“Don't go to Giraffe Manor”
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
South Bend, Indiana
“Don't go to Giraffe Manor”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Don't go to Giraffe Manor unless you want to be so spoiled that no other lodging experience can come close. I am a single female traveler and I felt as if I were their one and only guest. Not true since they were fully booked. I had concerns that I would have this experience but couldn't document my interaction with the giraffes and warthogs since I had no one with me to take photos. I was so wrong!! I think the entire staff knows how to use every camera made and are eager to take your photos. I cannot say enough great things about my stay. There was not one single time that a staff member would pass by without asking if they could do anything for me. My every wish was eagerly fulfilled. From building the most aromatic olive wood fire to bringing desert to my room, it was magical. The Manager on Duty, Tony asked why I was not smiling as big as I was the day before. I told him that I had a little nose bleed. He then proceeded to tell my driver to look out for me and not let me get too fatigued. I felt that he really cared. My only regret is that I did not leave enough tip money for the service I received. My travel agency said they paid my gratuity but whatever that would have been, it wouldn't have been enough.

Room Tip: I stayed in Kelly's room. It was set up with three beds. The single that I requested was taken...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank 981KarenT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Such a magical place, so special and unique. Only 10 rooms, the Giraffe Manor is like staying in someone's country manor. The grounds are beautiful, with giraffes and warthogs roaming freely. They even get "up close and personal" to the guests at breakfast time each day. If you visit you'll know what I mean. The staff couldn't be more accommodating and the food is excellent. There's wifi throughout. The Giraffe Center, adjacent to the Manor, is free to enter when a guest of the Manor. Located in Karen, far from the pollution and congestion of Nairobi's city center, it's also near several places of interest like the Karen Blixen Museum, Kazuri Bead Factory, Daphne Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage, and Matbronze. Don't go for less than two nights or you'll never forgive yourself!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank debbierich
melbourne
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Unfortunately our time at giraffe manor was too short, we had one night at the beginning of our holiday, unfortunately we didn't arrive until 5.30pm the traffic from Nairobi airport was crazy and had to leave at 6.30am for Wilson airport, our flight was bought forward.

Luckily we saw the giraffes at both sunset and sunrise, amazing experience to have your breakfast with a giraffe!

The room was great, we had jocks room overlooking the front of the house.

Food was good in a beautiful candlelit dinning room.

Overall we wish we could have had another night to truly enjoyed the place to the full

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank QueenGucci
Moshi, Tanzania
Reviewed 1 November 2013

My entire Africa trip was based around my husband's wish to stay at Giraffe Manor. It is difficult to get in to, but Rose at Africarosetravel secured us one of the 10 rooms. We stayed in Daisy room ( all named after giraffes that lived in the grounds ) with it's enormous 4 poster bed and balcony.We were spoilt as to whether to feed Edd the giraffe from the balcony, take kisses from Stacey downstairs in the conservatory or run the gauntlet of the greedy warthogs on the lawn who ended up chewing my boots. It was a magical experience to be so close to these gentle creatures.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROWENAH123
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

As a giraffe lover what could be more amazing but to live with them! Fantastic place, people, service but most of all the giraffes. This was a holiday of a lifetime couldn't have asked for more. We also visited the elephant sanctuary whilst we were staying at Giraffe Manor another amazing experience. Just sorry the holiday had to come to an end. ( we actually didn't visit in August 2013 but your calendar didn't go back six years which is when we actually visited!)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GillColley
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2013

After 15 days of roughing it on safari, we decided on a one night stay at Giraffe Manor to cap off our visit to Kenya. We could not have made a better choice for winding down at the end of our trip. From start to finish, Giraffe Manor was perfection.

The staff knew us by name and were attentive without being intrusive. The meals were fantastic, the cocktails amazing. The rooms were wonderfully colonial, and the main lounge area was a fantastic place to sit and discuss our adventures. A driver was on hand for any of our needs, and the hotel managers were super helpful in organising any activities we wanted to do.

I ended up feeling so at home, I left my laptop in the lounge area, and hours later when I realised, it was waiting for me in the same place I left it. I cannot more highly recommend a stay at Giraffe Manor, even without the giraffes its a wonderful place to stay, but include the giraffes in the equation and you have a truly magical experience that is not to be missed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank CheekyBeagle
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Everything you've heard is true. The giraffes, the grounds, the manor itself, the food and hospitality, were all wonderful. Even the wart hogs were welcomed us. The location was perfect for visiting the Elephant Sanctuary, Kazuri Bead Factory and Karen Blixen's house.

Room Tip: Stay in the front room so you can feed the giraffes from your window in the morning.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends