“Nice little place to hide away!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris - TEMPORARILY CLOSED

Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris - TEMPORARILY CLOSED
Ranked #27 of 250 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Oregon
“Nice little place to hide away!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

Trevor, Charity and Hannah were wonderful hosts for my family and I. Their lodge is simple, warm and inviting. As previous reviewers have noted, you are treated as one of the family when you are staying here.
It is located quite a way from the city center, which is both a pro and con. The pro is that you get away from the chaos, the con is that it is a fairly expensive cab ride to go anywhere. It was a $50 ride for us to go out to dinner at the closest decent restaurants.
We stayed here for a couple of days immediately after arriving in Kenya, which was perfect. The Kikuyu Lodge was the perfect place to unwind after a 30 hour trip (yuck!) and to get adjusted to the time change and travel fatigue.
Another pro to staying here is that Trevor can set you up with all your safari and touring arrangements. He organized a 3 day trip to the Masai Mara for us and then a few days later (after we had moved into our apartment), he helped us hire a car and driver for the day so that we could tour the sites within the city (Nairobi Museum, Elephant Orphanage, Giraffe Center, Carnivore, and even a side trip to the mall!).

Prior to leaving on this trip, I spent many, many hours researching and sending emails, and Trevor was the most helpful person I encountered. Some of the 5 star resorts won't even return your email or answer your questions (poorly I might add) with some type of form repsonse. Not Trevor! He responded quickly and personally to every question I had, and I was very grateful for this.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Great-Big-Head
Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris - TEMPORARILY CLOSED, responded to this review, 3 April 2011
It is always a pleasure to know that we have happy guests. When people are travelling it is a special time for them whether on holiday or business, we respect their special time and assist in any way possible. It is especially important and gratifying to get good reviews and know that we are appreciated and others will find us in this very competitive market. As a small hotel offering Safaris and Tours it is difficult to compete with the marketing budget of larger establishment so we are grateful for your recommendations as we can generally offer a more personal service.

Best Regards

Trevor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Zürich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

Kikuyu Lodge is a place I would always go to (again) when I am in Nairobi. If you like a simple but clean family run hotel/accomodation with an uncomplicated, very friendly and cozy atmosphere you are just right at the beautiful and small Kikuyu Lodge in the agglomeration of Nairobi. It is for sure the well-established team that makes the Lodge what it is. We thank Trevor, Charity and Hannah plus Jeff so much for their kindness. The prices are very fair for what they offer and we felt completely safe and relaxed on that ground; from the beautiful garden, to the tasty food, to the comfortable bed we enjoyed... It's a bit far from the airport but never mind, the owner (Trevor) can arrange pick up and you are there in ca. 30 min. to 40 min. If you like to go to the City you can find transport (Matatus) just in front of the Lodge. There's no problem with that... Hope you will enjoy your next stay in Nairobi at Kikuyu... (maybe we will meet there). Sonja from Switzerland

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sonjah0
Odense, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

I arrived late a Thursday evening without a booking and they invited me in for the night .
A friend and I, had I wonderful day there again in there homely way of running the Bed & Breakfast. Lovely bed and hot water in the associated bathrooms.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JesJac
Whitehorse, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

This was a perfect place for us to stay. We were based out of Nairobi, but spent most of our time exploring Masai Mara, Nakuru, and Lamu. Trevor made all of the arrangements for our trips and him and his staff made us feel at home while we were staying at the lodge. The food was home-cook and delicious. We had a great experience!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jerussell
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

A great, quiet place to stay. The staff was friendly, helpful, and accomodating. Great homemade meals. It's about a half an hour from the center of Nairobi which can be great or a nuisance. On the positive side, it's quiet and the grounds are beautiful. On the downside it's a $40 cab ride to and from the city. But if you're willing to pay that it's a friendly, cozy, clean place to stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CrossContinentCouple
Kampala, Uganda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2010

My very good friend and I were in Nairobi in June 2010 and we both had the pleasure of calling Kikuyu Lodge our home. The owner of the place and his dear wife plus all the members of staff treated my friend and I with the utmost respect from the moment we arrived. We were welcomed from the airport by a driver sent by the owner of kikuyu lodge. At the lodge, we enjoyed the meals, it was always clean, well maintained and better still, even though the hotel was a little far from Nairobi, we were never stranded. The drivers chosen to take us where we needed to go were very helpful. The next time I am in Kenya I know I will be welcomed back to Kikuyu Lodge.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2010

For my first African adventure I wanted help with planning where to go and what to see. i didn't want a big group coach type tour, yet I didn't have an enormous budget. I also wanted a mix of Wildlife, Scenery, Local culture and a restful time at the beach. Kikuyu Lodge Hotel has great reviews and came on recommendation from friend. They looked after us from the time we arrived at the airport to the time we left. They were not phased by our ignorance of culture and geography. The food was great, home style, and fresh. Safari drivers and accommodation they arranged were all fine. I have not complaints only that I would like more time, Kenya is a big place with lots to see.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple