“Even better”

Fairmont The Norfolk
Ranked #12 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here for one night last month for the second time, first visit was in August 2012 and for one night as well, while waiting for safari flight to the Mara. This time, it was even better, got a better room being a member in the president's club and complementary internet connection, hotel staff are all super friendly, enjoyed the in-room dinning as well and for the second time! loved the breakfast also in the morning , plenty of choices. Check-in and check-out was also very smooth. Always first choice if I ever come back to Nairobi and had to spend a night or two there....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mohammed A
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Malnaser,

Thank you for your great feedback and we are glad you chose us. We look forward to continue making your stays in Nairobi memorable.

Richard

Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is great property. We stayed her prior to our Safari with Micato and after the Safari. What a great place to stay after our 18+ hours of travel from the US. The room was very comfortable - great bed. The breakfast buffet was outstanding. After 14 days in the bush - it was a great place to come back to to freshen up - have a great meal before heading back to the US. Highly recommend staying here when you are in Nairobi.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1550Burke

Dear Burke S,

Thank you for staying with us before and after your Safari, we are glad you had a wonderful time on both stays.

We appreciate and are grateful for the encouraging feedback as we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We only spent a little while here as we were off to go on safaris but what little time we spent we certainly felt the Fairmount Polish. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff was most helpful and kind and Patrick went out f his way for us. Kenyan hospitality at its best!

Room Tip: Allow a lot of time to get from Nairobi airport to the hotel and vice versa. Traffic is a nightmare!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank belleg47

Dear belleg47,

A big thank you for this great review!

We will make sure to pass all your comments to our team and are already looking forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night after my long flight. Very beautiful hotel, the service and mood was like that if the 30's. Everything you could ask for. My only regret is that I get not get to stay longer. The grounds breath taking. Staff top knotch.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank RebelMuse
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I should have posted this earlier. The rooms are clean and neat. The dinning and food great. I loved that I had a coffee french press in my room. And the coffee always tasted great. The ambiance is amazing. Staying there is pricey, but definitely worth it. Every time I went for breakfast, I was greeted by name, I travel quite some and I have not got that kind of treatment anywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ruth A
Reviewed 18 January 2014

After a 5 week overland trip I was looking forward to a touch of luxury and this hotel was our splurge!
The room was clean and cool which was a welcome relief from the heat of Nairobi but it was really a business room, with a large desk and multiple line phone. I was disappointed that it had little privacy and no outlook - a function room of sorts looked directly into the room necessitating keeping the curtains drawn. It was not the colonial heritage hotel I had hoped for I could have been anywhere. The pool was a long way away from the room and wasnt anything to write about, so I won't. The cocktail bar had little ambience and the whole place was a letdown. With its history I was expecting a hotel along the lines of The Victoria Falls or the Bangkok Oriental. Not even close.
My main gripe is with housekeeping, however. I requested and was pleased to get a late checkout of noon. Great I thought.. breakfast in bed, a late snooze,a long shower and I'd be rested up for the long trip home to Australia. Not to be..I had a nice breakfast then ... Knock on the door 30 mins later to pick up the tray...10mins later "can we clean the room" (even though I'm checking out!) 15mins later " can we check the mini bar" , then 2 maintenance men to measure the bathroom then a second minibar request, the latter two after a do not disturb sign was put on the door so I could have a shower in peace.
My advice would be to look around and not waste your money here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Richard K, General Manager at Fairmont The Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Janelle M,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you and we are pleased to hear that our clean rooms and breakfast exceeded your expectations.

We have noted the issue of interruption by our colleagues during your short stay and not meeting your needs, this has been addressed to my team and we will ensure that this type of incident does not re-occur in the future.

Your review has been constructive and candid to improving and enhancing our guest experience at Fairmont The Norfolk.

We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

The Norfolk has certainly seen better days. Colonial charm has been replaced by bland tasteless decor in the common areas. We had booked a duplex suite which was tired, had a dirty shower, and were kept awake by the combination of a noisy air conditioner and a big generator or similar machine outside the room. On the plus side the staff were extremely helpful but even so we decided to stay elsewhere on our return leg through Nairobi.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TravelGuruMoscow,

Thank you for your review.

It was our pleasure to host you at Fairmont The Norfolk. We are glad that you noted our excellent service.

We have noted all the concerns you raised for our corrective action.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Warm regards,