“Nice new addition to Nairobi hotels”

Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi
Ranked #2 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya
“Nice new addition to Nairobi hotels”
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Villa Rosa for 1 night.

Great Price. Breakfast included.
Good location, breakfast was ok.
Room amenities are what you would expect of any other 5 star hotel.

Only complaint would be that we had gone to the hotel to see the rooms earlier as we had a lot of guests coming in for an event. We went to the hotel just past 6pm and we were told that viewing times for rooms was from 8am to 6pm only. This I thought was quite retrogressive. And we had to take our 31 guests to another hotel. Also, the staff came across as quite amateurish in the hotel industry.

We stayed here as we couldn't get rooms at the other establishment for ourselves.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank Prital N
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Prital N,
Thank you so much for your recent review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi. We appreciate the feedback.
I do apologize that you were not able to view the rooms when you came into the hotel, apologies for the inconvenience caused.
We had initially kept the viewing times for the guest rooms from 8 am – 6 pm to maintain guest privacy in the rooms area. However owing to the demand for guests wanting to view the newly opened Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, we have changed the viewing times from 8 am to as late as 10 pm and have allocated some show rooms.We are flexible on the 8 am - 10 pm too .
My team and I hope that you enjoyed your personal experience at the hotel.
In case we can be of any support with future reservations, please do get in touch.
Best Wishes for a great 2014.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
nairobi
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

I went to visit a friend, had never been to the hotel before but got guidance and assistance from right at the gate, parking to the reception every step of the way. Staff at the main restaurant were courteous. Food was served in a buffet. Well presented and fresh. There was a wide variety of dishes to chose from both vegetarian and non vegetarian, which was a plus. The dessert layout was also nice.
The rooms are not large but they are tasteful. I liked that the bathroom had plenty of towels, in addition to bath slippers and robes. Saves you the trouble of calling housekeeping right?
They bring the daily newspaper, and have well packaged mineral water. The bath has all the necessary toiletries, with well thought out security seals to ensure quality and that you are the only person using the product......thoughtful.
The room was on the 9th floor, not much of a view as it was facing a auto garage, an abandoned building and some apartments in the Westlands area.
Noticed that they have room service which they refer to as in room dining :-) and the breakfast is quite impressive, added plus is the staff who brought it to the room, she politely asked to present it, and did it with such flair, was a joy to dig in.
Staff are polite to ring the bell and WAIT before barging in, ask when you'd prefer to have the room cleaned, and do so so discretely when you leave, my friend commented "it's like they're just waiting to cater to your every need without you asking" noticed that at the main restaurant too, they anticipate your needs so to speak.
The place is quite pricey though, from meals to drinks, so not a place for an average Joe, and guess they are not targeting average.
One thing we noticed and thought would be important to consider, is the entry exit from the basement parking, as much as there are staff to guide this movement, might help if two points can be considered. The other thing is there is no way of knowing who parked which car meaning your car can easily be driven off without you knowing as there is no security tag, plate or form of identification....
I'd definitely pay another visit, didn't get to visit the spa nor the rooftop facilities with the rain, so have something to look forward to. Considering this is a soft opening stage, they can only get better, keep the PR up and you will go places as this is what lets down the service industry in Kenya.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wanderlustciru
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, 28 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review of the Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi. My team and I are delighted to hear that you were impressed by the hotel and its services. I will definitely share your wonderful comments to the team. Our culinary team takes great pride in serving up delectable food and drinks which is evident from the many reviews and compliments we get from our guests. We have also selected bespoke amenities in our rooms to cater to our frequent travelers. Our training processes are of the highest level thus enabling our team to serve our guests with discretion and respect their privacy.
I have taken your comments in regards to having 2 points for entry and exit and will be reviewing this with the team, in addition we do have a car valet service which does validate all cars with a tag, I will look into this personally ensure there is not a recurrence.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to host you back at the hotel in the near future and have the opportunity to experience the Spa and the rooftop Lounge.

Regards

Manish Nambiar
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 weeks recently. On the whole, it is an excellent hotel, one of the best I have stayed in over the past 2 years. The rooms are well done and there are enough spaces through out the hotel for you to engage with your friends on work. The breakfast buffet is also nice and the coffees served in the breakfast are E.X.C.E.L.L.E.N.T, yes they are that good. Fitness center is nice, however, the pool is a little small. The Italian restaurant that recently opened serves excellent food, do try their lasagne!

As the hotel has recently opened, they are still getting through with some initial adjustments. We had 1 instance where they was no hot water in the washroom and 2 where there was no water at all. The service in the breakfast can be a bit slow at times, some electrical shutdowns, etc.

If I go back to Nairobi again, will I choose the same hotel? ABSOLUTELY YES, WITHOUT A DOUBT!

Room Tip: The road side rooms can be a bit noisy and some rooms are a little smaller than the others.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Talha K
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 December 2013

No hot water in the room for 3 days and despite repeated requests, still in the same rooms. Air conditioner not working and still not fixed. Requested for an iron and a cheap 3rd rate version was delivered - ended up leaving black marks on my white shirt. Asked for coffe making facilities and the kettle did not work- called at 0530 for a replacement and despite repeated calls, ended up walking downstairs in my pyjamas to Reception to get coffee and a new kettle. Duty Manager did not respond for 1 1/2 hours. Coffee in the Restaurants always cold and the Espresso was the same. Generally overpriced for all items and the food is average at best. Generally low levels of staff training and competence. I am a seasoned business traveller and would never use this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Gary S
Dear Gary S,

On behalf of Kempinski, please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay at The Kempinski Villa Rosa the on 9th to 11th December 2013 .

We strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. To prove to you that we take every complaint seriously, we will ensure that your next stay will be better and you will get a chance to experience the Kempinski flair once again given chance

We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us in your next visit. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments concerning your stay. Thank you.

Manish Nambiar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I've been to the Kempinski a few times since it opened, once for an event and twice for a meal. I must say that the level of service is far beyond similar hotels in Nairobi or anywhere is Kenya. The staff is friendly, helpful and most importantly knowledgable.
The food is brilliant and became better every time I visited. Bearing in mind, the first time I went the hotel was still in its soft opening. However, even then, I didn't have much to complain about - not about the food and neither about the service.

The lobby has a small coffee & pastry cafe at the back - I think the pastries can be improved on, but the selection is ample and they serve something for everyone's taste.

I am looking forward to going back to the Kempinski and try out their new restaurants that will be opening soon as well as their gym and spa. One thing I did struggle with - their tight parking in the basement... :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sbahety
portland, Maine
Reviewed 27 November 2013

After approx. three weeks of traveling around western Kenya we arrived back in Nairobi for a few days of R & R before returning home. The Villa Rosa Kempinski exceeded our expectations in every way. Staff was outstanding, the rooms were quiet and comfortable and food in restaurant was excellent. I would strongly recommend this hotel. This was our first time staying in a Kempinski hotel but will not be our last.

Room Tip: Front side of building is a little noisy due to busy road but the extremely comfortable beds and bed...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 25 November 2013

After spending a considerable five years in Africa and being well versed with the level of professionalism/ (unprofessionalism, in some cases), the newly opened Villa Rosa Kempinski in Nairobi took me by surprise! My family had a memorable stay out there.
Not only was it a cleverly designed modern structure but also a beautiful one. Even though all the restaurants are not functional at this stage, the one that was open was magnificent. My resolution to watch what I eat has gone down the drain, as the chefs came up with an irresistable menu and managed to up-sell their scrumptious wares! Darn!!!
Having said that, I look forward to visiting the hotel again in the near future when the restaurants are open and running. The staff was pro active and polite and extremely patient with my precarious toddler! Thanks team Villa Rosa- See you all soon!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
ManishNambiar, General Manager at Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear Sbn07,

Thank you so much for your review on Villa Rosa Kempinski Nairobi, and selecting the hotel as your preferred choice of accommodation during your visit to Nairobi.

My team and i are extremely pleased to read that you were happy with the design of the hotel, quality of food and level of service. I will most definitely pass on your compliments to the entire team.

Look forward to welcoming both you and the family back in the near future for when our restaurants (88 Pan - Asian and Tambourin - Moroccan Lounge) will also be open. Lucca, our Italian restaurant is opening very soon on the 06th Dec.

In case we can support with future reservations to provide yet another memorable stay in Nairobi, please do get in touch.