“It was about time”

About Thyme
Ranked #12 of 567 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: European, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We offer indoor and outdoor dining. Outdoor dining options are aplenty, either on our terrace or 'Down Thyme' garden. If the weather is a bit chilly we offer jikos to warm you up, or dine inside next to our cosy fireplace.
Wellington, New Zealand
“It was about time”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had been trying to get here for a while. It was a very nice venue for our party of four. We sat outside and it was very pleasant. The menu had numerous choices that I would like to try. I had the smoked sailfish which was served on a chive crepe with a lemon & mustard dressing as my starter, and this was excellent. I also stole a chicken wing and this was coated in honey and very nice. For my main I chose the Tuna Steak which was marinated in a honey and soy sauce, barbequed to your taste and served with wasabi mayonnaise. My quibble with this dish was the way the fish had been cut. They included the blood line which, when I hit it was rather unpleasant and detracted from what was an excellent dish. Lastly, being well sated the four of us shared a strawberry and rhubarb pudding with ice cream. Also very good. I would certainly recommend give this place a try and, as said before, there is much more I wish to try on this menu so will certainly be coming back again.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank David P

Nairobi, Kenya
“An oasis - but then its the food..”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

A relaxing oasis. Big variety of places to dine. Terrace. Indoors. Garden. In shadow or in the sun. Lots of vegetation around.
A real peaceful place.
But then its the food. Falalel with beetroot tsatziki flr starter. The falafels really dry and fell in pieces, The tzatziki was really watery.
Orangeconfited duckleg as main. Tough old duck - had really to fight with it to be able to cut pieces of meat. Mashed potatoes were fine - but the sauce really over chilied. Way to strong....
But both plates were beautiful.
To look at.
For dessert - the trio of creme brulé. No. No. No. This was more of whipped old cream.
But a beautiful plate.
To look at.

Hmm.. so of course I will give About Thyme a second chance.
For the environment.
And maybe stick to coctails.

But oh.. The espresso was perfect.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Hans L
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice Tom Collins”
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Nice food and they do a great Ton Collins gin. Really relaxed atmosphere and enjoyed watching the monkeys frolicking around in the garden trees.

Nairobi, Kenya
“Used to be a favorite”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have been to this restaurant countless of times and the food used to be delicious. Over the years the standard of the food has dropped - I'm not too sure why. The ambiance however is wonderful, and perfect for a private romantic dinner or a quiet meeting with friends. My all time favorite meal here used to be the T-bone steak which in the recent past has been consistently tough and the sauce watery. We visited the restaurant over the 2014 Nairobi Restaurant Week. I had the liver pate mouse which lacked seasoning. I had to add ketchup, salt and pepper to make it palatable. The steak was decent though albeit small. And the bread and butter pudding was average. I hope the food goes back to its old glory because this place was a gem.

• Visited February 2014
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Thyme-Best Place to have your diner and enjoy it!!”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I loved Thyme Restaurant so much.The service was impeccable,the waiters friendly and the food doesn't take long after you've ordered.I had the Tasty Fish fillet with vegetables.We sat outside and it was so cool with candle-lit tables,intimate and Dazzling!! I Loved the place!!

• Visited November 2013