“Great ambience....”
Review of Safari Park Hotel

Safari Park Hotel
Ranked #27 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 22 December 2009

Recently stayed at this hotel for a week on business, found the hotel to be peaceful and quiet away from the bustling nairobi city centre. The grounds are quite expansive and there's a surreal and very natural mood in the layout of the hotel. There are a variety of dishes available from Chinese, Japanese, Italian and traditional cuisine and reasonably priced too. The downside though was the mosquitoes and the rooms which did not have any airconditioning , beyond this it's as close to nature as you can comfortably get to........

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Safari Park Hotel

Reviewed 2 December 2009

I have recently returned from a visit to this hotel while my husband was working in Nairobi. First impressions were very positive although the grounds at night are very dark, you do get used to it. Our room was spacious, clean and suited our needs. There are a number of restaurants in the grounds of this hotel, cafe where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served, Japanese, Chinese, African for meat lovers, to name a few plus the lovely Hemingway bar. The only real negative I have is the number of mosquitoes which were exceptional, first night I got bitten through my sock in the Hemingway, then mossies got through the net in our bedroom. Every night we requested that our room be re-sprayed and also sprayed again ourselves when net was closed.

The accommodation is spread over the grounds of the hotel in blocks which were called after a different animal's name - we were Giraffe!

A tip, if needing batteries/mobiles/laptops charged - bring an extension lead. We had a small square 4 plug one with us which was invaluable. Also, if like me you are a coffee lover, do bring a mug from home with you - I cannot stand small hotel cups and always prefer 1 big mug of coffee apart from 2 small ones. If you ask for coffee with milk they will give you half and half so be warned. I asked for black then asked for the milk.

There is a lovely walk around the perimeter of the hotel which is worth doing.

Although there were heavy road works outside the hotel they didn't affect my stay there at all and I didn't hear anything in my room.

A tennis court is also available.

The beauty salon - I left it until my final day to visit here and I was sorry. I was there for 2.5 hrs and had a full body massage followed by pedicure and manicure all for €31. There is a staff of 4 and I believe the facials are also excellant.

Internet is not free and worked out expensive. 10,000 kish for 1 hour and 20,000 for 24 hours. Speaking to travellers who had used this hotel before they told me that the rate had increased seven fold.

Everynight at the African restaurant there is a show called Cats which is free to residents. Not being a great meat eater I never actually ate here but did pop in and out and reckon I saw majority of the show.

The swimming pool is wonderful and the photographs do not do it justice. Actually there are 2 pools, one for lengths and the other circles around an island and under bridges etc. Makes for fun swimming. There are changing rooms at the pool where the pool attendant will give you towel and cushion. He looked after me very well but sadly wasn't around on my last day for me to thank him.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank carnsoreboxer
Reviewed 21 November 2009

I stayed at Safari Park Hotel for a multiple day business meeting held at the hotel. Personally, I did not like how far away the hotel was from the city (which meant lots of time spent in the smoggy Nairobi traffic), but it did mean that the area was very quiet and peaceful. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, and they have a small running/walking path that I took advantage of - a mix of sidewalks, earthen paths and parking lots - to view the grounds.

The room was clean, the beds a bit hard and the bathroom fixtures showing quite a bit of age. I was hoping I'd get a chance to enjoy the balcony from my room, as it overlooked a charming garden/pond, but unfortunately didn't get a chance.

I ordered breakfast room service one day; it was delivered promptly at the time I had requested and was complete...however, scrambled eggs in Kenya are very different than in the U.S. - the eggs were extremely wet and runny (definitely a job for a spoon rather than a fork). Underwhelmed with the taste and turned off by the texture, I moved on to the breakfast pasteries, yogurt and fruit, which were very tasty.

Service can be very slow when checking in/out. They do not have electronic credit card machines, so it can take a while to do it manually as they have to call the credit card company for verification.

I wished they would've had a change bureau or banking facility onsite - they had difficulty in one of their bars and their gift shop making change for purchases made with 1000 ksh notes. They have a business center where you can access the internet and print, but it will cost you (can't remember how much) - and you pay for each page you print - it would've been nicer if they at least offer a free service to check in and print your boarding pass.

I'd recommend Safari Park for their clean rooms and nice grounds, but I feel the fell flat on some other key services that make the difference between a four and five star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2009

The hotel grounds are beautiful. The staff are nice. It is not a chain so has more local flavor. Rooms are decent. Nice breakfasts. It is not located near downtown Nairobi which could be a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. Unfortunately, rooms had no fans, there were a lot of mosquitos everywhere. If you can get a special rate, it would be worth staying here, but frankly, not worth 260.00. On a side note, don't use the safari office at the hotel. It is much, much too expensive. You can hire a taxi for the day from the hotel and it will cost you a fifth of the price.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank nomad633
Reviewed 4 October 2009

We loved the Safari Park Hotel. It's beautiful grounds and quiet atmosphere were a striking contrast to the chaos of Nairobi. We were in Nairobi twice - once on the way to our Safari and once on the return. The city itself is constant traffic and people and dust everywhere. It's a great city to visit, but if you're struggling with jet lag, it's not the place to get a hotel. The Safari Park hotel is on the outskirts of town and is quiet, peaceful with well designed and kept grounds and clean/dust free rooms. The birds that visit the grounds each morning and throughout the day were beautiful. We were glad we stayed at this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2009

We spent a night here before catching a flight to Zanzibar. After a week of camping we were so happy to see this hotel was of a very high standard. It is a large hotel with 5 retaurants and many rooms but is in a nice setting considering it is in a city centre with plenty of facilities and space. We ate at the African restaurant which was excellent. During out meal there was an African show which was equally impressive. If you are looking for a large hotel, I would recommend this one.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Stayed two nights before taking a safari. It was included in the cost of the safari. Nice, clean and spacious rooms. Rooms had Safe which was easy to programme.Bathroom bit outdated but OK. Atleast three different restaurents which includes a chinese and an italian. Breakfast was very good. Full buffett. At night a free dance and acrobatic show which very good. A travel desk which can arrange for trips etc. Nice gardens with water falls. About 40minutes drive from the airport at night without trafic. Staff and service was excellent. Taxi to attractions, city center and airport was expensive due to its distance.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo