“Good place to start a trip”
Review of The Heron Portico

The Heron Portico
Ranked #7 of 167 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We flew and stayed here on the first leg of a longer trip. Most importantly, we wanted something that was cheap and OK and it was cheap and much better than OK. I've not stayed in anything really upscale in Africa so maybe I'm unduly pessimistic, about what a high-end place might deliver but the Heron was great. Good response to email enquiry, efficient pick-up at the airport and nice restaurant and good place to acclimatise. On a non-hotel note, remember Nairobi is at altitude so it was surprisingly cold in July. If you are arriving and want something safe and reasonable, this is it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Heron Portico

Reviewed 16 August 2011

Rooms a bit on the small side and noisy, but clean. Facilities were good and staff were very helpful. Restaurant a bit on the expensive side for Nairobi but food was tasty.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed at The Heron (Court) Hotel on our way back from The Mara on route to Mombasa. The hotel was KSH11,000 per double room. We had 3 double rooms between us.
The restaurant was average. There were may items on the menu, but when ordering, much was not available for dinner. Breakfast was good, with lots of variety.
We did not find the staff as friendly or accomodating as we had experienced elsewhere on our 2 week trip. Staff in the coffee shop were much more friendly.
The rooms were clean and well equipped. We had adjoining rooms that had connecting doors which was grreat as we had kids with us.
Unfortunately, the boiler broke on the evening we arrived. We did not have hot water for the duration of our stay. The hotel would not negotiate a discount, but did agree to give us one of our 3 rooms as a late check out room for free. This would have typically been an additional 50%. We had to personally see the manager to arrange this though.
Good location, no A/C or wifi. Safe area, good taxi services. Good facilities. Coffee shop, gift shop, restaurant, business centre and swimming pool on site. Would consider staying here again when in Nairobi. On average good value for money but showing its age.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed here for 4 night. 2 nights before our Safari and 2 nights after. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the decor is lovely - a very african feel with all wood furniture.

The hotel has a restaurant, a snack bar and a pool area. The breakfast included in the price is great with lots of choice.

There is 24 hour staff and the hotel has security gates with security staff who are there all day and night.

I would definitly recommend you stay here, it is a 10minute walk from the city but this hotel is very laid back and relaxed.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Smitch84
Reviewed 16 July 2011

The Heron is immaculately clean, the rooms are great. We stayed in the Superior and the Duluxe...I would definitley recommend paying the extra 2000KSH for a Duluxe room, it has a sitting area aswell as kitchen with microwave, kettle and toaster.

The hotel has a lovely pool area, aswell as a friendly relaxed cafe/snack bar and then the main restaurant. The food and drink is good value for money.

There is a shop in the hotel and a very cheap internet cafe.

I would definatly stay here again, the hotel is about 10 minutes walk into the city but far enough away to feel safe. The hotel has 24 hour staff and security who operate the gates at the front of the hotel.

If I had to say anything negative about the heron it would be that the staff are a little bit slow especially during breakfast times in the restaurant...apart from that I loved this place.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 4 July 2011

After looking at some hotel options where we would feel safe and still be close to the city and airport, this was definitely a great place to stay. Breakfast was included in the price, the hotel staff went over and above to make us happy, there was cheap internet and also a nice cafe that had great food.
We chose this hotel because we were doing a safari that left from Hotel Kivi Millian but we didnt like the look of that and the reviews were pretty poor. It was only a 3 min walk from the Heron to Kivi Millian so definitely worth staying at the Heron. We had a nice room for the time that we stayed there and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Finding a good, clean and afforable place in Nairobi is difficult. The city is notorious for its overpriced dumps. The Heron is a fresh breather amidst all the dust and bustle and traffic jams typical of Nairobi. A real gem and because of its proximity easy to get to the airport.
On arrival I asked if breakfast was included in the price and if possible to deduct it from my account as I had to leave at 6 in the morning to catch an early flight. I was assured that breakfast would be served at 5:30 and was told that they do cater for all their customers and could trust them that breakfast would be served promptly.
The next morning I arrived at 5:30 to a cold, dark diningroom with no-one in sight. I went to the front desk and the clerk got on the phone and organised something but I was kept in the dark as to what. A security officer arrived and some more phone calls were made but needless to say that by 6 when my taxi arrived the diningroom was still dark and empty. I asked again if I was being refunded for breakfast and they told me to be patient because they will make sure I get my breakfast. I am still waiting.....A cup of coffee would have sufficed.
Would I stay there again? For sure! But next time I will make sure the chef gets a wake-up call too!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo