“#1 restaurant in Nairobi...really?”
Review of Tin Roof Cafe

Tin Roof Cafe
Ranked #14 of 657 Restaurants in Nairobi
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Quiet, quirky day-time cafe perfect for light, healthy lunches with great salads and fresh, exotic smoothies, juices and excellent coffee hand-roasted in Nairobi.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I came across this restaurant on tripadvisor, looking for a new place to take my children for a Saturday lunch. We have done most restaurants in Nairobi and was hunting for a change.
For a change, we got a change. The place is a short distance form our house and we NEVER noticed it all these years we have lived there.
We sat and the kids ordered pancakes and I, a carrot & ginger soup and a latte.
My soup was nothing to sing home about and the nutella pancakes came with one pot of nutella...for both kids. We were told nutella was out of stock and the waitress requested my children to share that tiny remaining portion... my 11 years old son promptly refused. We asked for marple syrup as a replacement, that also was out of stock. He has to content with a brownie. The banana/strawberry smoothie was not disappointing and my coffee was ok!
The environment, a part from the indigenous trees really needs some gardening. The seating area is adorned with old and uncomfortable chairs.
Frankly, I do not know how this restaurant made it to the top of Nairobi restaurants...fishy!
The kids loved the bookshop, reasonably priced books and wide variety. If I go back there, It will be for the books!

2  Thank CheckInNGO

Reviewed 2 May 2014

After a few years in Nairobi, I have finally found a place that has good food - great salad bar - , great atmosphere, feels cozy and comfortable, is quiet and has good food. If you are looking for the little "around-the-corner-cafe" this is it. A place to become a regular.

El mejor rincón escondido de Nairobi. Después de varios años aquí por fin he encontrado una cafetería que es agradable, tranquila, tiene buena comida y es tranquilo. Es un lugar para convertirse en cliente habitual. Nada que ver con Art Cafè o Java. Lo dicho: de lo mejor en Nairobi.

5  Thank Javier_Merelo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

First of all, one of the things I appreciate most about the Tin Roof Café is that it's not in a mall, as so many of Nairobi's eateries are. Instead, it's set amidst trees and gardens, not dressed up, but chic. Thought has been put into the interior, with photography on the wall and a book swap ready for a long afternoon's coffee.

Secondly, the food is delicious. The kitchen is small, and when the plates come out you can taste the fact that someone has spent time creating it, not simply throwing together a plate on a big conveyor belt. Add to that their Ottolenghi-inspired salad bar, which makes for a hearty, wholesome, and delectable lunch; the salads alone bring me back for more.

The staff are very friendly and efficient, and really seem to care about the quality of the food and whether you enjoyed your meal, without being over fussy nor constantly hovering.

I've yet to see someone take advantage of the pétanque pitch outside, but it's a wonderful atmosphere in which to enjoy everything from a healthy, delicious lunch, or to set-up with a good book and indulge in another slice of home-made carrot cake.

7  Thank Phil_at_large
Reviewed 29 April 2014

For the freshest salads, mouth-watering sandwiches, and best cappuccinos in town, the Tin Roof Cafe is the place to come. Even more than the food and drinks (which are not to be missed -- especially the pineapple-mint juice) the atmosphere is what keeps me coming back time and time again. The outdoor seating, with painted chairs and floral fabrics, remind me of my favorite cafes in France. There is also great wifi and for those who want to be more unplugged, a book exchange, where you can find something new to read while you pass away the afternoon at the Tin Roof!

8  Thank Eve M
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Tin Roof is a haven amidst the hustle and bustle of Nairobi, with a laidback but welcoming atmosphere, top service, super coffee and most importantly, excellent food. We were made to feel right at home during our visit and it was clear why the locals flock to this spot. A wide ranging menu covered plenty of options for breakfast, brunch or lunch and the daily selection of salads is worth going for alone. The terrace was good for a cloudy day but you can also sit in a very pleasant garden. There are some great shops surrounding the cafe where you can pick up some presents too, which makes it ideal for visitors.
Well worth the trip to Karen and a must if you're in the area!

6  Thank LCOSP