“When the staff are happy to see you return, you know you have arrived”
Review of Sarova Stanley

Sarova Stanley
Ranked #7 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Kampala, Uganda
“When the staff are happy to see you return, you know you have arrived”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am NOT an easy customer to please when I stay at hotels showing off awards in the lobby and displaying 5 stars at the entrance, because they raise expectations and should, in fact must delivery quality which matches their claims.
Returning to the Stanley is always a pleasure as it allows me to walk to literally all locations in the Central Business District. Bother not with taxis as walking is faster, healthier anyway and I found once again that the streets of Nairobi are safer than the city's reputation gives it credit for.
I was returned to a 7th floor Executive room I had stayed in before and as then, everything in the room was working, there were enough sockets for my chargers and the complimentary tea and kettle allowed for that quintessential cuppa on arrival. The staff were swift to bring me two mugs and plenty of creamer and sweetener and kept my supply stocked to the moment I left, which included a free of cost late check out.
I love having breakfast at the Thorn Tree, where the world still walks by, at least Nairobi's citizens do, even if it is no longer the open area due to these days having only one secured entry point into the hotel.
On weekends guests can enjoy a glass of bubbly for breakfast and exquisite little bitings sure to tickle one's taste buds.
I ate, as before, at the Thorn Tree for dinner, as I did at the pool restaurant but nothing beats the Thai restaurant on the first floor where the food is authentic and the presentation and service impeccable.
The brand ambassadors in the lobby continue to exceed expectations and truly go out of their way to get things done for guests and the attention of in fact all staff, their cheerfulness and friendly smile, just make the Stanley a perpetual winner.
When asked I always list the Sarova Stanley as among my top rated choices of hotels in Nairobi and they keep earning that place.

Room Tip: The higher up the better the view and the Sarova Stanley Suites come very highly recommended!
2 Thank Safariafficionado
Ben K, Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are humbled to read your review. This being the third review for our hotel.

Thank you for your continued patronage of Sarova Stanley. We are always delighted to host you.

Your comments have been shared with the entire team to motivate us all to continue offering all our guests personalized service and memorable moments.

We look forward to hosting you again.

Ben Katungi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Enjoued my recent business trip at this hotel. From the check inn to check out was awesome. Very friendly staff, good restaurants. Room is spacious, furniture good enough. Bed was firm and the A/C worked well. Water pressure was good and the room was clean.
There is a very good gym, swimming pool and conference rooms.

1 Thank Marius S
Ben K, Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

We really appreciate your taking the time to give us feedback. We are delighted that you not only enjoyed your stay but that we exceeded your expectations overall.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sarova Stanley soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel was fantastic! The service was impeccable, they took care of every need and made sure we felt at home. From the pick up from the airport after a long haul flight to breakfast the next day, everything was perfect. Cannot rate this hotel more highly. The perfect place to stay if you are heading to Nairobi!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for the high rating.

We appreciate your comments on our service and hospitality from your day of arrival to departure, including our breakfast variety.

We thank you for your recommendation and look forward to hosting you again.

Warm regards
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This is the second time during my many stays in the Sarova Stanley where the hotel is charging me twice. This time the staff forgot to refill my minibar so that I had only once a refreshment. When I checked out the receptionist billed me twice for the minibar. I explained to the gentleman that it has not been refilled, but he insisted on me paying another 20$. I asked for the manager. Ms. Veronica Keya manager on duty also told me that I have to pay the extra amount. She went through her records and found out that it was not 4 refreshments all of a sudden but only 3 refreshments. The situation became too ridicoulous for me and I had an airplane to catch so i paid 3 refreshments. A shame that a hotel like this has so low standards.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dav C
David G, General Manager at Sarova Stanley, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback on your repeat stay with us. We also appreciate your support.

We note your disappointment on the billing of your mini-bar consumption. Please allow us to take you through the bill. We replenish our mini-bars daily and we did it for your room on the first and second day. However, on the third day, we could not access your room. This was because, at the time of replenishing, there was a “Do not Disturb” sign on your door. Subsequent visits to replenish were also unsuccessful.

Consequently, we billed you for the two days and not three days. The amount charged to you is based on consumption and we have confirmed that it is correct.

We would not at any time want to make a mistake on our customers bill. We believe that this is what the manager on duty explained.

We hope to continue hosting you.

Kind regards,
David Gachuru
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before starting our week of safari, and had a lovely night!

On arrival in our room, there were rose petals around the bed and bathroom, and we had been left a bottle of wine & a fruit basket.

We had our dinner at the pool restaurant, I had a delicious chicken waldorf salad while my husband had a well cooked steak. Following this, we went to the Exchange Bar for cocktails, where the barman (I forget his name) was very friendly & welcoming. We had a free shot each and were given some Tusker glasses as a memento of our trip. Breakfast the next morning was also delicious, and the mandanzi we had there were the nicest of our whole holiday.

The security at the hotel is very impressive, and when we asked for directions to the nearest supermarket, a security officer walked us to the shop. We had to persuade him that we would be fine to get back to the hotel ourselves, but he was willing to wait while we did our shopping! I also managed to leave my kindle at the hotel and this was returned to the Pollmans rep within a day, and I got it back on our return to Nairobi the next week.

We were very impressed with all aspects of this hotel and would happily stay again.

Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We were glad to have made your honeymoon memorable.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and are very grateful for your compliments toward your dining experience and our security team who were more than willing to assist.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I have stayed at the Stanley four or five times and always enjoy the slightly old-fashioned feel of the place.

The staff are invariably helpful and pleasant and the restaurants good, and while security is ubiquitous, it is also discreet. The only downside is that being in central Nairobi the traffic can be dreadful and access difficult, but if you enjoy bustling and exuberant cities (and I do) this is not the worst thing possible.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review.

We really appreciate your taking the time to give us your feedback and are delighted that you not only enjoyed your stay but that we exceeded your expectations overall.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sarova Stanley soon.

United States
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 days during March 2014, before a 5-day safari. The location of the hotel was wonderful because it allowed us to see Nairobi and get a glimpse of the downtown area. I have to admit that the amount of security at the entrance of the hotel and in every floor was a big surprise, but in my opinion, if a place needs security, the more the better. Right after we passed the security checkpoint (metal detector and all), it all changed. Big smiles and warm welcomes from the doormen, to the concierge, and EVERYONE else... literally, i have never been in a hotel where i was treated this good. Everyone went out of their way to make sure i had everything i wanted or needed, even before i knew i needed it.
Besides the good service, people in this hotel are very friendly, always smiling and making you feel welcome in the property and most of all, in their country.
The gym is small but had enough space and machines for a short stay. The bar and the pool in the top floor are very nice. Breakfast is wonderful, and there is always someone making amazing omelets, fresh pancakes and waffles.
The room was bigger than expected, and although in the downtown area, we could hardly hear any noise from outside. The bathroom was very big as well.
Dinner and drinks at the piano bar in the first floor are a must.

I stayed in this hotel because of the amazing reviews it had, especially the comments about the staff - hands down, this is the best service i have ever received in a hotel, because people very friendly and i always felt genuinely welcomed. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and i would stay here again if i ever get the opportunity to go to Nairobi again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the short but effective review on Sarova Stanley.

We are extremely thankful when we read comments like yours, since our ultimate aim is to ensure that our guests are extremely happy when they stay with us. We appreciate your comments on our location, hospitality, food variety, the size of our guest rooms and our warm staff.

It was a real pleasure to host you and we do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you once again in the near future.