“Old World Hotel, Great Service!”
Review of Sarova Stanley

Sarova Stanley
Ranked #6 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I did not know what to expect as our colleague locally booked the hotel. This really is "old world" hotel with a huge history but everything else is new world! The service was great, from the reception staff, the restaurant staff, bar waiters and the security guards on every floor. The rooms do vary in size and I think I had one of the standard rooms which was more than adequate with all the facilities you could need, very clean and good furniture. A great touch of a full fruit bowl in the room as well. The gym is very well equipped, if a little cramped, but it is good. The pool area with a restaurant/bar is great. The Thai restaurant served some of the best Thai food I have had in a long time and the best is the old fashioned bar area, great and very well done. The original staircase through the centre of the hotel reminds you of the hotel's history.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear ShanksPony11,

Thank for your your feedback and the five star rating.

We are glad that your colleague recommend the Sarova Stanley and we exceeded your expectation with great service. We appreciate your comments on our heritage, history, team hospitality and professionalism, in-room amenities, fitness facilities and all our dining options, especially the Thai Chi restaurant with its authentic Thai cuisine.

Thank you for sharing the experience through pictures.

David Gachuru.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,189)

Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was my first stay at the Sarova Stanley and from the time I arrived for a 3 day stay to the time I left all the staff I came into contact with were very polite and professional. I would like to single out Vera Moraa the reservations officer who dealt with our initial enquiry and even personally greeted us on arrival. Great service and I will definitely be rebooking at the "Stanley" for my next visit.

Dear RichardCShute,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your comments on our great service, hospitality and for the special mention of our reservation team member who exceeded your expectations. We are glad that your 3 day visit was memorable and refreshing.

We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I first stayed at the Sarova Stanley in July 2012 on the recommendation of a friend based in Nairobi. The stay was as pleasant as could be expected of a 5 star hotel. My second visit earlier this year was almost marred by an incident in which I felt that an employee had disrespected me. At the same time, I was experiencing suboptimal internet connectivity in my room.

A change of room did not improve the situation. I took these up with the management and was quite surprised at the speed with which the management team led by the General Manager, Mr David Gachuru swung into action. To their credit they not only apologized unconditionally but also took concrete steps to make things better. They provided a working alternative internet access and took measures to ensure that such acts of disrespect were not repeated.

In June 2013, I was on my way to Nairobi. I sent an email that morning as I left for the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos – informing Mr Gachuru I would be in Nairobi that night.

I had already been booked into another hotel for the next day. I had not made any booking for where I would stay for the night. My plan was to take an airport taxi and go to a number of hotels depending on what options the driver knew.

That all changed when I got to Sarova Hotel group office at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. When the personnel saw me, they called up the hotel and “demanded” persuasively that I must spend at least that night at the hotel. I was offered a great discount and given a free ride in the limousine to the airport. What a way to enter town!

At the Stanley it was as if everyone was expecting me. I was given a royal welcome and led to my room where I yet had another surprise – my room had been upgraded at no extra cost.
I eventually stayed in the Stanley for 5 nights – 3 of which were complimentary (thanks to the management team!). I even got a little note of appreciation when it was time to check out.

The Stanley turned a series of potentially negative experiences into an opportunity to look inwards and improve. They have demonstrated that organisations in Africa understand the changes they would have to make in order to stay competitive. Make no mistake, it would not be an easy task to maintain the level of consistency customers like me expect and demand. There is still room for growth and improvement. I am okay that at least they are giving it a try...offering some refreshing African hospitality in the process.

My last thought of course goes to Mr Gachuru again for working hard to improve the service at the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear digitaldoctor,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this amazing review after your recent stay with us.

We are grateful that you gave us another chance to host you and make right our previous gaps in service. It is an honor that we were able to provide you with a superior and memorable stay. Our guests are the center of everything we do. As a team, we strive to provide unparalleled experiences and special moments to all our guests.

Once again, thank you again for giving us the opportunity to host you. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

overall nice services, old renovated architecturev& style, very well positioned down town, parking seems to be the challenge; deserves its position of the most known/appreciated hotel resort in kenya...

• Stayed: January 2014
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Five Star review.

It is very gratifying to hear such great feedback . We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations overall. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your wonderful comments about the service, amenities and hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Well, we thought it was nice at $192 USD per online, but when they wanted a bump to $275 we moved a block over to the Hilton. Sarova had nicely finished and large rooms, the breakfast was good with plenty of choices though the coffee could not be refilled without tracking someone down unbefitting of a five star.

Regarding the move to the Hilton, had we had the move to do over, we wouldn't pick this old, musty property with tight room space.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Gary A,

We appreciate your review.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are glad that our guest room, amenities and decor surpassed your expectations. We have shared your comments on our breakfast with the Food and Beverage team as an accolade to their efforts.

We appreciate the concern raised on the change in room rate. Our online pricing fluctuate on day of the week or demand. We hope that in your next visit, you will choose our hotel on overall experience. We have also noted the concern on refill of coffee during breakfast. We assure you that we have acted on your feedback for improvement.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

Invited 3 colleagues for a working lunch - two of us selected Chicken Tikka Masala, supposedly a house specialty. What appeared was a travesty - pre-cooked (over cooked and dry) chicken pieces with a sauce poured on top. We complained, but little note was taken.

Service was slow - beer tepid. A disappointment.

Dear Mr. RS Wooding,

Greetings and thank you for your review ; which you would agree came after your face to face meeting with our management team at the restaurant where the issue was noted and resolved.

As agreed this issue was discussed internally and following your suggestion we now offer this item as Chicken Tikka Tandoori; prepared in the tandoori oven rather than Chicken Tikka curry. We also take into consideration the consumers who prefer the earlier signature version, which continues to be popular.

As we try to balance different tastes and preferences, we assure you that we have taken your entire feedback seriously and acted on the same, as we always have and will continue to value our guest feedback.

I sincerely hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you once again at the restaurant.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We loved our stay at the Sarova Stanley. All the staff were very polite and friendly from the moment we stepped out of the taxi to the moment we left. I'd be very surprised if Nairobi has a hotel that can deliver any better than what they do at Sarova Stanley. We were there during the terrorist attack on the Westgate Mall and the staff made sure we are always safe. Internet through the building was extremely handy as we were there on business. The only small let down for me was that the spa was not mixed but overall I would still give this hotel a rating of 5 because they truly deserve it We were sad to go has we had built some friendships with many of the staff over our 10 day stay. This hotel will definitely be our first choice of hotels when we return to Nairobi later this year.

Thank you for making our first trip in Nairobi such a great experience!

Matthew & Donniece

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear MatthewandDonniece,

Thank you for your review during your last stay with us in September last year.

We are glad that you rated Sarova Stanley as five star hotel and summarized your experience as the best hotel service ever experienced. It was our pleasure to host you. Thank you for making our hotel your first choice in Nairobi.

The whole team appreciates your comments and for sharing our awards on this media.

We look forward to your return visit.