“Nice gounds but service is slipping” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Safari Park Hotel

Safari Park Hotel
Ranked #23 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Utrecht
“Nice gounds but service is slipping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I have stayed in Safari Park several times on business trips in the past year. The hotels is a bit out of town, but close to the office so a good choice from that respect. The hotel grounds are secure and the landscaping is wonderful. Every car going in and out has to pass a gate with guards, making the hotel grounds very safe. The gardens with many plants and big trees are beautiful and also the African Dance show in the Nyama Choma restaurant is highly recommend.
On the down side, the distances between the rooms, reception and restaurants can be quite a long way. The mobile internet (which is recently gone from paid to free) does not have a good signal in all the rooms and can be very slow. Housekeeping is slipping, I stayed for 4 days, and one of the days, I found my room back at 22:00 in the same state I had left it at 7:30 in the morning. No cleaning, bed not made up and no clean towels. On an other night, my mini-bar had not been refilled. One of my colleagues had a big discussion on check in about his taxi (which had been arranged by the hotel). They insisted on a cash payment and would not charge it to the hotel bill. I have also had an experience with no taxi being there to meet me at the airport as agreed. Not major issues but for a hotel of this standing, this is not what you expect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor,not too far away from the reception and the restaurants.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Geerlings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed here with my family while on a business trip. The grounds are beautiful. The rooms are worn. The main restaurant service is excrutiating slow. We ate at the Italian place most nights. We spent one night at the meat restarurant that had a FANTASTIC show -- one of the best performance shows I have ever seen in Africa, New York City or otherwise. It was a breath-taking performance. The prices on everything are silly high -- because we are a captive audience. Do note that you can go to the new Nakumatt grocery store just a few blocks from the hotel to stock up on water and other basics. Beds are firm to hard.

Room Tip: If you get an external facing room (like out to the grounds), you may hear loud music from the parti...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank William S
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I did not stay at this hotel, but I did eat at the restaurant Nyama Choma Ranch which is on the ground and would highly recommend that you check it out. It was many years ago but I remember it like it was yesterday. I ate all sorts of exotic meats that I had never dreamed of eating and was well entertained by a band and some dancers that were entertaining that day.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

We were put in this hotel by our tour company as an overnight stop, having arrived at the airport at 9.30. It is some distance from the airport (about 40 min drive). The room was well equipped with mosquito net, and air conditioning would have been a plus. If it was in the room, I could not see the switch! The lighting in the room was poor however. All bulbs were working but none really provided enough light to read by, or to find things in a case late at night.The grounds are superb and well landscaped. Breakfast was self service with drinking water supplied, and a good choice of food with plenty of choice of seating inside or out.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenmaryb
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

This hotel has a security gate and totally fenced. Very pretty grounds and huge. Lots of pool area, a lot of weddings were going on while we were there. Hemingways bar upstairs is totally open and relaxing. The Chyoma Ranch has unusal food such as camel. The Safari Cat Dancers are fascinating. Enjoyed them very much.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kjbooth
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

I have just returned from Nairobi where for the first time I stayed at this hotel. There were a few good but also some mixed reviews. I have been going to Kenya for 2o years so have a reasonable Verviers of what to expect. I must say this place met all of my expectations for a great stay for business. A warm welcome from drat to finish. Check in was accompanied with an iced tea while I waited.My room was well appointed with all mod cons. Very comfy bed. Super view and huge balcony with a view over the beautiful gardens. There was plenty of activities but I didn't do much as I was hectic with meetings. I especially enjoyed Hemingways Bar which was friendly and made a great end to the day. Breakfasts were faultless as we're the staff. There was a safe in my room which was showing error which I could have had fixed but I didn't bother. The one area where they need to rethink is wifi. It is 2000 Kenyan Shillings a day which is about £8 - it works well but these days business folk expect this for free added to which there is the hassle factor of refreshing the code with reception .... If the management are reading this please review as you will be able to attract more business users. I had a very late check out (7pm) for which I negotiated $65 which was so worth it and again this is often something granted for free if available and would encourage a further booking. I had room 853 and my colleague had the larger 851. The hotel is outside of the centre of town bit that it a plus point and I have a driver so no worries there added to which I don't go out in the evenings. The Italian restaurant was excellent as was thenAfrican one with a stunning show for all thrown into the price. Drinks were well priced. I will certainly consider this hotel again when I return in a couple of months. What really makes this p,ace is the staff who are happy and proud. Well done - keep it up - review your wifi policy and late checkout as wetland then you are faultless which for any hotel to be is an enviable position to be in.

Room Tip: Request a room near breakfast - Block 8
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed at this hotel because it was the first night as part of our safari. We spend our first two night in Nairobi at Fairview Park Hotel which was more central.

Safari Park Hotel is good, the included breakfast is really nice and it was good to relax by the pool. However, this hotel is further out from the main city centre and other attractions, so you will end up paying more for taxis etc.

The room was really nice, four post bed with nets, modern tv, mini bar, bath/shower. The hotel is quite busy so if your room is near the driveway you may hear vehicle noise

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple