“truly great experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Lusaka
“truly great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

In 1999 I went to Nairobi University for my Masters for 2 years straight and got some really good experiences of the city. However, it was only last month that I got a most excellent hospitality experience. I was on working assignment and stayed at the Fairview on Capitol Hill for about 8 days. I arrived to a setting that was surreal with lush water gardens and a most excellent, spacious room. The meals were to die for and the staff were just ‘family’! they were truly great. For me, there is no better hotel in Nairobi!!! I hope to go there again and again and again, every time I’m in the city. Bravo Fairview hotel. You’ve won one loyal customer for life!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

I usually stay at chain hotels (except for the one time I stayed at the Tribe) in Nairobi. This time I stayed at the Fairview and I am convinced that I will stay here in my future trips. I stayed here about 5 years ago and the hotel has been upgraded and enlarged, but still maintains the feel of older era hotel.

The hotel is situated a bit away from the city center, which is a positive for me. Its quiet and you can hear the birds sing in the morning. Its across from the Israeli embassy so you know its secure. Green space, old style building - overall a very nice atmosphere.

There are two physical complexes separated by gates. Although the annex is nicely furnished, I prefer to stay in the main building.

The rooms have been upgraded since my last visit. I had both the "First Class" and "Business Class" rooms and they were pretty similar. However, I did see some smaller and older Business Class rooms that did not look too inviting. First Class rooms are about $20 more per night.

I had a second floor corner room with lots of windows, flat screen TV and a king sized bed. Windows were double insulated so very quiet. Nicely furnished with old wooden floor. There is WIFI throughout the hotel, but almost un-usable due to the speed. Good sized bathroom with a tub and a shower stall. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water.

Had a meal at the pool side restaurant and the garden restaurant. Both were decent, nothing earth shattering. There are better restaurants in the city.

Overall, a very good experience and from now on plan to make it my Nairobi hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Steven Y
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2010

Stayed at the fairview during the easter holidays for three nights en-route to malindi. Hotel was very peaceful and staff were very helpfull. The three nights we spent there were pretty good, a big thumbs up.
However due to the volcanic ash incident, our flight back to London got cancelled and we did not have any second thoughts and headed to the Fairview. As we had just arrived from Malindi, we headed there. We enquired from the Receptionist if there were any rooms available. We specifically asked for a standard double as we did not know how long we would be stranded for. From her response, she made us believe there were room available, however her colleague then stepped in and told her not to sale us the standard but the deluxe room, which of course is more pricey. The conversation the two had was in swahili, a language am fluent at. To cut a long story short, we did not stay there because I felt they were trying to take advantage of a situation

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aleutian
Brookmans Park, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

We stayed at the Fairview Hotel for one night after arriving at the International Airport at 10pm and left early the next morning for our flight from Wilson Airport. Taxi transfers were organised by the hotel and were on time and reliable. We had to leave before the breakfast buffet officially opened at 6am but as they start setting up from 5am they let us have breakfast earlier, we didn't have anything cooked (they may even have provided that as well, we didn't ask) but everything else was available. Gardens looked lovely but never saw them in daylight hours, room was spacious and clean.
We booked directly with the hotel via emails which worked fine although sometimes replies to queries took longer than expected.
Would stay there again for the proximity to Wilson Airport.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank susapf
Helsingborg, Sweden
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

After reading reviews at Tripadvisor I booked this hotel believing it really was the best hotel in Nairobi. Boy, was I fooled. This hotel is okay, but far from the standard written in the reviews. I actually cancelled my five days stay and left the horel after three nights - I just had enough. This hotel is okay but I expect a little bit more from a hotel and its staff. It's the little things that other hotels would help you out with - while at the Fairview your on your own.
I'm not staying here again and would not recommend it to my friends or readers of Tripadvisor.
In Nairobi there are so much better hotels to stay at.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Andy_McFast
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

I stayed for two nights in an Economy Room. The staff was professional; the room was clean, comfortable and quiet; the restaurant food and service was good; and the grounds were a visual and auditory (waterfalls) respite for a weary traveler. My only caution: the on-site travel agency (Muthaiga Travel). I expected to pay a premium for using their services, but I also expected to get better than an off-the-street tour. I ended-up paying an exorbitant fee (12,000 KES) for what any taxi driver could have done at half the price, and was repeatedly (and correctly) told during my tour that I had benn grossly overcharged. When I returned to Muthaiga Travel, I received an apology, but no refund.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank blkatz2
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2010

Luxury hotel with personal touch, friendly staff, excellent food, clean rooms, wonderful garden

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business