“Magic”
Review of Giraffe Manor

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Giraffe Manor
Reviewed 22 July 2014

1 night stop over in Giraffe Manor before heading off for 2 weeks safari and beaches with the family.
We decided to cut short a few items from the days agenda to get here mid afternoon and timed it perfectly following the mornings visit to Karen Blixen's house and David Sheldrick's elephant orphanage in the morning.
we arrived at 3pm, and after a quick and brief tour of the manor and safety briefing (the giraffes are, well giraffes) were shown to our room. we stayed in the blixen suite, a nice double bed, and 2 singles upstairs. huge bathroom and open fireplace.
From this point on, the staff brought us coffee, served cake in the afternoon as the giraffes came up at 5pm, where the children and us fed, stroked and even hugged the Rothschild Giraffe on the lawn.
A quick freshen up and we were served an amazing dinner of quails eggs, fish and chocolate mouse, with great wines and beers part of the all inclusive deal.
Off to bed where the staff had lit our fire in the room, and ready for the highlight....Morning breakfast with the giraffe....the pictures really say it all, as shortly after a truly great breafast with all the trimmings the giraffe will join you by poking their heads through the windows to the breakfast room for their turn.
truly magical for children, and giraffe lovers. This is a one of a kind place that will never be forgotten.

Room Tip: The blixen suite is beautiful, however some of the other rooms will even allow you to feed the giraf...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JoeGK
TSCmanagement, Manager at Giraffe Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Thank you for posting such lovely photos and a great review of Giraffe Manor. The Giraffe certainly make it a wonderful place to stay but we're glad the service simply added to the whole experience. I will pass your comments about the delicious food on to our head chef, David Kisevu, he really prides himself on the menus here. Giraffe Manor, along with all our other properties, strives to be family friendly so it is good to hear that your children also had a fantastic time. If you or your children would like to keep up to date with Lynn, Helen, Walter & Co we post regular photos of all the Giraffe and Warthogs on Facebook and Instagram simply search for "Giraffe Manor".

Giraffe Manor - The Safari Collection

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Giraffe Manor is an impressive place. Beautiful grounds and even more gracious wait staff. I will be completely honest;my experience was not as positive as 99% of all other reviews. This was due to the management team, not the kind and welcoming wait staff. I really enjoy writing positive reviews, however my experience should not go unsaid.

My wife and I heard of Giraffe Manor because my mom raved about the place. We decided to have lunch there on our way back from a 7 day honeymoon safari across Kenya. Unfortunately, there was a mix up with our lunch reservations. Instead of taking the high road and opening their lovely property to us. They merely "allowed" us to have lunch and thought it important to let us know they don't accept people "like us" just off the street of Nairobi. They said, "you can imagine if word got out... that we just accept anyone". Wow!? Really? Even after those comments, we still agreed to pay $75 a plate for lunch!

15 minutes into our lunch, the assistant manager came to our table. This would begin a 45 minute hiatus away from the very reason I came to Giraffe Manor (to have a fun lunch!). I was taken away from our table because the assistant manager had completely demeaned and disrespected our guide. She then lied to me that she had not said anything hurtful... which she would later admit that she had been inappropriate. Then lied to me again when I asked her to apologize for her actions... and she didn't have the guts to admit she was in the wrong.

Treating people with respect no matter who you are or where your from seemed to be a foreign concept to this elitist group of managers. Take my review for what its worth. Just know going into to this beautiful place that you may experience or see this behavior from certain individuals that they are better than others because of where the property is located. Bad way to live life.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
26  Thank Bryan M
TSCmanagement, Manager at Giraffe Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at Giraffe Manor. We realise that on this occasion there may have been some confusion with your lunch booking which led to a break down in the service. Giraffe Manor prides itself on customer satisfaction so there is no excuse for what occurred. To ensure this does not happen again we have met with the whole team and revisited service standards, language and etiquette along with lunch reservation procedures. Again I offer our sincere apologies and only hope we have learnt from this incident. - Giraffe Manor Management

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is simply an extremely endearing and enchanting experience. In the evening you get to feed the giraffes outside the main door area. Staff guide you and are usually very keen to ensure you get nice pictures and experiences down to how to get a pic of the giraffe "kissing" you as you hold a food pellet in your mouth and they lick it off you! (ok the saliva is sticky but it goes away quite quickly).We got to meet the giraffe our room was named after too.

Food is really good, so dinner with other guests in the manor is like a hotel version of bush TV. We had really wonderful conversations with other travelers.

In the morning is the highlight, breakfast with the giraffes sticking their heads in! I always wondered why they won't eat the food off our plates they can certainly reach it. But they don't...

The staff are very helpful and engaging but not intrusive. You could have dinner in your room if you choose and let them know but seriously... chatting with other travelers is such a wonderful thing!

And they made us sandwiches when we arrived because we'd not had lunch (it was already 3.30 pm) because of the transit we had. Everything is included so we weren't charged extra for that. And laundry is included here too.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the main house (there is an annex added later which looks and feels the same). B...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank D C
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I watched a TV programme in black & white when I was little and there was a British family having breakfast with giraffes. Finally I found this place and planned the trip to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Everything was perfect at the Manor, the giraffes, the warthogs, the staff, the rooms, the food, the wine and the warm and friendly atmosphere! We went on to visit the other properties of the same company (The Safari Collection): Sasaab at Samburu, Solio Lodge at Solio and Sala's at Masai Mara and they were all great, each special and unique in its own way!

Room Tip: We had Kelly's Room, spacious with a fireplace on the upper floor of the New Wing with giraffes...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JohnChua1991
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The place is beautiful, the food excellent, the staff lovely and accommodating, and with all of that it could be an ordinary excellent boutique hotel, but the star attraction is the giraffes with the wart hogs playing a supporting role. We were here as a family of ten with five children who were totally captivated, as were we adults. My highest recommendation for travelers of all ages.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank vpoleshuck
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here with my mum in the new wing. Both our rooms were beautiful - I loved my big bath tub, fireplace and huge bed. Mum's room was a totally different design but equally sweet. Perfect! The main hotel is wonderful - we enjoyed a leisurely afternoon tea and then went to David Sheldrick's to put the ellies to sleep. Make sure you use the private and free transport - it is included but I noticed that they don't shout this from the roof tops. The staff are all helpful and kind. Supper is eaten as a group which I enjoyed but you can eat separately should you wish. The food was excellent and in a different league to the usual slop served in Kenyan hotels. You are given a menu and all drinks are included. Breakfast with the giraffes is special and memorable. This is a super hotel for a special treat and it's extremely enjoyable. Try and arrive as early as you can to get the most out of it. The staff will do anything to assist, e.g I had a pot of hot chocolate and some carrot cake sent to my room at midnight. Wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank goodthickskirt
Reviewed 6 July 2014

The manor itself is beautiful the decorating is superb kind of old world but extremely comfortable. Upon arrival we were greeted by the manager Tony who is very passionate about the place. The staff are incredibly friendly. (Thanks George). George took us shopping and to the bank as well as several great sights around the suburb of Karen. He was a wealth of knowledge & his quiet calm manner was very reassuring. Although it was hard to single one person out, they were all too kind & ready to assist with anything. We stayed in the Karen Blixen Suite which was beautiful. & spacious. The food was not my highlight as I prefer slightly plainer meals (there were lots of sauces etc). However if you aren't fond of something the kitchen are insanely quick at whipping up something more to your liking. Of course the reason your here is to meet the fabulous giraffes. We had so much fun at breakfast feeding them, afternoon tea time they would be around for a kiss & at various times of the day they may just pop their heads in your room for a snack. Too cute. Fell in love.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family