“Best so far in Kenya”
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Giraffe Manor is the best I've been to in Kenya. It feels that you have been invited by a family to come over for a weekend visit. Don't expect a front desk, I've been met by the friendly Manor's manager, Tony from the car with a staff to help me with my luggage. Tony personally brief me with a bit of the history of the place, move around to see the amenities and informed on the house rules.

We booked a few hours before we came and took the only available room. It was a big family room on the new wing with 3 extra beds and a fireplace of our own, The main sitting area's fireplace will be lit before the dinner giving the guests time to socialized while the staff will help you get whatever drinks available in the open bar. At the same time, you can feed the giraffe while few warthogs are roaming around freely eating what the giraffes lefty hem to eat. You can feed the giraffes with your mouth! You'll then be guided to the main dining area where you will all be served and eat together giving you more chance to know the rest of the guest. And I must say, there are if not all interesting people you'll meet. After dinner, guests will then be asked to move back to the sitting area where you can all continue getting to know each other over tea, coffee and drinks. I've spoken and got to know few nice and funny Americans and British couples. The staff and Tony will be there till you get yourself drunk to assist and talk to you. We'll, we didn't want to torture them...we were kind enough to go back to our room early. It was an open bar, so I was tipsy even before dinner.

Breakfast is an experience that makes it all worth it...breakfast with giraffes and warthogs too. We opened our room door and right in front of us is a young giraffe waiting. It the best morning greeting. The friendly General Manager came over breakfast to say hi and talked to us to see how we are.

The main building is built in 1932 and the interior is fantastic, I was half expecting Karen Blixen to appear and greet us. It feels like "Out of Africa" set-up considering I watched the movie three days before we visited. The staff are very friendly and helpful and will let you feel at home.

We only stayed overnight and don't know the price since it was a treat I was given. I'd say one must experience this place if you ever come to Kenya even just an overnight

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank J P

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Giraffes are my favorite animal and you can't find an experience like this anywhere else.Recently, I was asked where my best customer service experience was, I told them hands down it was at the Giraffe Manor in Nairobi Kenya. However, I think what truly astounds me is how genuine the staff are in making you feel at home, they truly go above and beyond.

I have been so lucky to stay at the giraffe manor not only twice, but twice in 3 months. The first time I was by myself and the staff made me promise to bring back my husband. I kept that promise and brought him back with me in May for a final trip together while we lived in East Africa.The staff were so warm to us, remembering me from my prior trip and welcoming my husband. They expressed to us we had become like family to them. We felt they had become family to us as well and we know we will be back many many times.

The staff went out of their way during our 4 night stay to make sure we felt at home. So much so that when the bed the first night was not suitable for my husbands back they let us move rooms with no issue, to something that was more comfortable for him. I enjoyed this as it allowed me to experience another room. The first room we had was Joc's room, I had this room before in February. The second room we had I believe was Lin's room. It was beautifully appointed, the bathroom was like a spa!

One the best things is on both trips we have made some great friends from the experience, that we continue to keep in contact with!

We tell everyone about the Giraffe Manor. We can't wait for our next visit! Hopefully see you soon!

Kristin and Dan

Room Tip: You can't go wrong! Every room is beautiful. Some have better access for feeding the giraffes.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013

What a way to spend our last night in Kenya. Grand old world elegance and charm, warmth, friendliness, staffs eagerness to accommodate any whim of their guests, fabulous food (five star quality),enormous comfy rooms, large balcony's. That is all before you put into the picture the up close and personal encounters with the Giraffes. Drinks and nibbles on the front lawn feeding the giraffes, dinner in the candle only lit dining room, 6.00 am feeding two of the beauties from our 2nd story bedroom window, breakfast feeding them through the window as well as ourselves. Can't forget the warthogs. This experience truly is worth every penny. A magical end to a trip of a lifetime, to Giles and all the staff thank-you.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Betty room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This was our third trip to Africa and our second to Kenya. On our way to various safari camps we decided to spend a day at Giraffe Manor. We had heard good things about it but our own experience exceeded every expectation. The place is beautiful, food is excellent and the staff is delightful. The outstanding experience, however, is the unique interaction with the giraffes as well as between them and the warthogs and the dog on the property. It is an experience that differs significantly from that in the bush. We were smiling continuously.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank humboldt
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is, quite simply, an amazing place. Apart from the unique attraction of the resident giraffes and warthogs in the grounds, the warmth, friendliness, helpfulness and hospitality of the management and staff are truly outstanding. The comfort of guests is absolutely their first priority and the level of service is exemplary. Nothing is too much trouble for them.
We stayed one night before going on safari, in the Karen Blixen suite. This is quite luxurious with plenty of room to sit and relax in front of a log fire. We felt quite spoiled and were looking forward to staying another night at the end of our safari before going on to enjoy a few days at a beach resort. We were, initially, disappointed to find that our second night was not to be spent in the same suite but in the Hatton-Finch suite. However, our disappointment soon turned to delight as we settled into an equally spacious and luxurious suite, also with a cosy log fire. Hot water bottles, thoughtfully placed in the huge bed, warmed it up nicely.
We enjoyed the communal dining and the excellent food. Again, the level of service during meals was exemplary and this contributed to a wonderful convivial atmosphere, reminiscent of a country house weekend with good friends.
We really cannot praise this hotel highly enough and, should we ever return to Nairobi, will definitely be staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The large, old manor house sits on a large property where a rare Giraffe has been saved. You can watch them on the property and you can walk to the sanctuary below. Early in the morning the giraffe are set free to get breakfast at the manor. What an experience to feed these tall creatures from your second story room! They stick their heads in the tall dining room windows waiting to be fed from your hands. Humorous wildebeest also roam free. Food was very good and enjoyable by candlelight. Service was excellent. My only criticism involved the furnishings. The decorator could have been better. Wifi worked in the room.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This place is truly unique. It is not a typical hotel so don't expect tv in your rooms or a pool!

We stayed 2 nights in September 2013 and are so glad we did!
The staff are among the best in the industry and are so attentive and friendly- wanted to take them home with us! This place has to be seen to believed and the memories of giraffes at breakfast will last a lifetime. Food is amazing and all inclusive. I will return!!! I stayed in Marlon's room which is a standard room, was small however beautifully appointed. Betty has its own balcony and Jock has ideal morning giraffe feeding location from the bedroom. I cant wait to visit again!

Room Tip: I stayed in Marlon's room which is a standard room, was small however beautifully appointed. Bet...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family