“Two disappointing visits in a row.”
Review of Emerald Garden

Emerald Garden
Ranked #169 of 574 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've been to the Emerald Garden on a number of occasions in a couple and as part of larger groups. Each time we have enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere. Two weeks ago we went on a Monday night and we were one of two tables to be looked after. This meant the waiting staff were extremely attentive and at times too much so. Being lazy we ordered the mixed starter for two which was delicious. I am a slower eater than my other half (but not so slow in case he gets greedy) and before I had finished our main courses came out. For my main I ordered the Duck Red Curry. Unfortunately I am a creature of habit and love this dish in the UK. Some might say don't order duck in Kenya as not many people eat it but as I'd enjoyed the food previously I went for it. Sadly the meat was incredibly fatty and however it was prepared for cooking there was bone and gristle. I ate what I could but was really disappointed. The duty manager cleared the table and asked if there was a problem and he was keen to pass the comments onto the kitchen.

Last Wednesday we went again as a group and this time my other half was let down. He ordered a Yellow Chicken Curry which he found had gristle in the dish. A different duty manager went to speak to the kitchen and was told it must be aubergine. The point was made that we knew the difference between both and it wasn't a vegetable of any description. Having said that the rest of the group including me enjoyed our food.

Two poor experiences in a row means we'll be staying away for now.

1  Thank Hampt0n
There are newer reviews for Emerald Garden

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Second time here and again very good quality food! Nice ambience inside and outside! Pretty authentic Thai food with huge variety. Service team needs a little training but super friendly with a big smile ... almost like in Thailand!

Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived and were quickly addressed to, menu was of wide variety to suite everyone, we didnt have to wait long for the food too. I would recommend the boneless chicken with mango sauce..

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I'd arranged a family dinner there since I hadn't seen them in a year. When I walked in I was impressed with the restaurant and got a warm welcome.

We ordered our starters and unfortunately the vegetarian soup had a piece of chicken in
it! Being a strict vegetarian I was very disappointed with this. The assistant manager did come after I had complained, however there was not much he did apart from offer a replacement. I was already put off by my food at which point he offered to say that the entire food bill would be waived off. Considering I didn't want to ruin this family dinner, we went ahead with the main dishes.

We finally asked for the bill which had the the whole food and drinks bill. I did question this and the assistant manager then changed his mind and said that only the charge for the soup was going to be waived off.

At this point, I was extremely disappointed as not only was I served something that was non-vegetarian but the assistant manager also went back on his word. I was by no means out for a free meal - however in a situation like this you would expect to be compensated appropriately.

The assistant manager had to consult his superior as to whether the entire food bill should have been waived off, as promised. However, this was not the case and we were offered a small discount on the food bill.

I would never ever return to this restaurant. Not only was the food awful, but the service was terrible too, considering it wasn't even very busy! I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone- there are so many better restaurants out there!

2  Thank Londonbasedreviewer
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

The food was quite good. The waiter recommendations were great. A good selection of vegetarian meals as well. The Resturant is beautiful. Only thing lacking is music. There was some annoying house music playing- not really fitting for the setting. We enjoyed it but it wasn't a great option for the children- it was too formal. It's a good option for couples or friends.