“Tourist trap but interesting nonetheless”
Review of Bomas of Kenya

Bomas of Kenya
Book In Advance
US$69.00*
Half-Day Cultural Tour of Bomas of Kenya in Nairobi
US$220.00*
and up
Nairobi National Park tour David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage Giraffes And...
US$100.00*
and up
Nairobi National Park, Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Center, Karen Blixen Museum...
More attraction details
Owner description: Each boma (homestead) in this cultural village was built using traditional specifications of myriad Kenyan tribes; through architecture, crafts, music and dance this village serves to preserve Kenyan culture.
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The variety of dances exhibited is fascinating, the acrobats well worth the entry price, and the traditional villages of each tribe in Kenya out the back, very interesting. I found the taboos on building the huts particularly interesting - some tribes had an all male building crew, some had both men and women, and a few had an all female building crew. The Maasai in particular, have women build the entire house, and they dread short ladies, as they don't use ladders (unsure why - other tribes do), and so each woman builds the hut to her own height. If you are five feet, and your husband is six feet five, this is a bit of a problem...

1  Thank cdn-npl

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel booked this excursion for me and there are mixed reviews. Overall I felt I came away with a deeper knowledge of African and Kenya tradition that I often reference but the event wasn't as impressive as I was expecting. The grounds are nice and have potential.

Seeing the traditional homes was the most rewarding but it was my guide that made the difference and gave me an understanding of the types of homes, the location and function in society. I really appreciate the history.

The dancing was nice but a little long. It was interesting to see the different types of dance and dress and it provided me insight that customs are different than what I expected.
There were not many people there when I visited which allowed me to take as many photos as I wanted.

They have refreshments for a small price.
The place is a distance from the city center so be ready for a 30-40min ride. It gave me a chance to see parts of the city.

The entrance price was significantly cheaper than the tour cost but it was worth the private taxi and the history lesson.

HINT: you probably could get a taxi to take you and wait for much cheaper than the hotel booked tour.

1  Thank atina1
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Bomas was overall a good experience, but you should remember that if you order food, it will take a long time to get to you
seeing the dances is fine but all the performers are the same and wear the same costume so this takes away some of the vibes.
the lighting at the dance arena is very bad and the reflectiona off the stge are very annoying.
the staff, especially the ones that accompanied us in the village mock-up visit were very kind and informative.
i consider this a must see in Nairobi

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The various dance programs from different ethnic groups within Kenya are a treat to watch. The performers interact with the audience very well.

There are also sample huts made from different materials depending on when/where they are from. It's probably best to go with a guide to see these huts after the show instead of on your own b/c there is not much information you can glean from the very basic signs posted near the hut.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

The Bomas are very interesting to see and can be done in one hour. From 3-5 pm there is a show featuring dances from different tribes. This was my favorite part of the visit. We also had lunch at the restaurant. It was ok.

1  Thank Sarah R