“Excellent Customer Service”

Ranked #7 of 162 Hotels in Nairobi
calif
“Excellent Customer Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Originally checked into room 233. View of a 5 story wall. Yuk. Long story short transferred to 7th floor. Great room with a view and above the city noise. The staff of this hotel were the best feature although the rooms were excellent also. It is right downtown. Would go back again anytime. Note: I would recommend upper floor rooms. Beds are a little on the hard side.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper floors
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings and thank you for your review.

We are glad that we were able to meet your need for a room with a view of the city above the city's buzz. We appreciate the kind words on our room comfort, team's customer service and the convenient location.

The hotel is in the process of soft refurbishment of our rooms; this includes changing to softer mattresses. We hope that in your next visit you shall feel the difference and give us your feedback.

Looking forward to hosting you.

David Gachuru.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stayed at the Sarova Stanley in February, 2014, inbound from Canada on a four-week visit to Africa and outbound on the way home. We found it to be an exceptional hotel - a safe, calm oasis with superb hospitality, excellent amenities and a very high level of customer service. The Stanley has a legendary history as the cornerstone of Nairobi from its beginnings as a railway terminal in 1902. This old-world charm has translated beautifully into contemporary Nairobi, with colonial echoes being only a nod to history and clearly not a continuation of all that is thankfully left far behind. The level of service and expertise is as high as, if not higher than anything we have seen around the world. We lost our luggage in transit from Johannesburg and the hotel staff (including some who are based at the airport) and concierge followed up magnificently to see it returned to us quickly. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious with all the necessary amenities of a top hotel. A great buffet breakfast is included in the room price. Even if you're not staying at the Stanley a visit is a must if you're in Nairobi. We loved the Thorn Tree Cafe - with its message board dating back to the 1900s.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor and for your five star rating.

We are glad that the team offered exceptional service in a safe environment and at a very high level of customer service. We are very proud of our history and heritage and are always excited to share it through pictures, decor and stories from legendary personalities. Thank you for your sentiments on guest room comfort, buffet breakfast and the message board in Thorn Tree.

On your luggage, we are delighted that our team members were at hand to assist to get it back to you quickly.

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to hosting you again.

David Gachuru
Lusaka, Zambia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

The Stanely is ideally located in the CBD close to many relevant places. The only set back is house keeping...I accidentally soiled the bottom bed sheet with shoe polish and naturally expected it to be changed only to find out as I was about to sleep that during the room cleaning, it was swapped with the top one! The breakfast is absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We are glad that our hotel was a convenient location for your purpose of visit while in Nairobi. We also appreciate your sentiments on breakfast.

We sincerely apologize of the polish-stained bed sheet that was not changed. Allow us to explain our procedures. Our house-keeping standard is to refresh all guest amenities including bed sheets on a daily basis. During evening turn-down service, we also refresh the rooms and bed-sheets once again, in case the guest used the same during the day. However, when our guests put up the "water conservation" sign, we do not change bed sheets and towels. We wish to assure you that the incident is by no means a reflection of what we do. We wish to leave it as isolated and unfortunate incident. Our aim is to always exceed our valued customers’ expectation.

We wish to once again thank you for your feedback and looking forward to your return visit.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

I did not know what to expect as our colleague locally booked the hotel. This really is "old world" hotel with a huge history but everything else is new world! The service was great, from the reception staff, the restaurant staff, bar waiters and the security guards on every floor. The rooms do vary in size and I think I had one of the standard rooms which was more than adequate with all the facilities you could need, very clean and good furniture. A great touch of a full fruit bowl in the room as well. The gym is very well equipped, if a little cramped, but it is good. The pool area with a restaurant/bar is great. The Thai restaurant served some of the best Thai food I have had in a long time and the best is the old fashioned bar area, great and very well done. The original staircase through the centre of the hotel reminds you of the hotel's history.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear ShanksPony11,

Thank for your your feedback and the five star rating.

We are glad that your colleague recommend the Sarova Stanley and we exceeded your expectation with great service. We appreciate your comments on our heritage, history, team hospitality and professionalism, in-room amenities, fitness facilities and all our dining options, especially the Thai Chi restaurant with its authentic Thai cuisine.

Thank you for sharing the experience through pictures.

Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

This was my first stay at the Sarova Stanley and from the time I arrived for a 3 day stay to the time I left all the staff I came into contact with were very polite and professional. I would like to single out Vera Moraa the reservations officer who dealt with our initial enquiry and even personally greeted us on arrival. Great service and I will definitely be rebooking at the "Stanley" for my next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear RichardCShute,

Thank you for your review.

We appreciate your comments on our great service, hospitality and for the special mention of our reservation team member who exceeded your expectations. We are glad that your 3 day visit was memorable and refreshing.

We look forward to your return visit.

Lagos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I first stayed at the Sarova Stanley in July 2012 on the recommendation of a friend based in Nairobi. The stay was as pleasant as could be expected of a 5 star hotel. My second visit earlier this year was almost marred by an incident in which I felt that an employee had disrespected me. At the same time, I was experiencing suboptimal internet connectivity in my room.

A change of room did not improve the situation. I took these up with the management and was quite surprised at the speed with which the management team led by the General Manager, Mr David Gachuru swung into action. To their credit they not only apologized unconditionally but also took concrete steps to make things better. They provided a working alternative internet access and took measures to ensure that such acts of disrespect were not repeated.

In June 2013, I was on my way to Nairobi. I sent an email that morning as I left for the Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos – informing Mr Gachuru I would be in Nairobi that night.

I had already been booked into another hotel for the next day. I had not made any booking for where I would stay for the night. My plan was to take an airport taxi and go to a number of hotels depending on what options the driver knew.

That all changed when I got to Sarova Hotel group office at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi. When the personnel saw me, they called up the hotel and “demanded” persuasively that I must spend at least that night at the hotel. I was offered a great discount and given a free ride in the limousine to the airport. What a way to enter town!

At the Stanley it was as if everyone was expecting me. I was given a royal welcome and led to my room where I yet had another surprise – my room had been upgraded at no extra cost.
I eventually stayed in the Stanley for 5 nights – 3 of which were complimentary (thanks to the management team!). I even got a little note of appreciation when it was time to check out.

The Stanley turned a series of potentially negative experiences into an opportunity to look inwards and improve. They have demonstrated that organisations in Africa understand the changes they would have to make in order to stay competitive. Make no mistake, it would not be an easy task to maintain the level of consistency customers like me expect and demand. There is still room for growth and improvement. I am okay that at least they are giving it a try...offering some refreshing African hospitality in the process.

My last thought of course goes to Mr Gachuru again for working hard to improve the service at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear digitaldoctor,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this amazing review after your recent stay with us.

We are grateful that you gave us another chance to host you and make right our previous gaps in service. It is an honor that we were able to provide you with a superior and memorable stay. Our guests are the center of everything we do. As a team, we strive to provide unparalleled experiences and special moments to all our guests.

Once again, thank you again for giving us the opportunity to host you. We look forward to your return.

Antananarivo, Madagascar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

overall nice services, old renovated architecturev& style, very well positioned down town, parking seems to be the challenge; deserves its position of the most known/appreciated hotel resort in kenya...

• Stayed January 2014
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your Five Star review.

It is very gratifying to hear such great feedback . We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and that we exceeded your expectations overall. Thank you again for taking the time to give us your wonderful comments about the service, amenities and hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

David Gachuru