“A Stop-over...Kikuyu Lodge Hotel”

Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris
Ranked #35 of 269 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Pointe Noire, Republic of the Congo
“A Stop-over...Kikuyu Lodge Hotel”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

A wonderful and warm hotel and the perfect way for me to relax and prepare myself for my next assignment. All my travel requirements, including pick up and drop off at the airport, were arranged without fuss or ado and the driver, Paul, was prompt and knew the city well.

The hotel is most welcoming. Intimate. Beautiful gardens. The local village / town is an exposure of Kenyan life.

Hannah, the cook / cleaner / hostess is marvellous and Trevor, the host, is amicable and knowledgeable of many things Kenyan. A good man to chat with.

A very good experience and I have no hesitation in recommending Kikuyu Lodge Hotel to any traveller.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mista-Chris
Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
We are always delighted when guests are happy enough to write reviews. Especially when they are seasoned travellers like Mista Chris an Australian who has travelled and worked in Africa many years and is himself in the business of constructing lodges and wildlife sanctuaries. Wishing him success in his venture in DR Congo.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I will stay at this lovely family-run lodge for my next visit & recommend it to my friends as everything about it was like home. The rooms were very clean, homely, peaceful & relaxing, set in a beautiful garden with lots of bird-life. It was excellent value & the friendly host & housekeeper, Trevor & Hannah, were keen to make one's stay run smoothly with an efficient taxi service to the nearby town-centre & a super swimming pool. The mealtimes were flexible to suit my programme & the generous breakfasts & dishes of fresh juicy fruit were memorable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Nothing pleases my staff and I more than when a guests says that they thought of our hotel as their home whilst in Kenya. Safaris are wonderful but when you need to return to base you need somewhere relaxing and comfortable and that is our desire. Many thanks for your review.
Soldotna, Alaska
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have stayed with Trevor and Hannah a couple times now, and each time it feels as though I am returning home. The lodge is warm and welcoming, Hannah is always cooking delicious food (and more than willing to accommodate vegetarians or teach yummy recipes like chapati!), and Trevor is indispensable in helping organize incredible excursions for my family and friends (such as safaris, gorilla trekking, boat tours, etc.). I cannot recommend Kikuyu Lodge Hotel enough to anyone looking for a spectacular home base for their East African adventure.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
I am very pleased to receive this review from our visitors from Alaska. Their trips become more adventurous each time they visit and it is a pleased to both host them here and arrange their wildlife and sightseeing trips. I am particularly glad that their Gorilla safari went well and was enjoyed by the group. Hannah's food always pleases out guests.
London
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Relaxing, excellent food and a great welcome. From meeting us at the airport to helping organise wildlife and scenic photographic trips. Trevor had good guides available for birdwatching and wildlife trips and then we went to the coast fishing with other contacts of his, staying in a cottage he arranged. He booked our internal flights and transfers. We are now regulars and will remain so, I highly recommend them when planning a trip to Kenya.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
What can I say, I and the staff here appreciate the compliment and are so pleased that the family enjoyed their stay and the safaris we organised. We exchanged e-mails freely back and forth to be sure they saw and visited what they desired and at a price in their budget. The family are a pleasure to host and have visit.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We (myself and 5 others) stayed with Trevor and Hannah at Kikuyu lodge as a midway break from a months volunteer teaching. Both Trevor and Hannah made us incredibly welcome from the off and made us very comfortable during our stay. We were apprehensive especially due to recent events in Nairobi but the hotel was on the outskirts and we could not have felt any safer. We had 3 adjoining rooms which was perfect for a party our size and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. Hannah was a superstar and looked after us all incredibly well, the food was lovely and she catered to all. Trevor organised our full itinery organising a safari in the masai mara, visits to the nearby sheldrick elephant orphanage and giraffe centre and also all our travel. He could not have been more helpful and having this organised was incredibly helpful allowing us to focus on other areas of the trip as it was all in capable hands. The lodge is beautiful and very homely making for a comfortable stay (the pictures do not do the lodge the justice it deserves.) Trevor and Hannah were both incredibly friendly and have become part of an incredible experience spent in Kenya. I would happily recommend Trevor, Hannah and the lodge to all including friends and family and the students next year. I hope to come back and visit again. I cannot thank you enough.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
It was a genuine please organising and managing this trip with the Wildlife Safari and Local Tour. I am pleased that they were so happy and appreciate their review.
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I have just spent 5 nights in Kykuyu lodge with my boyfriend while we were travelling in Kenya and it was very pleasent stay. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the dining area and garden are in a very nice style. Also the optional dinners were great. But most improtant at this place are Trevor and Hannah, who really made our stay absolutlely amazing. Trevor is great organiser and helped us make our itenerary of travelling even before we arrived to Kenya, the email communication was excelent and he was alos very helpful during our stay (renting car and driver, organising trips...). He also arranged a visit of Diani beach with great accomodation there and treated us in very friendly way. And Hannah could not do more to feel us as at home. I have never met such friendly people running a hotel and I reccomend this place to everybody who prefers small places rather then big hotels. It is true it is on suburb of Nairobi, but good starting point for visitng Karen Blixen center, girafe center ect. Also because the main road to Great rift valley is nearby, it is good place to start day trips to Naivasha, Hells gate or your safari tour to Masai Mara, Nakuru, Aberdare since you avoid the terrible trafic and aditional hour in Nairobi. Since Nairobi is rather expensive place, I have to say that for the service we recieved the price was more then fair. We hope to come back to Kenya and we will certainly stay at the Kikuyu lodge again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristyna U
Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
What can I say other than to thank them for their kind comments and how please we all are that they enjoyed their time with us and in Kenya as a whole. It is gratifying knowing that their few weeks of vacation met their expectations. We know that our visitors work hard through the year and that time on vacation is of special value and we try to treat it as such.
austria
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My wife and me stayed with Trevor and Hannah, the good soul of Kikuyu Lodge, for in total 4 nights in august. Trevor is perfect in organizing everything you need for your trip, you can book a whole tailormade safari or just a rental car, as you need it. when trevor heard that we were going to drive ourselves to uganda he even gave us a gps for free for two weeks, because we only had maps with us and he thought a gps would really be helpful for us!
the lodge itself has a very nice garden, a great livingroom for having your meals or just hanging around, the rooms are good even though you can see that the building was built more than 10 years ago so a little renovation sometime in the future would be nice.
One thing is important to know though: Kikuyu Lodge is on the outskirts of town, so it´s nearly impossible to get there by public transportation, that means you have to take a taxi (which of course trevor will gladly organize for you) everytime you want to go somewhere and come back.
All in all we were very pleased with our stay there and both Trevor and Hannah were very helpful and friendly so we can definitely recommend the place!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wueibi
Trevor2009, Owner at Kikuyu Lodge Hotel & Safaris, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
It is nice to know that after a guest has had faith to choose to stay with us, that we met their expectations. Because we are a small establishment it is interesting to be organising safaris arrangements on a personal level to meet requirements from Self Drive through to packaged Safaris as well as business or NGO requirements. I am delighted that this couple had such a good time on a very extensive self drive adventure from Kenya on into Uganda and I and my staff very much appreciate this review.