“The most incredible hotel I've stayed in.”
Review of House of Waine

House of Waine
Ranked #20 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 20 November 2011

This hotel was the first and last stops on a two week holdiday in Kenya/Tanzania for myself and my mum, and it was absolutely AMAZING. The staff were incredibly friendly and always went out of their way to accommodate our requests - after seeing the "Malaika Suite" (their presidential suite), we asked if there was any possibility of us being able to use it, and they upgraded us, free of charge, for two nights. When asked if we could dine out by the pool for breakfast, they had it all prepared for us the following mornings (Patrick was our waiter and he was delightful!). When we had a cocktail each night, they remembered what we had had the previous night and asked if we wanted the same (inredibly cheap, and delicious!). They had a couple of rugs in our room that I really quite liked, and so they sent one of the housekeepers out to track down where it was from and how much they cost, without the slightest whinge. When we asked about massages, they contracted a lady named Grace who was just perfect for what we wanted.
The food was first rate, absolutely delicious - four courses, a different option each night and cooked perfectly.
The accommodation itself was beautiful - after a week long safari in Tanzania, we walked back into the House of Waine foyer and felt as if we were returning home.
All in all, this hotel is definitely the most amazing accommodation I've ever stayed in. If we do return (which hopefully is on the cards in the next few years), the House of Waine will definitely be our first stop - I don't have enough words to describe how amazing our stay was. The biggest thank you to all the staff for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 October 2011

Several visits to Nairobi - 1st visit to House of Waine
The hotel was excellent; staff service fantactic - friendly and very helpfull. We loved the rooms - luxurious - great beds - very clean - superb bathrooms and great location.
The reception staff were particularly helpful in arranging transport to the various places we wanted to visit and in helping us sort out airport transport etc ..
Unfortunately, the food really let the hotel down. I have been travelling since I was in my teens and have a very hardy approach to ensuring my nutritional status, having visited many places on what can only be described as a frayed shoestring!
We stayed here for 2 nights. On the first evening we were served chicken that was so overcooked, we could not cut it. The dessert tray, which looked fantastic, included a creme desert with cream that was completely soured. Our first breakfast was OK. The second dinner was worse, the vegetables were not cooked (at all), including the potatoes. Seeing that all 4 of us had left our food practically untouched, the waiters called the young chef out. This was a tad embarrassing but I suspect, they were trying to make a point (their service was great). The chef was not impressed - no apology and a curt statement explaining that that was how they served the veg at House of Waine. I enjoy blanched veg at home but these were simply not cooked and I am afraid I have never come accross a restaurant anywhere that serves raw potatoes.
We had an early breakfast before leaving for the airport and I cannot begin to describe the scambled egg served to my father - it wasn't burnt but somehow had gone brown??!! The bacon was acidic and off.
So, great hotel but I would not take the risk of staying there again due to the food. I think in view of this, that Trip Advisor should add an overall score for food as the score I am about to give is not going to reflect these issues.
As we wanted to eat in the Hotel and were staying away from the other main hotels, we were somewhat stuck with what House of Waine could offer (Having done Carnivore to death).
Disappointed to have to leave this review & wondering if chef has changed since previous reviews - I noted that other guests were also leaving their food.
HB

Room Tip: Request a double room with balcony facing the garden
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank hellsbells
Reviewed 21 September 2011

My husband and I spent one night here on our honeymoon in July, it was the most fantastic experience. We received a very personal service and were treated like royalty, not only were we treated to the master suite in the house but we had a private dinner just for us where the room was covered with rose petals and lit by candles and a fire, it was incredibly romantic and having just spent 4 days in the Masai Mara it was the most amazing luxury. we were served by only one member of staff who looked after us the next morning at breakfast as well, it was just wonderful, we both wished that we could have stayed for longer and feel totally blessed that our "overnight" hotel was such a highlight! thank you House of Waine and to Imagine Africa for booking it for us.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The hotel offers all amenities of western comfort in a romantic setting with an "Out of Africa" feeling. The spacious garden with the inviting patio and pool are a serene place to reflect. The house itself feels like staying at somebody's home.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2011

House of Waine is a top boutique hotel in Karen, a luxurious suburb of Nairobi, just minutes from Wilson, the small airport used for safari trips. The hotel is quiet and elegant and you can relax here after a long flight into Kenya, before you start your safari.
We were very pleased with the rooms, food and all services. While you are there you should visit Karen Blixen's memorial house and the Kazuri workshop, in which single mothers make world known jewelry. The hotel can arrange you in minutes a car to drive you around.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RaduZaciu
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We had stayed 2 nights at the sublime Giraffe Manor but couldn't get in for the last night before our safari, so had opted to move to House of Waine. By the end of our stay we were calling it the House of Paine!

Granted, they had a lot to live up to after Giraffe Manor but it is such a shame because House of Waine has enormous potential.

The rooms and bathrooms are very nice. Huge proportions, nice decor and very clean. The problem really lies with the management and atmosphere. While the staff were lovely, they just did not try to ensure that your needs were met. It was obvious that there is no strong management presence here to guide their staff.

A male in our party commented that the atmosphere was clinical. He was right, zero atmosphere! There also appeared to be no other guests, it felt deserted. The only time we saw another person was at out 6am breakfast the next day to make our flight to Samburu.

They have a gorgeous pool and Cabana area and we sat out there for several hours. Not once did a staff member come near us to see if we wanted a drink. After at least 2 hours we sent the children to look for a waiter. We noticed that the cabana was wired with Bose speakers and enquired about music. The waiter said he thought we would not like to be bothered!

Considering that you are paying for all drinks etc you would think that the hotel would actually be keen to increase their revenue instead of you having to beg for a drink.

For a hotel that looks so lovely I truly hope that they change the leadership and bring this hotel up to the service standards that it deserves.

Room Tip: All rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank LelaAbuDhabi
Reviewed 10 July 2011

House of Waine was one of the first hotels I stayed in (been many since) on my first trip to Nairobi (December 2010).

I have no complaints about the accomodations or service, but I have found newer and nicer hotels to stay at in the suburbs of Nairobi since that time.

The rooms are nice and clean. The bathrooms are modern and well appointed. The restaurant was satisfactory.

When you take a trip to a place like Kenya you expect to have something that is a little more exotic or outstanding. There is nothing about this hotel that I would tell you was either of these two things.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends