The Heron Portico
US$94
US$300
US$244
Trip.com
All reviewsfront office managerexcellent hotelbusiness tripnice poolheated pooldouble roombreakfast was includedbusiness centergift shopenjoyed my stayconference facilitiesmain restaurantshort stayhome away from homerooms are spaciouseast africanairobi traffic
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Two night stay...although I spent a lot of time at the hotel before as other friends were staying there for 6 days. The staff is attentive and polite. My room was great with a sitting area and a good bathroom. There are safes for your valuables. The room has some quirky hallways and stairs that have to be navigated between towers. The pool was a mess while we were there but they did offer to take us to a sister property if we wanted to use the pool. (it got fixed just as we were leaving - after draining it and repairing it.). The food was okay...happy hour on the patio was nice, just wish they had happy hour on the inside bar too. I would stay here again. Nice gym and they also have a sauna. The lobby provides a nice area to gather our group. Breakfast was good but it took a lot to get coffee refills. They also charged me (not really as breakfast was included) for two breakfasts both days even though I was only 1 person staying in a double room - I gave up trying to get that straightened out..as it was included.

Room Tip: There are better and worse rooms...I think I got a more deluxe room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

I thank you for taking the time off to provide us valuable feedback on Trip advisor regarding your stay at the The Heron Portico.

At the very outset please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us with regards to coffee service at restaurant. Your feedback on the experience at the hotel has been noted and shared with the team.

It is feedback from esteemed guest like you that helps us to constantly introspect our systems and procedures and assists us in striving for a better product and service.

Warm regards

Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Hotel is very well located and has good conference facilities. Also the food is good and a lot of variety in the menu in the restaurant. The room is very comfortable and the bathroom very clean. The Spa and the Gym is also excellent.

The Wifi in the Hotel is very good and free.

A very good experience overall.

Room Tip: The Room facing the main road.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Heron Portico!

Thank you very much for posting your reviews about your experience at The Heron Portico, Nairobi.

I am delighted to note that you have had an enjoyable stay and it was a pleasure to have been of service to you.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Heron Portico.

Kind regards

Reviewed 27 May 2014

After a very good stay in January 2014 at this hotel (with accommodation and conference) this time in May we experienced similar high quality with this hotel in general and its staff.
It is very reliable: from first booking contact (quickly confirmed, good rates with no hidden costs), via airport pick up (on time, save driving and helping with getting my mobile card recharged (this time it was Samuel but also the other drivers are good!) and very reasonable price),check-in (very efficient when a lot of people inquire at the check in counter), any inquiries we had for accommodation or the conference rooms were followed up quickly (thanks to Paul and his colleagues who really took care of us so that we and our guests at the conference felt comfortable (providing all services on time but not disturbing our work); thanks in particular to David Mwaniki who guaranteed that any issue and special requirements was followed up immediately, in particular if we had special requests (conference and business related) it was never a problem. In other (sometimes more expensive) hotels it is not as easy as it is in Heron.

With the current security situation in Nairobi I also consider this Hotel as safe with regard to its security procedures, the location close to but not in / at main business district and roads.

The only issue (but which have with any hotel of higher standard in Nairobi and other cities in Africa): I prefer mosquito nets (compared to repellent). Would be nice to have this at the next stay.

Room Tip: to the front is the best in terms of ventilation and distance to entrance (street is not loud)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 977Karsten
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write down the review and sharing it with fellow travellers.

Your feedback is very encouraging and I have shared it with the entire team. They are delighted that you had a wonderful stay in all aspects and are thrilled on being appreciated for their efforts.

Positive feedback from our guests are always a strong motivation to all of us to continuously provide a high level of services to our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of a safari trip to East Africa for some budget rest and relaxation. The rooms were extremely clean with nice hot showers. Breakfast in the morning was pleasant and the restaurant excellent. Most importantly we felt safe at all
Times here.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. As a hotel, we take immense pride in the fact that we work to make our guests feel at home. Feedback like this motivates the entire team to perform even better and more efficiently.

Thank you again. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Warm regards

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was recommended this hotel but was very disappointing. Paying 150USD a night for rooms without A/C is too much.
The food in the restaurant was poor and the one evening I ordered a Fajita and was served a plate of watery chicken and peppers in a bowl. When I told them this was not a fajita they disputed it. I Googled a picture for them and the chef had the cheek to come to the table and tell me is was a Mediterranean version!!! I informed him that it was a Mexican dish and having lived in the Mediterranean for 20 years I think i may have seen it!!
I told them i didn't want any more of this rubbish. My 2 other guests also had issues. One ordered breaded chicken. It said 4 on the menu but they served 3 and took 45 minutes to bring the other one. My other guest ordered fish fillet with potatoes and got fillet steak with rice!!!
They then had the nerve to present me, having seen the Google picture, with their version of a fajita but they didn't have tortillas so wrapped part of the chicken mess in an Indian paratha. Amazing. I will never go to this place again. Sarova Panafric across the way is a far better option.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have A/C so look elsewhere
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Martin C
sanjeev t, General Manager at The Heron Portico, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out to write about your visit.

It is extremely disappointing to know that we did not match your expectations. I am thankful that you spared time to speak to our Duty Manager and explained to him the points in details. I assure you that we have already started working on the things that we missed out on. As promised to you, you will notice a difference in service levels the next time you visit the hotel.

May I request you to treat this as an isolated incident. Please do not let this obstruct your faith in us. I look forward meeting you in future. Please do write to me at gm@heronhotel.com the next time you plan your visit to Nairobi.

Warm Regards