“Very disappointed”

Ranked #4 of 162 Hotels in Nairobi
Padstow, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was my first visit to Kenya, so my partner booked us into The Fairview as a treat, to relax and unwind at the beginning of our holiday. We are not wealthy, so he booked a cheaper room - still nearly £200 per night, booked through tripadviser. Go direct to the hotel, if you must stay here, it was considerably cheaper.
Astounded, that a hotel of this quality and price did not have air conditioning as standard. A grotty fan, that was very noisy.
The room was adequate, the bathroom large, but dated, grubby.
No fridge, although they did provide a couple of bottles of water, (we had to ask for them on our arrival as they were missing). Hence, the water was warm, no way of keeping it cool.
We arrived early on first morning, direct from airport and very long flight. They were very accommodating, got our room ready as soon as possible. So we asked about having breakfast - they showed us in to breakfast room. On first appearance it looked like an amazing spread! But the cooked stuff was kept in hot containers, so eggs were like rubber and bacon sat in its own fat, getting harder and harder. Not that appetising. We were then charged £28 + for the breakfast.
Security was very good, and we were grateful for this.
The staff, were mostly friendly and helpful, however, there was one older waiter who gave the distinct impression that us asking for a lager and a vodka and orange was far too much trouble! He was always like this when we came across him in the four days we stayed.
I would have liked to have spent some time by the swimming pool - there were numerous tables and chairs positioned around the small pool, these were used by business people for lunches, sat in their suits and ties - not a very enticing place to strip off to your bikini and relax and swim - I tried it once, but felt I had to wait until they had all gone before I was comfortable having a dip.
I wouldn't rush back here for the extortionate price - niceish hotel - but needs some tlc and better management.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Libby M
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thanks for your feedback and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us.

It is a pity you did not book direct. Our rate is only £138 so the travel agent you used made quite a profit!

We are rolling out air-conditioning in all rooms. However, despite not offering aircon in economy double rooms (your choice of room), we believe £138 is great value. Our higher end rooms do offer air con so we will of course upgrade for free in future.

Our breakfast offering is known for its breadth and its freshness. Our eggs are cooked to order. We did offer scrambled eggs via a buffet-offering but we no longer offer this. Please note that breakfast is part of our room rate and you were charged as you arrived before check-in. Please get in touch with us directly as I would like to refund the breakfast charge.

Your point on swimming is well noted. We will think through alternatives to address this.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Regards,
Daniel | Joint Managing Director | Fairview Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I love this hotel and it has become our favorite place to stay. The restaurants are great with a wide selection of cuisine. The service was excellent and the gardens are quiet and beautiful. Perfect for business meetings or just quiet reflection.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool - 90 was great.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Humalk
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014

Fairview has to be my favorite hotel in the world. I went there with my friend (only two of us) when we were both 16, and the hotel gave us extreme care. Fairview hosted an incredibly friendly, safe and relax atmosphere, resulting in a harmonious relation between guests which hitherto I have not found in any other hotel yet. Fairview is also said to have the best sushi bar in East Africa, according to TIME. It's just too difficult to write a review for a hotel I love so much so I would just stop here (damn it!)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Min M
Padstow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked online on 1st December for three economy double night's bed and breakfast in early January 2014. I paid the cheapest price on Tripadvisor which was £740 with Olotel. When I got to the hotel they had printed in their fixed price tariff on the reception desk - £133 per night which is £400. I want a refund of £340 but can't speak to either Olotel or Tripadvisor because they have no "contact us" online facility.
Add to this - the breakfast was very poor quality. e.g. Even when you ignore their bullet like poached eggs sitting in the heated trays and ask for fresh-cooked there is no-one in the server who understands what a soft yolk is. The room was very "tired" and hadn't seen any decoration or maintenance for years.
Very disappointing. Last time I stayed there it was great value. It was a most enjoyable experience. AVOID THE FAIRVIEW IN NAIROBI AND MORE IMPORTANTLY AVOID BOOKING WITH TRIPADVISOR AND OLOTEL!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve B
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here 2 nights prior to our trip to Mt. Kenya and returned for one more night at the end. The hotel is wonderful with great service, nice rooms and meals were fresh and had varieties to choose from. We stayed in First Class rooms which were quite comfortable.

The hotel's grounds are beautiful and the setting cool in a countryside style. It is quite secure with friendly security checks. Breakfast here was tasty. The staff were quite helpful, informed and ready to help when called upon.

I recommend the hotel to others visiting Nairobi.

Room Tip: First class rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed at the Fairview for 4 nights in Feb 2014, after a colleague recommended it to me. It is a beautiful, colonial-style property which is far removed from the soulless international chains found in most cities. I found the Fairview to be very comfortable, extremely quiet after 10pm, and easy to get a really peaceful night's sleep in. I ate in the main restaurant (breakfast), the poolside Pwani (dinner, twice), and the garden cafe (lunch), and the food and beverage service was great. Wireless connection in the hotel was perfect. Without exception, the hotel staff were very friendly and showed great dedication to customer service. I'd highly recommend the Fairview and would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Staffordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed at the fairview hotel at the end of our family holiday trip to Kenya in January 2014. We were so excited to be staying at the hotel and read many fantastic reviews. I paid in full months in advance for all seven of us to stay in first class rooms for one night before returning to the UK.

The hotel is very beautiful to look at with lots of space to go and relax and the pool area is lovely. The rooms leave a lot to be desired. The staff in general are good but the reception team are limited at best. If you have a simple check in I am sure they can handle that but anything above that, you need to speak to management.

Upon arrival at the hotel we were informed by the reception person that our rooms were not available because another group hadn't checked out of our rooms as planned and we had rooms reserved at another hotel instead! This was at 1930hrs after a flight into Nairobi. We were so unhappy since our rooms had been reserved and paid for months in advance.

The reception staff were less than helpful and were not willing to help to resolve the situation of my group, which is why we had to call on the manager who in all fairness did try hard to help out as much as she could. It took over an hour (after asking for the manager) to get all of us rooms for the night but as a compromise we had to down grade 4 of the rooms and upgrade one of the rooms.

This was a holiday of a lifetime and we had a fantastic time up to this point -it was just a shame that the final hotel was such a complete let down.

The down graded rooms had the feel of a low budget hotel back in the UK and my room was full of mosquitos which kept me awake most of the night.

My parents had the upgrade and although it was nice they were concerned about the security of the room as upon returning from breakfast they had four workers in the room carrying out maintenance without prior warning.

My sister and her partner had to go down to reception and change rooms once again because they had been put into a twin room….. so by dinner time it was not the best start to the evening.

We were told that as a gesture of good will that they were going to seat us at the pool side restaurant for a complimentary meal which was great but when we were taken to our seats we were upstairs in an empty room with no lights away from the pool. Now the staff were excellent at this point, they bent over backwards to try and get candles and lay the table for us (it was a closed off area for overflow guests with no atmosphere and nowhere near the pool). My sister went to the manager once again who then got us a table by the pool and we had to go and get our own chair from other tables which was a little awkward.

The food in all fairness was excellent and the choice options were great.

Breakfast the following morning was a buffet breakfast and very disappointing. My sister and her boyfriend had a good breakfast at 7.10am with lots of options. We arrived at 8.45am and there was hardly anything left! We asked the lady who seated us if the food was going to be restocked soon because we were happy to wait and she said just to go and ask the chef. The breakfast didn't close unit 10am but if you get there after 8.30 don't expect hot of fresh food. I stuck to cereal and room temperature milk and left quickly.

I won't ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kelly S
FairviewNairobi, Owner at Fairview Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Sincere apologies from all of us at the Fairview.

The unfortunate situation on arrival with the unexpected overbooking and the compromises you made regarding your rooms must have created a poor first impression of our service standards which is contrary to our reputation. We hope that the 20% discount on your room rate and the complimentary dinner helped to mitigate your disappointment. Your local agent was also informed about the situation and measures taken to address it. Please let us know how else we can make it up to you.

Regarding service at breakfast- Kindly can you elaborate as to what was missing from the buffet.

It was unacceptable for our maintenance team to enter your parents room before check-out as our procedure is very clear. I will ensure this does not recur.

I hope you will give us another opportunity so that we can make it up to you and show you why this was an isolated case as evidenced by our rating and feedback on TripAdvisor.

Daniel | Joint Managing Director | Fairview Hotel