“Friendly, clean, not bad for a budget stay!”

Kivi Milimani Hotel
Ranked #140 of 169 Hotels in Nairobi
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Upon reading previous reviews I was expecting to walk into something of a crime scene, but am pleasantly surprised! The room is old but clean, with lovely white bed linen and a shower with better temperature and pressure than my own at home. Staff are so friendly and helpful, Joseph at the bar is great to chat to. Toilet does run for a while after flushing. Good bar and pool area. Food can take a while but is homemade, filling and delicious. Huge serves. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea I have certainly stayed in far worse places and have been impressed with my stay to date.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hannah2137

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I would never stay here again. The front desk staff did not speak much English which made it difficult to communicate. I only stayed at the hotel since I was leaving on an Intrepid Tour. I flew in a day early and the hotel made me 'check out' and then 'check back in' during my 2 nights stay; which meant paying and then having to change rooms for no obvious reason. They did have a safe but it wasn't overly secure, it would have been easy to walk in and just say a room number and have access to all the contents of the safe. I had dinner at the hotel restaurant both nights and the food took about 1 hour to be prepared. What made it worse was that my friend had her purse snatched up from the table without all 5 of us at the table noticing. After re-playing everything during the meal, it was suggested that it was an inside job as only the staff members came to the table during the meal. My friend had everything stolen including her passport, wallet, camera, ipad and e reader. Later that night my other friends had people trying to break down their hotel room door while they were in there sleeping. Breakfast was virtually inedible. I really hope that Intrepid Tours chooses a different hotel to start their trips from as these events left a sour note in many people's minds during our trip.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Katherine A
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Used the hotel as part of an intrepid tour (they leave and finish here). Figured for convenience would stay here - not the worst hotel i've ever stayed in, but definitely not great (you are in Africa after all so you have to expect it a little bit). No hot water and a leaky toilet - beds relatively clean. Stayed a second night in the middle of the tour (did two intrepid tours back to back) and the room was much better. Hot shower and a toilet that flushed. Talking to other people on the tour I would recommend you ask for a room on floor 3 or above as the rooms on floors one and two were all rubbish. The staff at the front desk on check in were rude and unhelpful.
On the plus side the pool and grounds were quite nice.

Room Tip: Level 3 and up seemed to have nicer rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Started a trip where the meeting place was this hotel and figured for convienence I would start at his hotel too. After reading the reviews, I figured people were just being picky and I would give it a try.

Got there at 6:30am on the morning we were supposed to arrive. They gladly allowed us to go into our room early and then we ran out with our tour guide for the day. After a busy day we returned and the next day enjoyed the amenities of the hotel.

Amenities: Beautiful pool and grounds. Surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the city. No noisy city sounds. A nice quiet hotel. Restaurant at the hotel including food service by the pool. Hotel included a nice buffet breakfast which included an omlette bar and choices of hot and cold dishes.

One day after returning from breakfast (and being awoken by the housekeeper) we realized our room was not even cleaned, just the drapes opened. Not that we cared, but this was proof later that someone was in our room and my friend had had a large sum of money stolen from her.

Besides the hotel being a perfectly reasonable hotel, I would hope they would try to resolve this issue. After meeting with our tour guide my friend tried to speak with the manager who assured us that he would be checking who was on the cleaning schedule. We left the next morning but were throughly shaken by the incident. Following up with phone calls from our guide were not returned and my friend never recouped her money.

We were never encouraged to put our money in the safe (in lobby) which I don't prefer anyway..would much rather use a room safe.

So in the future....enjoy your stay here..just lock up your stuff and put any valuables in their safe (but who knows it if really will be safe..)

Would I stay here again: heck no!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrsKnicki
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had two nights at this hotel. It was basic and clean, without any bugs and issues. It is in a safe, good neighborhood of Nairobi within walking distance of downtown. It was a little expensive ($100 USD) per night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel is far from the city center with facilities in pretty bad shape. I stayed only one night before my intrepid trip began. The room was decent but the toilets were quite bad. No wifi in the rooms. For intrepid travelers, and for one night, it is something you can live with. The outside are was quite nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank GOB1986
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

The lovely foyer at the Kivi Milimani Hotel set me up to expect a beautiful room. It wasn't. It was very average. But I was only using it for a bed before and after my Intrepid tour. And I have stayed in worse. But the staff were perfect. So polite. Spoke excellent English. Recommended great restaurants. And organised everything to my wishes. Even sent me out with a driver/bargainer to go shopping.
So thanks Kivi Milimani. I appreciate it