“Good place to stay if you want to be downtown or if you are taking a shuttle to Arusha”

Kenya Comfort Hotel
Ranked #62 of 164 Hotels in Nairobi
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 July 2011

This Hotel is reasonable in price. It is much nicer then the other small hotels in the area. The hotel has good security and you can walk to shopping, good coffee shops, places for dinner, etc. Downtown Nairobi can be a dangerous place and most of the time I avoid staying downtown. This hotel is a good option if you want or need to be in the city center. Rooms are small but clean. Breakfast is decent. The pub has a nice veranda to watch the street scene with a cold beer. Try to get the Resident's Rate as it is cheaper.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are nicer
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Napa, California
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We were on a very tight budget, and this was almost the end of our trip, as we had run out of time and money. We'd heard all the warnings about Nairobi! When our shuttle from Arusha stopped, and I glanced up and saw that a hotel recommended in Lonely Planet was just across the street, we immediately checked it out. Price (about $60/double incl. breakfast) was way above our budget, but other than that, we found it more than satisfactory. I have to agree with the review mentioning the shower - or the toilet, as well - for either one, it was a tight squeeze. But they were clean, and there was always enough hot water. I would recommend getting an interior room (they all had windows), as the street noise is annoying in the exterior rooms. We left for a few days, and got an interior room upon our return. Much nicer, quieter, and a nicer view. Security was excellent, staff always friendly, restaurant was more than adequate, and WiFi was consistently good - unlike a lot of the other places we'd stayed in Africa. Oh yes, there's a very slow elevator (a lift, for non Americans), but it saved a lot of stair climbing!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Kenya Comfort is a decent place, and the rooms are pretty nice, but it simply isn't worth the high price, not when there are several decent cheap hotels within two minutes' walk where you can get a reasonably comfortable room for less than half the price. You'll hear the same traffic noise, loud music, and drunken revelry every night, no matter where you stay in this area, so you might as well save some money while you're at it -- Kenya Comfort's rooms are certainly nicer than those of their neighboring backpacker-budget competitors, but not so much nicer as to justify the much higher price.

I liked my comfortable bed, and the nice bathroom with all-new fixtures. I liked the friendly desk staff. There is a restaurant which looked good, but I did not eat there and can't say whether the food was good. I think if they knocked about ten bucks off the price of a room, Kenya Comfort would be a better option.

If you are looking for a room downtown and want something a little nicer than what you'll get at the cheap backpacker places, I think Kenya Comfort might be a good choice. If you're on a budget, though, I don't think this place is worth the extra money.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank dumpendebat
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Stayed here for some "comfort" after volunteer work, to try and wind down and see what the city had to offer. The hotel itself is a good getaway from the bustling city with fantastic security (24 hour guards). We had a double room on the second floor, which was an adequate size with a mosquito net, decent fan and a cheeky little wardrobe stuck away in the corner. There was a bedside table and desk, which were useful to throw our possesions on. The shower had constant hot water and was cleaned everyday, as was the toilet. However the shower was interesting as you did have to squeeze yourself in if you didnt want the shower curtain to be your cape! Although, beggars can't be choosers!
The road adjacent to the hotel was quite noisy, with building works and nightlife, so maybe try and get a room that isnt facing the main road. However, the noise wasn't sufferable.
Downstairs had very good wifi connection and computers for those without laptops etc. The bar was a really nice hideaway, with cheapish drinks and satisfied any football viewing needs! As for the restaurant, the food was adequate and the prices mid range, but to be fair it was a big menu with a good variety of African and International.
Overall a very good stay and although slightly over our price range, it was a nice little treat for the couple of nights we had there! Thankyou to all the staff for a lovely welcome!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
usa, usa
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Don't kid yourself - you're not going to get a hotel you really like in Nairobi without paying through the nose. You won't enjoy staying at Kenya Comfort, but you won't hate the place either. YOu will be consoled by the fact that there is very little in this price range in Nairobi (around $50).
You can request a room away from street noise. It is very convenient for catching the shuttles to Arusha that leave from across the street. There is a large 24 hour Nakumatt half a block away. Security is good.
After a uneventful stay here on arrival, I thought I would try to find a 'nicer' place at a similar price when I returned to Nairobi. I booked at Impala Hotel in Westalnds after reading some reviews that seemed like it might not be too bad. It was a complete disaster site and I happily paid the cab fare to return to Kenya Comfort in town.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ltktraveler
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 19 April 2011

Last summer in vacation I decided to go at safari park of Kenya. I found the website www.bestkenyatravel and contacted through info@bestkenyatravel.com.

There they have a package within it wildlife seeing and stay in the hotel named Kenya comfort hotel. I was amazed so much after going there that the travel agency is giving a great opportunity to have a site seeing with wild life, 3 days cost of hotel and the other accommodation costs. But in my opinion you have to give much money for getting better service. So I’m suggesting that you should consider and remember about the cost of the travel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
spain
Reviewed 25 March 2011

I chose to stay at the Boulevard hotel, although it was a bit above my price range (the price quoted by my tour company was $95US & prices were similar online) as this was the adjoining point for my tour which left early the morning after i´d flown into Nairobi airport. However, when i arrived i was surprised to be told the price had gone up to $130US, which was extortionate for a hotel of this standard & my room didn´t even have aircon & i had a terrible nights sleep with the fan on! In europe i could have stayed in a 5star luxury hotel for less than this (having travelled around europe also).

I also had a problem with one of my US $ notes not being issued after 2004 & the hotel said they couldn´t accept this. Being on a budget & having limited funds, this was not a good start to my holiday.

However, when i returned from my tour i stayed at the Comfort Hotel which was a 2star but more than adequate for my needs & at $55 for the night, including breakfast, was much more affordable & i would recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget. It was only a short taxi ride from the Boulevard hotel or you could walk it in about 10mins. Being a solo traveller i was a bit wary of my safety & would not have walked alone perhaps but getting a taxi was fine.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo