Nairobi Serena Hotel
US$120
US$78
US$167
Hotwire.com
All reviewsleading hotels of the worldroom servicevery nice hotelturn down servicelong flightbreakfast buffetan oasisbusy cityrooms are comfortablegift shopsafari tripbusiness hotelmasai maramaghrebsecurityafricagym
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This hotel I found exquisite and warm. from the friendly well informed staff to the magical food. The Maisha spar was out of this world. It was perfect

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jackie N
Reviewed 26 April 2012

OK - so it's not upgraded like their properties in Kigali or in Kampala, but the Nairobi Serena still has some of that old Kenya magic. Rooms are perfectly acceptable. The gym is solid. Food choices are fine and the location is tough to beat. When the right prices can be had, it's a solid contender though over the years I've stayed as much there as the Fairview which feels upgraded, better value, and has better food selection.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Jayinkigali
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A great place as for a business hotel, meetings - plus the relax time with very good restaurant, nice pool and bar. Very high price - but still great value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I attended a small conference hosted at the Nairobi Serena Hotel in Nairobi, Kenya at the end of March 2012.

My family of four accompanied me on the trip (husband, wife and two girls aged 7 and 3).

We stayed Sunday through Wednesday.

LOCATION

The hotel is located in the heart of Nairobi in a very nice area. The Crowne Plaza is also a very nice hotel in the same area. The Country Lodge is also in the same area, although it is not as nice a hotel as the other two (although the grounds are lovely).

RESERVATION / REGISTRATION

I did not have to make a reservation, as this was taken care of by the conference hosts.

The reception by the doormen was excellent. Very friendly. They were very helpful

Checking in took a little bit of time, but nothing extraordinary.

My family of four (2 adults and 2 small children under 10 years of age) stayed in one room with a king bed. Hotels in Africa are notorious for charging for more than two occupants.

A Passport was required at check-in.

The bellman was prompt.

All staff wear uniforms or are easily identifiable.

PROPERTY

The property consists of a main building with guest rooms, two or three restaurants, a swimming pool and conference facilities.

The property is well-used, but also well-maintained.

It is lovely to walk around the property.

The swimming pool is large and well-maintained.

ROOMS

Our rooms was equipped with a king-sized bed (two beds put together - you can slide in-between them), a television set with limited channels, a table with 2 chairs. The bathroom was more than adequate.

Guest rooms are air conditioned. The air conditioning works well, but not amazingly.

No pests were noticed indoors.

I think there was an iron and board in the room. I can't remember.

MAINTENANCE

Everything was in working order.

The refrigerator was not especially cold.

RESTAURANT

The food is a little pricey, but not bad at all.

One of the restaurants does not allow children, so we did not eat there. The other restaurant was extremely child-friendly and helpful. My children loved eating breakfast there.

The poolside service is also good.

INTERNET

I think internet was free and generally available throughout the hotel.

SERVICE

The Serena has WONDERFUL service. Most of the staff knew my children by name.

CONFERENCE FACILITIES

The Conference facilities were adequate.

CONCLUSION

The Serena Nairobi Hotel is very nice; we loved our stay there. It is pricey, but definitely worth it if you don't mind spending the money. If you want somewhere with nice rooms, and less expensive, although not as many amenities, the Crowne Plaza is also a good choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Kevin A
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This hotel has to be in my top 3 in Africa. I have stayed in this hotel three to four times a year for the last four years. Every visit ensures a lasting impression. From the check- in, to the rooms an air of excellence in always to be expected. Rooms are spacious, huge beds, bathroom are nice. I do a lot of in room dining in order to catch up with my work. The menu is outstanding and the care taken with service is just fabulous. 10 out of 10 from me.

Room Tip: Some of the views of the city are not great but hey thats no biggie.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business