhere in downtown Nairobi. There are newer, glossier hotels there but the Hilton is well-managed and unfailingly works. However I do have my doubts about security. There is a metal detector at the entrance through which guests and visitors are supposed to pass but this seems to be a rather random process. Because the hotel appears to be a symbol of America (though in fact it isn't) there's a risk of terrorism plus the endemic Kenyan risk of violent crime. There have already been incidents, or so I understand from owners of shops adjoining the hotel. So I wish the lobby area was a little better protected, though I do realise that a hotel can't be an army encampment.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 21 January 2011
We have noted your positive comments with delight and highly appreciate your time taken to share your valuable feedback with us. It will be my pleasure to personally share your comments with our team members. Believe me, it is ratings such as yours that make all efforts truly worthwhile.

Your comments about our security levels at the main entrance have been shared and discussed immediately with our Chief Security Officer to ensure that our security standards remain on highest levels. Please rest assured that we have reinforced our security efforts in and around the hotel and that security of our guests and team members remains our top priority.

Once more, let me convey my sincere thanks to you for you positive and constructive feedback, which will ensure to constantly improve our services.

We all look very much forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future again.

In the meantime, if I can be of any assistance for you, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I think this property has seen better days. The room, furniture and furnishings are all outdated. Even if the room may be properly cleaned, I felt like I'm in a dingy place and not a 5 or 4-star hotel.

Even the food leaves much to be desired. On my second night, I ordered Carbonara which came after 20 mins or so. It looked ok but when I was about to put a forkful in my mouth, I was suddenly turned off by a nasty smell coming from the food I was about to eat and realized that it was the ham (pork). I called room service to take it away since I could not eat it and was offered a replacement of anything on the menu. I didn't want the same experience so stayed off their meat offerings and instead ordered fish and chips. However, by the time my food arrived, I have already lost my appetite and for almost 5 days consumed only salads for dinner.

Internet service is just as terrible. It is probably the slowest and disconnects every half hour. There was also a couple of power fluctuations while our conference was running. A guest who was staying at the hotel was complaining that the lift plummeted a few floors down while the power outage occurred and appeared really scared.

It is a shame that the hotel is in such bad condition because some of the hotel staff were really outstanding and helpful like Ogagi the security assigned to assist us at the conference. I think to be fair, security is one of the good points of this property and it's loyal staff who has to face the complaints of guests like myself on a daily basis.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Bengjork
hiltonnairobi, Manager at Hilton Nairobi, responded to this review, 7 January 2011
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your previous stay at the Hilton Nairobi.

We have noted your comment on the quality of our room's furnishings, which clearly indicates that we did not meet your expectations. However we appreciate your feedback and please note that a master plan is underway to fully renovate our hotel.

With reference to the food that was served to you kindly receive our profound apologies and please be informed that I have personally taken up the issue with the Food and Beverage Manager and Executive Chef for corrective measures to ensure that this does not re-occur in the future.

We have also noted your remarks on internet speed and regret that this did not meet with your expectations. We have recently installed the high speed internet but this still does not match the speed in other parts of the world. Unfortunately we mainly rely on a service provider and we experience slow service especially at peak times of the day.

Regarding power failure during your stay, please note that we regret the circumstances that we had to experience a technical problem with the power transformation cables of the Kenya Power & Lighting Company which affected our premises and also caused technical problems on the lifts. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Nevertheless, we appreciate your positive comments regarding the hospitality of our security personnel which we have shared with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Nairobi and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future.

Director of Operations

Travellers are raving about these Nairobi hotels