“Wildlife in Nairobi's backyard”

Nairobi National Park
Book In Advance
More Info
US$80.00*
and up
Nairobi National Park Half-Day Tour
Ranked #3 of 129 things to do in Nairobi
More attraction details
Owner description: Noble black rhinos are the highlight of this amazing park, Kenya’s first national park and a local treasure.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I had an awesome time in the park. We arrived between 8:30am - 9:00am. We were lucky to have arrived when the experts arrived (the professional safari team) so we just followed them. I hired a professional driver but he's not in the area as frequently as the pro's. His idea worked as the professionals communicate with either the rangers or other drivers and know where the action is. We saw two lions, rhinos, hippos, crocs, lots of giraffe and zebra, baboons, warthogs, gazelle, etc. No elephants unfortunately. I was able to capture some great photos though!

I'd definitely go back. The only warning is that the price of entering was around 5800ksh or so. I handed the cashier 6000ksh and he wasn't going to give me my change. He tried to pull a fast one on me--"I didn't give you 200ksh?" Watch out for the clerks, lol!

Also, be sure to hit the restrooms before heading into the park. There's a nature trail where you can take a walk, grab drinks, use the bathroom, and buy souvenirs but it took us a while to get there.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,459)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I saw the Simba. entrance was around 5000 shillings including the driver. The driver, organised at my hotel was 6000 shillings.

Make sure you go early if you want to see the lions. It opens at 6am.

The view to Nairobi CBD is surreal. Lovely to see the animals in the 'wild'

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My colleagues were sick of game drives after two weeks, but my wife and I hired our driver to take us on an unscheduled game drive on our off-morning in Nairobi. It only took 15 minutes to drive here from our hotel and love was in the air. We were fortunate to see mating lions and mating giraffes and I finally saw an eland after looking for one for two weeks. We also saw herds of hartebeest when we'd only seen sporadic hartebeest, if any at all, in the other parks. We also saw some fun birds.

If you haven't had enough of the game drives and don't want to waste a minute, take the opportunity to visit this great park.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nairobi National Park is a lovely escape from the urban jungle that is Nairobi and only a short drive away early in the morning with little to no traffic to fight with. During our game drive we saw plenty of game including but not limited to: lions (eating a morning snack – a wildebeast served rare), buffalo, giraffes galore, gazelles, eland, waterbuck, ostrich, zebra, cokes hartebeest, wildebeast, crocodile, vultures, eagles, crown cranes, storks, baboons, hyrax, superb starling, vervets and the list goes on. This was all within a 4-hour game drive! With the vastness of the park, I feel it could support more game but nevertheless we saw an amazing variety of animals and birds. Beware of the baboons hovering around the picnic areas. As one came charging towards us, we rushed back to the car and did not get another opportunity for a picnic. Make sure you have the appropriate vehicle for the adventure, as there are some steep off-roading trails you must conquer. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and the rangers were pleasant and sociable. It is definitely one of the best attractions Nairobi has to offer.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Last we were there all the Lions started roaring...most scary and exciting all at the same time!

STOP CONSTRUCTION NEAR THE NATIONAL PARK PLEASE. THIS IS OUR HERITAGE.

1  Thank MercyOmoro