“Excellent place to brace up for a Safari”
Review of Sarova Stanley

Sarova Stanley
Ranked #7 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Mumbai
“Excellent place to brace up for a Safari”
Reviewed 23 May 2010

We stayed at this Hotel enroute Masai Mara.
Over 6 out of my last 10 trips to Nairobi saw me staying at Sarova Stanley. The Hotel gives the feel of an authentic 4 star place- complete with all the latest in comfort from plush rooms and relaxing spa, swimming pool et al to its hustle bustle of city life just outside on the street.
Its location makes it convenient to travel to Parklands and beyond to the city.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Located in the Nairobi CBD, the Stanley is a piece of Nairobi history & a charming hotel. Staff are always friendly and efficient/professional and nothing is too much trouble for them. (For my birthday they organised complimentary chocolate birthday cake, flowers and fruit bowl in our room as a surprise !)

The rooms are spacious, clean and well maintained as are the en suite bathrooms. Baby cots are provided. The various restaurants offer a nice selection of dishes, and the Thorn Tree Cafe is a great meeting spot - try one of their delicious coffees !

There is a very well stocked book shop inside the hotel, carrying a wide range of books on East Africa aswell as a hair salon and curio shop.

The doormen (in their top hat and tails !) are always willing to help you with directions, taxi etc and the fresh flowers throughout the main hotel areas are a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I have now visited Nairobi three times and stayed at The Sarova Stanley twice. I really like this hotel. The staff is very friendly, food is good, location is perfect. Tried the Fairview once after reading all the great reviews here at Tripadvisor and had to ask myself if The Fairview is paying people to write great reviews. The Stanley is a far better alternative. The staff at The Stanley really try thier very best to make your stay as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.
This is the place for me coming trips to Nairobi.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 30 April 2010

I arrived Easter morning on a 5:00 a.m. overnight flight and was picked up at the airport by their driver and immediately given a room. The room was comfortable, internet worked and staff/service was friendly and helpful. I had a local make a reservation for me through his work and only paid $95 for my one night stay. Even though I checked in a 5:00 a.m. and checked out at noon the next day I was only changed for one night. So overall, it was a good stay and would recommend it to others even if it were slightly more than $95 a night.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Toronto
Reviewed 25 April 2010

I have mixed feelings about The Stanley. I was caught in the airport freeze resulting from Icelandic volcano eruption and spent two days at The Stanley. The staff is wonderful. Every person I met was polite and helpful, friendly and warm. Without the quickness and urging of the Brand Ambassador, I would never have gotten a flight home so fast.

The room was clean and comfortable. There are several restaurants, a pool, a fitness centre, a business centre in the hotel. Breakfast and free internet access are included in the room rate. There is even a comfortable, designated smoking area (it's illegal to smoke in public in Kenya). The building has character, real flowers adorn hallways. Yet, yet...

The internet service in my room was ever so slow. When I stayed in my room looking for updates from my airline and searching for alternate routes home, I had to answer the door several times in one afternoon. These included: room clean, restocking the mini-bar, checking to see if the room had been cleaned, offer to turn down my bed (it was the middle of the afternoon!), among others. I finally went to the business centre to use the internet because I just didn't want to answer the door anymore and I was tired of the slow internet.

While restaurant staff was welcoming, service was slow and food just okay. Edible, but not pleasurable.

The hotel was generally hot wherever you go. Seems air conditioning was only available in the rooms. I ran around so much to get flight info that I was sweating every time I left my room. I thought it was me until I heard someone else complain about the heat in the lobby.

I found the room expensive. $215 for a single at a special rate. Then I looked on their website to see that rooms sometimes go for $145. Worse, I checked out in the evening of the second night to catch my flight and they charged me the full amount for the second night. They had the right to do that. But if they had the thoughtfulness to reduce the amount for the second night, it would have made me they cared. Instead, I felt they just exploited the situation and me. All the friendliness of the staff suddenly paled to the meanness of management.

I think The Stanley aims to be a grand hotel. It may even have been once. The overwhelming sense now is management just want to make money off guests and spend as little as possible. A practical reason to be in the hotel business, but not a good experience for the traveller.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Like the majority of Nairobi hotels -- and on this recent trip I managed to stay in three -- the Stanley has service problems. First: I wound up paying $290 a night to stay here even though I booked the same type of room for $190 (long story not worth repeating). The nature of my work requires Internet access, and the Stanley's connections were poor and less than intermittent -- no wi-fi, poorly functioning broadband connection. I tried over the phone with the business center to rectify the problem to no avail, and told them that I was giving up for the night and no longer wanted to be bothered about it. Sure enough I got two phone calls about the Internet a half-hour and an hour later, disturbing my sleep. I would not make such a big deal about this, but when I checked in, I asked for repeated guarantees that the Internet access would be usable, since it was not in the previous hotel I stayed in, the LAICO Regency.
Further: I had a meal with several colleagues in the Thai restaurant. Great food and service, and the waiter even offered to keep separate checks for everyone at the table. However, the computer system went down at the end of the meal, and it took more than 45 minutes for the wait staff to figure out who had to pay how much for what (they were completely unwilling to accept our word for it, until at least two members of our party wrote out their orders on a napkin, paid and left). During this process the staff became rude and surly, and accused me of trying to leave without paying for my drinks. Ridiculous!
Security is also an issue in this part of Nairobi. In the morning, while getting into my transport at the front of the hotel, I was approached by a con man in a red uniform who tried to misrepresent himself as being from the hotel, wanting to "assist me with checkout" by holding on to my laptop bag. I was immediately suspicious and when I leaned forward to take a closer look at his name tag, he slapped a newspaper he was holding in his other hand over it, and made a game attempt to carry on with the charade. I put my bag in the van, told the driver what was going on, and when I turned around he was gone. The response from the hotel was, "That's Nairobi."
The important stuff: Rooms are well-appointed and clean, beds comfortable. Pool is beautiful and warmly heated. Prices for this hotel vary widely so book the cheapest rate you can and try not to pay over $200 a night.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Clean, efficient, historical and centrally located, the Stanley is a great hotel. Our rooms were clean, the staff friendly and everything very comfortable. Nairobi can be a little intimidating but this hotel is not.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business